The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Neuro-
Wow really?! I thought it would be less than that. This is awesome :cool: They look like such tough work though, my friend at Aberdeen lived in her room pretty much during her degree, although it worked in her favour as she ended up with a 1st!

Why do you need luck?! You should be in the top 50%! :wink:

I know I already am atm, and am in a better position than previous semesters to do better this semester, but I have an irrational paranoia that they'll suddenly be like "yeah, you're not allowed to intercalate." :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I know I already am atm, and am in a better position than previous semesters to do better this semester, but I have an irrational paranoia that they'll suddenly be like "yeah, you're not allowed to intercalate." :tongue:

Irrational fear is pretty irrational like pi, coincidentally it's pi day today! :ahee: Although, that's if you go by the American "mm/dd/yy" way of displaying dates so I guess not in Britain.....

I've also seen the light and I consider myself more of a Tau advocate anyway! :cool:
Original post by micoshea
Thanks, that's really good advice. I think I might just email them again looking for more detail on the academics.
In the feed back they said: 'You were awarded a good academic grade score, which placed you in the middle third of applicants'.
In my junior cert, my C was in Irish, and one of my Bs was religion. I would hope they would be weighted less than most subjects. The other B was English, which could have been pretty damaging to my score, bu this is countered by a few of my extra-curriculars (I hope). Still, I do see how I could have gotten a lower score than many of the other rejectees who have put their stats on line. And I still have 3 more uni's to hear back from...

Bear in mind that you need to have a perfect academic score to get the top third! You'd be placed in the middle third if you were even one mark off I believe (this year at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Neuro-
Irrational fear is pretty irrational like pi, coincidentally it's pi day today! :ahee: Although, that's if you go by the American "mm/dd/yy" way of displaying dates so I guess not in Britain.....

I've also seen the light and I consider myself more of a Tau advocate anyway! :cool:

Ewww tau :yucky:

Anyway, the medical school is planning on increasing the number of places for the intercalated degree and there was talk a while ago of even moving to a 6 year course and making it compulsory.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Have you applied for it yet? Or does that come later
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios

Have you applied for it yet? Or does that come later

Applications open next week and are open until the end of April, so I'll be applying sometime within then. :eek:
Reply 1985
Original post by Blobblecats
Bear in mind that you need to have a perfect academic score to get the top third! You'd be placed in the middle third if you were even one mark off I believe (this year at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all good, just got a conditional from Glasgow. I guess that's the end of Edinburgh, but so relieved to have an offer...
Reply 1986
I got placed on intl waiting list if I had no offers. Top 60 . Acad middle third non acad excellent top third ukcat 805 band 2 ib score 43/45. Do I stand a chance if I am on waiting list. They give out 34 offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tvgc2000
I got placed on intl waiting list if I had no offers. Top 60 . Acad middle third non acad excellent top third ukcat 805 band 2 ib score 43/45. Do I stand a chance if I am on waiting list. They give out 34 offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have no offers? Then there is a really high chance if you are in the waiting list! I'm on the same boat. But i have an offer, so i don't even think I qualify for this waiting list criteria
Reply 1988
Nope none yet. Waiting for one more. Whats your feedback like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1989
How many offers do they usually give out to those on the waiting list?
Reply 1990

Hi may I find out what you had in your non academic profile? Im an international student as well but did not get into the top 140.
I am on the waiting list also. Excellent for academic and non academic. Low UKcat 652.5 SJT 2. 34/40. SAD UKCAT killed me. No offer but scholarship wasted. If it's last year, I would be in top 34, ukcat only 8%. God want me to stay At home country
Reply 1992
I think I got 36 points guess 38 is needed for intl.

For my non academic. I am a president scout award as well as chief commisioners award recipient in singapore. Scout unit exco member Represented singapore in world scout jamboree 2011 in sweden. First aid certification.

2 job attachments one 3 day and 1 2 week at gastroenterology and colorectal surgery respectively. Volunteered night shift long term at hospital in wards to take care of elderly. Volunteered at mentally disadvantaged home for a week. And some other volunteering stuff im too lazy to mention

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1993
Can anyone clarify if I reject an offer the edinburgh waiting list still stands ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone clarify if I reject an offer the edinburgh waiting list still stands ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, to be eligible for the waiting list you have to have been unsuccessful with all your UCAS options for medicine. And they do check this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you do that? Just take whatever offer you've got!
Reply 1996
Because I have one more enforced gap year to apply for. Im in military now and can only enter in 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1997
Wow that explains why i was below average for my non academic achievements. Im from singapore as well. ORD in december?
Reply 1998
Hey, I'm EU and just got an offer . Is the Edinburgh dream finished for me, or is their still hope?
Reply 1999
Hey, I'm an EU near miss applicant and just got an offer for Glasgow . Is the Edinburgh dream finished for me, or would they ever reconsider my application if they run through their near misses and still have places left?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending