The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SavannaC
Hi just found this thread :biggrin:

Will be applying later on this week 😰 so scared !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome!

Fear not, TSR will provide all the advice and reassurance you could possibly want.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Welcome!

Fear not, TSR will provide all the advice and reassurance you could possibly want.

Thanks !
Btw love your screen name lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ilem
I managed to score 802.5 and Band 1 in SJT so I should be in a fairly good position to get an interview! :tongue: Wrapping up the PS now.

Have you sat yours yet?

Man, and here I thought I was the greatest with 775.0 and band 1. Sheesh! Still bloody well done mate and best of luck. Hopefully I should get an interview with my score too, do you think?
Reply 183
Original post by 07hgrainger
Man, and here I thought I was the greatest with 775.0 and band 1. Sheesh! Still bloody well done mate and best of luck. Hopefully I should get an interview with my score too, do you think?

775 certainly isn't shabby either :smile:
Assuming your academics are also up to scratch, I'd be extremely surprised if you failed to secure an interview with that score, since this year they're inviting candidates to the interview based on academics and UKCAT alone.
Do you guys think a 750-800 Band 1 or 822.5 Band 2 (my score) is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by Blobblecats

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would both score full UKCAT marks regardless. Aberdeen aren't using SJT scores anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Original post by prafto
They would both score full UKCAT marks regardless. Aberdeen aren't using SJT scores anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know they both both score full UKCAT marks? If you have a source please link me
Hi, I was wondering what the pre-interview score would include if you're applying as a graduate?
Original post by ilem
775 certainly isn't shabby either :smile:
Assuming your academics are also up to scratch, I'd be extremely surprised if you failed to secure an interview with that score, since this year they're inviting candidates to the interview based on academics and UKCAT alone.

yeah I got 4A*, 4A and 2B at GCSE and 4A's at AS so an interview does seem quite likely, but I've known candidates with 695 in ukcat not make cutoffs before (for newcastle, not aberdeen). I just worry that being English, all the places will go to scottish students since I heard they get priority. is this correct?
yeah I got 4A*, 4A and 2B at GCSE and 4A's at AS so an interview does seem quite likely, but I've known candidates with 695 in ukcat not make cutoffs before (for newcastle, not aberdeen). I just worry that being English, all the places will go to scottish students since I heard they get priority. is this correct?

There is no prority but there is a limited number of RUK places I believe. As in we're not competing with Scottish applicants but with RUK applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both are excellent scores (tbh anything above 700 is great and should be above most if not all cutoffs). I got 775 and band 1 but since they aren't using SJ I'd say your score would be better, but assuming your academics are good we will likely both get interviews.
Both are excellent scores (tbh anything above 700 is great and should be above most if not all cutoffs). I got 775 and band 1 but since they aren't using SJ I'd say your score would be better, but assuming your academics are good we will likely both get interviews.

It's based on A2 grades/predictions only. GCSE's and AS aren't involved.
Oh yeah, getting ahead of myself again. I'm predicted A*A*A.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
There is no prority but there is a limited number of RUK places I believe. As in we're not competing with Scottish applicants but with RUK applicants

Do you know what that number is?
Do you know what that number is?

There are no fixed quotas. They have a general idea of how many Scots/RUKs they can take, but it's flexible.
Reply 195
Original post by MX123
How do you know they both both score full UKCAT marks? If you have a source please link me

Tbh, I can't see them not getting full/very close to full. Those scores are well above the average applicant, and average offer holder for an Med school. Generally speaking, with a score of 3000+, I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't score full
Oh yeah, getting ahead of myself again. I'm predicted A*A*A.

Are you an international applicant? I think I'm predicted 4A*s but since I'm international, competition will be extremely fierce :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you an international applicant? I think I'm predicted 4A*s but since I'm international, competition will be extremely fierce :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm an English student. International competition is generally 5-10 times harder than UK/home students, so I wish you the very best of luck. I can't really imagine how hard it must be.
Reply 198
Is 715 a good UKCAT score for Aberdeen?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I'm applying for 2014 entry and currently a final year BSc Medical Genetics student. Here's what I've got so far:

GCSEs 2006: 8As, 1B (overall 93%)
GCEs 2009: 3Cs Bio/Chem/Phy >>> THIS IS WHERE EVERYTHING WENT DOWNHILL
BSc First Year: Departmental Silver Award for Best Performance
BSc Second Year: First class
UKCAT: 662.50 > VR 630, QR 670, AR 620, DA: 730 >>> Took the test with no practice, just attempted the sample test online
Work experience: 4 weeks and 2 weeks at a hospital as a pre medical intern - shadowing and the likes, receptionist at a gynecologist's clinic for 4 weeks.

I would love to study Medicine but am not sure of my chances. I am happy to apply for A100 rather than A101 if that would improve the chances of me getting an offer.

Trouble is you can only choose four options, would anyone help me with thinking this through considering my low-ass grades? Is this too bad for Aberdeen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending