The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Could somebody score my application please?

GCSE: 9 A*s
AS:AAAA
A2: A*A*A*A* predicted
UKCAT: 740, SJT Band 1

Assuming a personal statement and reference that hit the mark..
Original post by sausagerolled
Could somebody score my application please?

GCSE: 9 A*s
AS:AAAA
A2: A*A*A*A* predicted
UKCAT: 740, SJT Band 1

Assuming a personal statement and reference that hit the mark..

The published guidelines say for 10 GCSEs, so don't know how the selectors will look at your case, but I think you'd get a full academic score (20/20).

740 is probably 1st quartile but might be 2nd if the Edinburgh cohort to very well on average. So you either get 6/6 or 4/6 for UKCAT.

Band 1 sjt is 8/8.

Personal statement score is out of 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Hi, could someone please tell me what I might be scored for academic please?

IGCSE: 4 A*s in sciences and math, 3 As in English Lit and First Language and ICT, 2 Bs in RS and BCS, and a C in Thai First Language

AS Results: 3 A's in Math, Biology, Chemistry. 1 B in Physics

A2 Results: A* in Math
Predicted: AAA (in three sciences)

UKCAT: 715 Average
SJT: Band 2
GCSEs: 9A* 1A, FSMQ A and an A* in EPQ taken two years early.
AS: AAAAA (bio, chem, maths, geog, gs)
A2s: A*A*A

UKCAT 725

my ps is alright and nice work experience etc. DO I STAND A CHANCE???????????
Is a 32/34 in academics still competitive at Edinburgh?

I get full points in most sections but My UKCAT is 723 which I'm pretty sure will be 2nd quartile so I'm worried how much that will affect my prospects.

I have no idea how my PS will score unless someone if willing to take a look but hopefully I could get 4/6.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GuyH
Hi, could someone please tell me what I might be scored for academic please?

IGCSE: 4 A*s in sciences and math, 3 As in English Lit and First Language and ICT, 2 Bs in RS and BCS, and a C in Thai First Language

AS Results: 3 A's in Math, Biology, Chemistry. 1 B in Physics

A2 Results: A* in Math
Predicted: AAA (in three sciences)

UKCAT: 715 Average
SJT: Band 2

Hey there, I may be wrong so heres the link to check:

I think you get:

4/10 for GCSE (B in any other subejects =2/5)
4/10 for AS (B in a science)
4/6 for SJT
between 6-8/8 for UKCAT

so between 18 and 20/34 as far as i can see
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by solarplexus

UKCAT 725

Original post by SuparNoob
Is a 32/34 in academics still competitive at Edinburgh?

I get full points in most sections but My UKCAT is 723 which I'm pretty sure will be 2nd quartile so I'm worried how much that will affect my prospects.

I have no idea how my PS will score unless someone if willing to take a look but hopefully I could get 4/6.

You both have a great great shout, surely you could tell that :tongue:
Reply 787
Original post by solarplexus

UKCAT 725

You'd get full marks, 10/10 (per selector) for GCSEs and A-levels.

UKCAT would probably be 2nd quartile, maybe first, so 6/8 or 8/8

SJT?

You definitely have a good chance:tongue: If your SJT is band 1/2, then it'll be even stronger!
Reply 788
Original post by Ceryni
You'd get full marks, 10/10 (per selector) for GCSEs and A-levels.

UKCAT would probably be 2nd quartile, maybe first, so 6/8 or 8/8

SJT?

You definitely have a good chance:tongue: If your SJT is band 1/2, then it'll be even stronger!

Hey, I recognise you from the cambridge applicant threads. Congrats on your trinity hall offer by the way! I applied to Emmanuel and just got my rejection. What's your order of preference in terms of medical schools?
Reply 789
Original post by Herisson
Hey, I recognise you from the cambridge applicant threads. Congrats on your trinity hall offer by the way! I applied to Emmanuel and just got my rejection. What's your order of preference in terms of medical schools?

Thanks!! I'm sorry to hear that :frown:
In utopia, where everyone loved me and gave me offers (no chance of that! :tongue:), it'd be:

Cambridge>UCL>Edinburgh>St. Andrews

I actually have an interview at St. Andrews and was debating whether to go, since it's my last choice (still not sure on the small town vibe :s-smilie:) and the journey will take basically a day there and back!! I'm pretty sure I'll go anyway though; the official excuse is that I need/want an insurance, but the actual reason is that I want to get a couple days off school.... :innocent: :teehee:

Have you heard back from other medical schools?

Edit: Just did some stalking I realised that you had an interview at St. Andrews!! What was it like?
Reply 790
Original post by Ceryni
Thanks!! I'm sorry to hear that :frown:
In utopia, where everyone loved me and gave me offers (no chance of that! :tongue:), it'd be:

Cambridge>UCL>Edinburgh>St. Andrews

I actually have an interview at St. Andrews and was debating whether to go, since it's my last choice (still not sure on the small town vibe :s-smilie:) and the journey will take basically a day there and back!! I'm pretty sure I'll go anyway though; the official excuse is that I need/want an insurance, but the actual reason is that I want to get a couple days off school.... :innocent: :teehee:

Have you heard back from other medical schools?

I already had all of my interviews (at Glasgow and St. Andrews). I reaally don't want to go to Glasgow anymore (damn PBL), so it's Edinburgh>St. Andrews>Glasgow for me. My St. Andrews interview went horribly though, one of the interviewers looked very very bored whenever I spoke haha! I think I've a pretty good chance with Edinburgh since I dropped just 2 points from non-PS points, but who knows.

Edit in response to edit: It was really cold on the day so I was shivering all the way through my interview! One of them was a really nice lady and the other was really bored. The town seems quite nice if insular, but I'm not one for nightlife anyway, so I'm not too bothered. I was pretty impressed by how good the facilities at the medical school was (also one of the few schools to do dissections!).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 791
I know that no one knows this, and I know it is irrelevant now because nothjng can be changed, but what do people think is needed /40 for an offer? I know this is a futile exercise, so forgive me- so much doubt!
Reply 792
I already had all of my interviews (at Glasgow and St. Andrews). I reaally don't want to go to Glasgow anymore (damn PBL), so it's Edinburgh>St. Andrews>Glasgow for me. My St. Andrews interview went horribly though, one of the interviewers looked very very bored whenever I spoke haha! I think I've a pretty good chance with Edinburgh since I dropped just 2 points from non-PS points, but who knows.

Edit in response to edit: It was really cold on the day so I was shivering all the way through my interview! One of them was a really nice lady and the other was really bored. The town seems quite nice if insular, but I'm not one for nightlife anyway, so I'm not too bothered. I was pretty impressed by how good the facilities at the medical school was (also one of the few schools to do dissections!).

Oh wow, I envy you for having that part over and done with!! :redface:

Yeah, I've that it's chilly!! It's only 4 degrees there now :eek: (just saw something on the news about the polar vortex in USA causing ridiculously low temperatures, and here I am moaning about 4 degrees celsius! :colondollar: :teehee:)

I wonder if that was this supposed "bad-cop" technique some interviewers use to try to put people off? :dontknow: I can't imagine that what you were saying was actually boring enough that they'd show it openly!! :s-smilie: I actually loved the medical school when I visited! And the town life kinda suits me :tongue: I'm not really sure where along the way it just seemed to drop from being a solid 2nd choice alongside UCL to 4th!! :rolleyes: :unimpressed:

Now I feel the need to memorise my iSC interview book!! :innocent:
Original post by kajal909
I know that no one knows this, and I know it is irrelevant now because nothjng can be changed, but what do people think is needed /40 for an offer? I know this is a futile exercise, so forgive me- so much doubt!

No one knows. Various guesses have estimated the cut-off score between 33 and 38
Reply 794
Original post by Ceryni
Oh wow, I envy you for having that part over and done with!! :redface:

Yeah, I've that it's chilly!! It's only 4 degrees there now :eek: (just saw something on the news about the polar vortex in USA causing ridiculously low temperatures, and here I am moaning about 4 degrees celsius! :colondollar: :teehee:)

I wonder if that was this supposed "bad-cop" technique some interviewers use to try to put people off? :dontknow: I can't imagine that what you were saying was actually boring enough that they'd show it openly!! :s-smilie: I actually loved the medical school when I visited! And the town life kinda suits me :tongue: I'm not really sure where along the way it just seemed to drop from being a solid 2nd choice alongside UCL to 4th!! :rolleyes: :unimpressed:

Now I feel the need to memorise my iSC interview book!! :innocent:

Hah-says the person with an offer!
The interview was really short, you won't need all that much from the USC book. I can pm you some tips if you'd like.
Reply 795
Original post by Asklepios
No one knows. Various guesses have estimated the cut-off score between 33 and 38

Thank you for replying! You've probably answered this, but how are you finding Edinburgh? :smile:
Thank you for replying! You've probably answered this, but how are you finding Edinburgh? :smile:

Yeah, it's been awesome so far... hard work, but a lot of studenty social stuff too :smile: Get my semester results in a week though :eek:

I've written a bit about the course and semester 1 in particular here

... And about the social side here

Also, Hype en Ecosse had some good post 'bout Edinburgh medicine on last year's thread - here and here

Know this may seem like loads of information randomly pieced together, but hopefully you can make sense of it! Defs saves time for me writing out a similar thing loads of times

And if you (or anyone else) has any more specific questions, feel free to fire away!
Reply 797
Hah-says the person with an offer!
The interview was really short, you won't need all that much from the USC book. I can pm you some tips if you'd like.

Oooh, if it's not too much trouble :tongue: Just freaking out, since it's my first "proper" medical interview - I don't think whatever Cambridge asked me can count as the same sort of interview as any other medical school!! :rolleyes:
Reply 798
Original post by Asklepios
Yeah, it's been awesome so far... hard work, but a lot of studenty social stuff too :smile: Get my semester results in a week though :eek:

I've written a bit about the course and semester 1 in particular here

... And about the social side here

Also, Hype en Ecosse had some good post 'bout Edinburgh medicine on last year's thread - here and here

Know this may seem like loads of information randomly pieced together, but hopefully you can make sense of it! Defs saves time for me writing out a similar thing loads of times

And if you (or anyone else) has any more specific questions, feel free to fire away!

This is great, literally answers every question I had! I just have one question about the waiting list, (wishful thinking, but trying to stay optimistic for now) how does it work? Glad you're loving it, and good luck for your results!
This is great, literally answers every question I had! I just have one question about the waiting list, (wishful thinking, but trying to stay optimistic for now) how does it work? Glad you're loving it, and good luck for your results!

If you are a 'near-miss' reject then they will tell you along with feedback to get in touch if you get 4 rejections for medicine. Then if they have spaces that become free later on in the cycle, they'll give them to people on this waiting list.

I had 4 rejections initially, but Edinburgh said I was near-miss - top 340 instead of 300. So they put me on the waiting list and I got an offer in early May. Similar thing happened to hype.

Hopefully this won't concern you though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending