The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Jenn.
EUCLID is the university's online system that enables you to track your application/ upload documents etc. You access it through MyEd, which is the university's web portal. Normally, you should have received an acknowledgement email with details of your username and one-time password for your EUCLID account (check your emails!!!). :s-smilie:

https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk/ then click on "Login with ease" if you've already registered :smile: (If not, then contact the uni asap!!! I think you had 40 days or so to activate your account.) http://www.euclid.ed.ac.uk/student/

Heyy thank you so much for your help, I think I'm going to have to ring admissions today because I haven't received that acknowledgement email from them :/
Reply 981
Original post by Asklepios
I think it is possible that you could have scraped a top quartile UKCAT, which would be 36/40. I think people are scoring out of 34 as it is quite difficult to predict your non-academic score.

You have enough evidence to get 3/3 for non-academics depending on how well you reflect on this in your PS, but really depends

Thank you for that 😊 It's so hard to score yourself objectively sometimes so that was a real help 👍 Oh and thanks for clearing up that out of 34 making thing, I was really getting worried that I was using an old version of the scoring guidelines 😁 hahaha!

Thanks again and Good luck with all your applications!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MicheeO
Thank you for that It's so hard to score yourself objectively sometimes so that was a real help Oh and thanks for clearing up that out of 34 making thing, I was really getting worried that I was using an old version of the scoring guidelines hahaha!

Thanks again and Good luck with all your applications!

I'm a medical student. Awkward.
I can tell you that my ukcat was 692.5, and I was in the third quartile. Ukcat scores for applicants who have applied to edinburgh this year are very competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
I can tell you that my ukcat was 692.5, and I was in the third quartile. Ukcat scores for applicants who have applied to edinburgh this year are very competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find this out? From feedback??

My mind cannot comprehend the idea that over half the applicants to Edinburgh (historically a not particularly UKCAT heavy med school) have a UKCAT of 700+...

WHAT IS LIFE
Original post by Dr. Django
How did you find this out? From feedback??

My mind cannot comprehend the idea that over half the applicants to Edinburgh (historically a not particularly UKCAT heavy med school) have a UKCAT of 700+...

WHAT IS LIFE

Yep from feedback. The SJT plays a big role in the application process too! Im guessing cause they dont interview they want applicants to excel more academically, and in admissions tests.

I remember Edinburgh stating that they dont interview because this only shows justification in the decisions that people make, regardless of whether the decision is right or wrong, therefore the interview process isnt accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex

Posted from TSR Mobile

****ing hell...I called UKCAT inflation at the start of this thread. Didn't think it'd be that high, though. 647.5 was 2nd quartile in my year...
Reply 987
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
****ing hell...I called UKCAT inflation at the start of this thread. Didn't think it'd be that high, though. 647.5 was 2nd quartile in my year...

OK this just got scary.
do you think that whilst the UKCAT *mean has gone up drastically for this year's cohort, the normal distribution of the data is not as spread out? <==*==> versus <=*=>, so what I'm saying, is perhaps the variance is smaller and my score of 710 could be in 2nd Quartile???!!!

Oh gawd, band 2 as well. I don't think i'm going to make it.
:bricks:
Reading about these rejections is ****ing scary. Good luck guys :console:
Reply 989
any chance 762.5 will make first band? More likely second?:s-smilie:
Reply 990
Original post by Asklepios
I'm a medical student. Awkward.

Oh ha! My bad... Thanks anyway, which was my main point :smile:
Original post by MicheeO
Oh ha! My bad... Thanks anyway, which was my main point :smile:

Haha.. it's fine :smile:
Original post by euphrosyne
Reading about these rejections is ****ing scary. Good luck guys :console:

I feel you, I'm ****ting myself when I see them too!! The wait is a long one, but hopefully it's worth it :smile:
I feel you, I'm ****ting myself when I see them too!! The wait is a long one, but hopefully it's worth it :smile:

I'm a Law student with an offer (thank goodness), but I experienced your pain for a few months. Just decided to creep in and see how the Medical students were doing :innocent: You'll be fine, don't worry :h:
I'm a Law student with an offer (thank goodness), but I experienced your pain for a few months. Just decided to creep in and see how the Medical students were doing :innocent: You'll be fine, don't worry :h:

You lucky sonofa :tongue: well done on your offer :smile: I am in the neither-unfortunate-nor-fortunate position of currently having no rejections but having no offers either o.O
(edited 10 years ago)
You lucky sonofa :tongue: well done on your offer :smile: I am in the neither-unfortunate-nor-fortunate position of currently having no rejections but having no rejections either o.O

:teehee: Thank you! Ah from what I've heard, offers haven't come out yet (or have they?), so I'm sure you're still being considered. It is a very long process and the wait is a ****ing bitch, but the best thing to do is stay optimistic :smile:
:teehee: Thank you! Ah from what I've heard, offers haven't come out yet (or have they?), so I'm sure you're still being considered. It is a very long process and the wait is a ****ing bitch, but the best thing to do is stay optimistic :smile:

3 of my 4 unis haven't started yet so No cause for panic yet :tongue: thanks for the pep talk, I guess that applies to all the med applicants in this thread...

Y'ALL GOTTA KEEP THE FAITH
Original post by dede-1234
Just been rejected :frown: (international student). It was my top choice but I got into UCL, KCL, Manchester and Edinburgh all for biomedical sciences so now its a matter of where. Where is it easiest to then go to medical school after biomed? Is there any way of transferring once being in the program?

I'm by no means an expert on Grad entry medicine (GEM). But that said those universities are all well respected and would be a good platform for GEM so long as you get a 2.1 and sufficient extra-curriculars/work experience (that's what will differentiate you from other candidates). Only thing is Edinburgh biomed is 4 years others will be 3 years

As for transfers, no. You need to follow through with the degree.

Good luck!
Reply 998
Original post by ResaTxxx
Heyy thank you so much for your help, I think I'm going to have to ring admissions today because I haven't received that acknowledgement email from them :/

No problem. :smile:

Original post by dede-1234
Just been rejected :frown: (international student). It was my top choice but I got into UCL, KCL, Manchester and Edinburgh all for biomedical sciences so now its a matter of where. Where is it easiest to then go to medical school after biomed? Is there any way of transferring once being in the program?

Original post by Runninghigh
I'm by no means an expert on Grad entry medicine (GEM). But that said those universities are all well respected and would be a good platform for GEM so long as you get a 2.1 and sufficient extra-curriculars/work experience (that's what will differentiate you from other candidates). Only thing is Edinburgh biomed is 4 years others will be 3 years

As for transfers, no. You need to follow through with the degree.

Good luck!

So, I searched their website and found this. I doubt anyone has ever done this, though (I agree with RunningHigh, you will need to complete the whole degree before transferring). This must be quite rare! I think the best thing to do would be to take a gap year and then re-apply afresh! Please, don't go waste 3/4 years of your life doing something you won't entirely enjoy! If medicine is really what you want to do, then you will get there someday. It's just a matter of time. Good luck (and don't give up)! "Success is a numbers game". :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=0,53&cw_xml=subject.php

Transferring to Medicine MBChB

Medical Sciences students will not normally be able to transfer to the MBChB programme. Up to five offers for entry into Year 2 of the Edinburgh MBChB will be made to final-year Medical Sciences undergraduates. Application for these places should be made through UCAS.
Medical Sciences undergraduates applying to the MBChB should have the appropriate academic qualifications and need to sit the UKCAT and be interviewed along with other graduate applicants.
Offers are made before the end of the first semester of Year 4 of the Medical Sciences degree.

(edited 10 years ago)
Sure I'm not the only one feeling helplessly impatient!! Is there any indication as to how far edinburgh have got, ie number of rejections given, number of rejections left to give, timeframe until offers come out, anything?!! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending