The Student Room Group

Who was at fault for us breaking up?

Ok so this will probably be a lengthy wall of text explaining backstory etc but please bear with me.

My girlfriend of 3.5 years and I broke up about 3 weeks ago and I am not really sure whose fault it was or just any advice/comments from anyone especially anyone whose found 'class' to be an issue in relationships.

The backstory:

We met at the start of 2nd year in Durham ( October 2009). I come from a very middle class background: private education, only child and from Surrey however she came from a single parent council house (although very intelligent, well spoken etc) near Maidstone (Kent).

The start was very rocky - frequent class issues caused us to almost break up several times very early on. However I will add it was never from side, I don't ever judge anyone and view everyone equally however she seemed to have real issues that I came from a better background than her.

We broke up for about 6 months in January after she slept with her ex twice which as someone from a family where her dad walked out on her mum I just couldn't fathom??! I had never been cheated on ever before and was totally not prepared for it especially how attached to her I had become in such a short space of time. I did not take it well and ultimately was the catalyst for a depressive spiral that led me to drop out of my second year at university. However I met a new girlfriend, probably a rebound however nice all the same, and as soon as it went on facebook the ex was on the phone "how can you be over me so soon" "i still love you" "please give it another chance" etc. I knew I was still in love with her and decided to give it another shot. This time I was more cautious about getting overly attached however always had this sense of paranoia in the back of my mind.

My ex has M.E. and it comes and goes through bad phases. Third year (or second year again for me) was a very bad patch for her and I ended up virtually becoming a full time carer for much of the year which I have no illusion detracted from my work (not to mention dropping out the previous year led me to forget a lot of my maths). However I loved her and felt it was my duty to look after her even if it meant being at her side all day on the really bad days and never felt angry at her for it. I helped her with her essays and revision, again at the expense of my own, and she graduated with a 2:1 in Anthropology and Archaeology.

Come fourth year (or third for me) and she is now back home and I am still in Durham. She didn't handle the long distance well and insisted on phoning every night and then complained if I was saying I was going "only 20mins" into the call. I always said I'd rather a long phonecall every few days when I have things to talk about rather than every day when I don't necessarily have anything to say. The relationship became depressive, I missed her when she was gone but when we did see each other it was difficult and stressful. I fell out with my college rowing club which till then had been my only sport/social activity and led to another depressive spiral and this time medication. I rapidly put on weight, due to medication and stopping rowing, which my ex was always pointing out and complaining about (only further compounding my issues). I was offered to resit the year again, in hindsight something I should have done, however I just wanted to be done, get out and be back with the girlfriend. Results didn't go well, as expected, and I graduated with a 3rd (June 2012).

Now wind forward to the start of this summer. Its been a year since I graduated, two in her case and neither of us have a job. I decided upon accountancy however with a 3rd I knew I was facing an uphill struggle and so studied the first 6 ACA exams independently in the hope this would mitigate my degree and prove to firms my true potential (bearing in mind 4As at A-Level too). However it didn't work - medium/big firms didn't even offer interviews just citing my degree qualification and then small firms didn't want me for a lack of experience so I was caught between a rock and a hard place. I applied to well over 100 firms all the while my girlfriend, and her mum (who wanted her out of the house), were saying "oh you still haven't got a job yet" and generally making life even more stressful.

Ultimately after talking to someone about what I could do to get into accountancy I decided upon re-applying to do a 2nd undergraduate degree (into accountancy). At this point my girlfriend, and her mum, were just saying "just get any **** job and some money forget accountancy". Easy for her to say, she'd applied to a grand total of 2 jobs in 2 years since graduating (and bear in mind she was much better now) and had effectively said she wanted to live off me. I had always compromised so much for her and I decided to make this decision for myself as I'd never been so motivated to do anything in my life. I tried to reason with the gf, explaining how much it meant to me and how 4 years is a drop in the ocean when you think we'll be working to 70+. I also said "just earning a salary isn't enough to compensate for lack of job satisfaction and potential etc". She still was so against me going to university for long distance reasons so I chose only local universities and even said we could mature accomodation together etc. I thought I had convinced her then a couple of days later she informed me she'd met a guy in a club and had organised a date with him. Almost seemed like a retaliation at me applying to university?

And that was that. I really don't know what to think about the whole situation and how to make sure it never happens again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. Could we have a TLDR please?
Reply 2
I don't know but who the hell are they to tell you what to do with your own life?
She sounds like an entitled, selfish cow and you're better off without her.

This is what i read from your text

-She broke up with you several times because you were of a different class
-She cheated on you twice
-You go out of your way to help her get a 2:1 at the expense of your own degree
-She constantly complains about your weight when you're going through a depressive episode
-She fights against the idea of you going to uni to sort your life out just because SHE doesn't want a LDR
-She retaliates by arranging a date with another guy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Wow OP. This is obviously her fault. You did soo much for her and she rewarded you with basically a slap in the face!?!? Isn't university supposed to be a time of independance/maturity/ freedom?? etc.. My advice would be to get your second degree, and just move on. Tbh, i dont think your ex was worth it. AT ALL. Find a better girlfriend and start a better life.
Reply 4
You made the mistake of letting your life revolve around a girl who cheated on you. She's also limiting your potential by not being able to do long distance. If she's serious about you, she would understand. But you were probably scared that long distance means she would cheat again.
IMO you fell hard for a girl that didn't deserve the attentiveness you gave her.
Reply 5
Sounds like she's done you a favour by going on a date with that guy. I don't think this is a matter of class, more that she has taken advantage of your nature and I'm sorry but I get the feeling she didn't care much for you. Going back to University will be a chance for you to start over. And remember everyone needs to be a selfless now and again, don't be a door mat, stand up for yourself once in a while people will respect you more for it. Apologies if that seems a bit harsh, but good luck in University :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sounds like a lot of hassle you don't need mate. Least now you know so you are less inclined to make the same mistakes again.
Reply 7
No one deserves that. At least you will have more experience for future relations and hopefully you can prevent this kind of relationship again :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Trix465
...then a couple of days later she informed me she'd met a guy in a club and had organised a date with him. Almost seemed like a retaliation at me applying to university?

Bitch to the core.

It's her fault that the relationship failed, but I'm kind of inclined to say that it's your fault that you didn't break up with her sooner. Like, you know, when she first cheated on you. You got way too attatched.
Reply 9
I guess I was worried I would look on this in a bitter way and why I wanted some neutral opinions to know whether it was me being unreasonable or not.

Just looking forward to starting university again (Reading to do Accounting and Business), hopefully reclaim some of my social life and definitely get a better degree!

RE: Another. There were frequently times I thought about it but I always thought it would get better and things would fix. Having looked back on it now I realised the relationship had been on life support for a long time. The 10% of the time when we were happy it was the best feeling in the world but the other 90% was just miserable and stressful but I just clung on for that 10% and its that 10% I miss now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sounds like a helluva bitch :dontknow:
Original post by Trix465
And that was that. I really don't know what to think about the whole situation and how to make sure it never happens again?

Sounds like you were taken advantage of by an entitled unfaithful lazy leeching chav, and you had oneitis.

Feel better?

Really you should have called it quits after she cheated on you (for good), you got Overly Attached Boyfriend on her which pretty much doomed you to ruining your own education for the sake of hers without anything in return.

Cut her out of your life and just file this under 'Lessons Learned'.

Go get your second degree and this time remember:

Girls come and go but an education/career is forever.

You can go out and date anyone at any time, there will always be someone interested. You need to prioritise your future, because you can't rely on anyone else to cover your back for you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Do yourself a favour and break up with her permanently. It sounds to me like you sacrificed far too much to do what she wanted etc and she sounds extremely manipulative. Go back to uni, focus your head on studying and getting where you want to be, date casually or make sure if you have a new girlfriend, that she's supportive and faithful. This girl doesn't deserve you and if I was you I definitely wouldn't waste any more time and effort on her. It's hard to let go at first but once you cut all ties it will get easier. You went from 4 A's to getting a 3rd because of her, don't allow her to ruin your chances at getting your next degree.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Your fault. I don't even need to read the OP (which will be biased to your viewpoint anyway), the length of it is evidence enough that you are to blame.
Reply 14
Original post by Trix465
I guess I was worried I would look on this in a bitter way and why I wanted some neutral opinions to know whether it was me being unreasonable or not.

Just looking forward to starting university again (Reading to do Accounting and Business), hopefully reclaim some of my social life and definitely get a better degree!

RE: Another. There were frequently times I thought about it but I always thought it would get better and things would fix. Having looked back on it now I realised the relationship had been on life support for a long time. The 10% of the time when we were happy it was the best feeling in the world but the other 90% was just miserable and stressful but I just clung on for that 10% and its that 10% I miss now.

I understand exacty how you feel... that specific year where she got ME probably acted like a giant guilt trip. (Cue the line - how could you leave me? Are you just going to desert me?) Let me guess - the relationship was entirely centered around her, her problems, and how she felt, right? Demands that you help her solve her issues - cause that's what good boyfriends are meant to do - but then doesn't even give yours the time of day? The problem is you end up in state of codependency... which is no fun at all.

I suppose life always has it's lessons to learn, but I'm sorry this had to happen to you at such a crucial time in your academic life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Haha, I am sorry, but it would be really funny if she just read this by accident...here comes more scandals. But I found it weird how she suddenly missed you after you got another gf, and your status changed on fb.....first of all look for a girl that changes your heart, and not your fb status...and second of all, she sounds like she was just jealous at that point and just wanted you back, just for the hell of it, not because she really truly loved you.
You should have stayed with that other girl (who was probs nicer?) and make your ex envy her...Its like why do nice girls stay single whilst girls like your gf (who resembles a total slut may I say) have nice guys chasing them.
Also what is M.E. may I ask?
And you sound like you did a maths related degree so what the hell would you have known about Anthropology and Archaeology course lol? But still nice you helped her...where do I find such guy
So yeah, just move on, because she totally busts you...just an idea:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by carrotstick
Sounds like she's done you a favour by going on a date with that guy. I don't think this is a matter of class, more that she has taken advantage of your nature and I'm sorry but I get the feeling she didn't care much for you. Going back to University will be a chance for you to start over. And remember everyone needs to be a selfless now and again, don't be a door mat, stand up for yourself once in a while people will respect you more for it. Apologies if that seems a bit harsh, but good luck in University :biggrin:

I honestly, in all the seriousness couldn't agree more with this status...Sounds like she just spun you round, just because you were too 'nice'.....she also sounds quite demanding lol, but I don't think this had ANYTHING to do with class..
OP, you sound like a really nice guy, like you have done everything you can over the years to help her when she was down but now she expects it of you. These things do happen, little by little you help someone and it becomes a habit, and then they expect it all from you as a minimum.

Go and get your second degree, follow your career dreams, and put this down to experience. I'm glad you were happy, remember those bits as a good part of your last few years, totally finish the relationship and move on.

If you stay with her and pander to her its certainly not going to do you any good, but also it wont do her any good either, she needs to stand on her own two feet now, you did so much which was above and beyond the call of duty, you cant let it define the rest of your life.

Enjoy uni, get yourself rowing again, be happy, do well and be the person you know you can be.
Original post by Trix465

We broke up for about 6 months in January after she slept with her ex twice which as someone from a family where her dad walked out on her mum I just couldn't fathom??! I had never been cheated on ever before and was totally not prepared for it especially how attached to her I had become in such a short space of time. I did not take it well and ultimately was the catalyst for a depressive spiral that led me to drop out of my second year at university. However I met a new girlfriend, probably a rebound however nice all the same, and as soon as it went on facebook the ex was on the phone "how can you be over me so soon" "i still love you" "please give it another chance" etc. I knew I was still in love with her and decided to give it another shot. This time I was more cautious about getting overly attached however always had this sense of paranoia in the back of my mind.

My ex has M.E. and it comes and goes through bad phases. Third year (or second year again for me) was a very bad patch for her and I ended up virtually becoming a full time carer for much of the year which I have no illusion detracted from my work (not to mention dropping out the previous year led me to forget a lot of my maths). However I loved her and felt it was my duty to look after her even if it meant being at her side all day on the really bad days and never felt angry at her for it. I helped her with her essays and revision, again at the expense of my own, and she graduated with a 2:1 in Anthropology and Archaeology.

Come fourth year (or third for me) and she is now back home and I am still in Durham. She didn't handle the long distance well and insisted on phoning every night and then complained if I was saying I was going "only 20mins" into the call. I always said I'd rather a long phonecall every few days when I have things to talk about rather than every day when I don't necessarily have anything to say. The relationship became depressive, I missed her when she was gone but when we did see each other it was difficult and stressful. I fell out with my college rowing club which till then had been my only sport/social activity and led to another depressive spiral and this time medication. I rapidly put on weight, due to medication and stopping rowing, which my ex was always pointing out and complaining about (only further compounding my issues). I was offered to resit the year again, in hindsight something I should have done, however I just wanted to be done, get out and be back with the girlfriend. Results didn't go well, as expected, and I graduated with a 3rd (June 2012).

Now wind forward to the start of this summer. Its been a year since I graduated, two in her case and neither of us have a job. I decided upon accountancy however with a 3rd I knew I was facing an uphill struggle and so studied the first 6 ACA exams independently in the hope this would mitigate my degree and prove to firms my true potential (bearing in mind 4As at A-Level too). However it didn't work - medium/big firms didn't even offer interviews just citing my degree qualification and then small firms didn't want me for a lack of experience so I was caught between a rock and a hard place. I applied to well over 100 firms all the while my girlfriend, and her mum (who wanted her out of the house), were saying "oh you still haven't got a job yet" and generally making life even more stressful.

Ultimately after talking to someone about what I could do to get into accountancy I decided upon re-applying to do a 2nd undergraduate degree (into accountancy). At this point my girlfriend, and her mum, were just saying "just get any **** job and some money forget accountancy". Easy for her to say, she'd applied to a grand total of 2 jobs in 2 years since graduating (and bear in mind she was much better now) and had effectively said she wanted to live off me. I had always compromised so much for her and I decided to make this decision for myself as I'd never been so motivated to do anything in my life. I tried to reason with the gf, explaining how much it meant to me and how 4 years is a drop in the ocean when you think we'll be working to 70+. I also said "just earning a salary isn't enough to compensate for lack of job satisfaction and potential etc". She still was so against me going to university for long distance reasons so I chose only local universities and even said we could mature accomodation together etc. I thought I had convinced her then a couple of days later she informed me she'd met a guy in a club and had organised a date with him. Almost seemed like a retaliation at me applying to university?

I've highlighted the important parts of what you have said above.

As for your initial question, 'who is at fault?' it takes two people to begin and end a relationship, whether directly or indirectly. In this instance, she seems to have directly ended things by dating someone else and you have indirectly ended it by allowing it to happen and letting the relationship reach a conclusion.

Personally, she sounds terrible for you and you are far better off out of this situation. You need to realise that she has treated you as a doormat for a long time. This isn't something you've consciously allowed her to do, but recognise the signs so that you don't make the same mistake again by either getting back together with her, or finding someone similar to her.

Back to the points I highlighted. Her Father walked out on her Mum. Now plenty of people have this happen and are fine, however I would hazard a guess that her behaviour now as an adult has a direct connection to the feeling of abandonment she felt as a child. Parents generally love unconditionally and we are brought up to believe that they will always be there for us. As children, we often look up to our parents and believe nothing will ever take them away from us. Her Father made a conscious decision to leave her. Yes, he left her Mum but in your ex's eyes, her Father walked up and left her, someone he was supposed to love no matter what as she is his child.

It sounds to me, that on a subconscious level she is terrified that she will be left again so she flits between two things. Drawing away from people on her terms so that she can't be hurt if they do leave or making herself indispensable by becoming incapable of looking after herself and needing that person to stay in her life, almost reverting back to that child.

I believe that she cheated on her ex a couple of times while with you to try and push you away. It was fairly early on in your relationship and it seems like she was testing you. ie let me do something really bad and see if he will stick around. That way, if you did leave, she would have her ex waiting in the wings and could pull the 'well I didn't really want to be with him anyway card'. When you found a new girlfriend, even though it was perfectly fine for you to do so and a normal sign that you were moving on, she freaked. She probably felt that abandonment all over again, not because you left her initially but because she may lose you forever to someone else, much like her Father.

By coming back when she cheated, she no doubt felt internally comforted that you may not abandon her like her Father but that also set a precedence for her to push you more and more to see where your breaking point is.

When her Mum started to mention kicking her out, she suddenly becomes more dependent on you saying she wants to live off you and to just get any job. Feeding into the whole if I can't cope on my own, he won't leave me. Just like with my ME and when he took care of me.

When you didn't fall into the pattern she was expecting and hoping for, she decided to fall back on the only other thing that felt familiar to her. Find someone els to date as quickly as possible so she doesn't have to be alone, the thing she probably fears the most.

I'll say it again, you are far better off without her. She will continue in these patterns until she realises she is making them and wants to change. What you need to do is try to forget about her. Delete her contact information, delete her from social media, etc. Do not allow her to know anything about your life (like if you get a new girlfriend). Your ex has issues that she needs to face up to and deal with and if you can't stay away for yourself just realise that the longer you allow her to lean on you, the longer she will not realise she needs to change.

Something you need to look at about yourself is why did you allow all of this to happen? What part of you let her treat you as a doormat? Does part of you want to be the 'white knight' and scoop up a girl and protect and love her? Figure out what it is about you that allowed this to happen and make sure you don't make the same mistake again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, certainly not you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending