The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Joannywhite
Isn't that for non-medicine courses?

well they said nothing about it. Just that they tend to make decisons after 15 January
Original post by Aniaa
I got my letter today. Do you think they are serious they will make decision after 15 January? Cause thats a lot of waiting!

Aberdeen traditionally have been one of the last unis to finish handing out offers - typically into March. Be prepared to be very patient :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Aberdeen traditionally have been one of the last unis to finish handing out offers - typically into March. Be prepared to be very patient :smile:

hmm...okay :frown:. Pity I didn't knew before lol
Original post by Aniaa
hmm...okay :frown:. Pity I didn't knew before lol

Why, you'd have applied somewhere different had you known? Might as well get used to it - the FY jobs process takes from October to April (at least).
Reply 384
Why, you'd have applied somewhere different had you known? Might as well get used to it - the FY jobs process takes from October to April (at least).

No, I don't think I would change. Just that I kinda thought Aberdeen will be the quickest to answer (maybe cause they say they don't really look at ukcat). So now I am a bit surprised xD.
What is FY? :s-smilie:
Original post by Aniaa
No, I don't think I would change. Just that I kinda thought Aberdeen will be the quickest to answer (maybe cause they say they don't really look at ukcat). So now I am a bit surprised xD.
What is FY? :s-smilie:

The UKCAT makes up 40% of your pre-interview score...

FY = Foundation Years. Should you get into, and through, medical school, it's your first jobs as a doctor.
Reply 386
The UKCAT makes up 40% of your pre-interview score...

FY = Foundation Years. Should you get into, and through, medical school, it's your first jobs as a doctor.

really? From what I read ppl with low ukcat usually chose Aberdeen cause it doesn't look on ukcat. I mean, its not a problem for me since my score was pretty good :tongue:.

Ohh...got it now. Thanks for the explanation :biggrin:
Original post by Aniaa
really? From what I read ppl with low ukcat usually chose Aberdeen cause it doesn't look on ukcat. I mean, its not a problem for me since my score was pretty good :tongue:.

Ohh...got it now. Thanks for the explanation :biggrin:

The admissions policy has changed quite a bit since last year, but Aberdeen have always used UKCAT to some extent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 388
The admissions policy has changed quite a bit since last year, but Aberdeen have always used UKCAT to some extent.

well okay then. Even better cause I think ukcat is my strong side
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 389
Visited the Sutti centre today, it does look quite impressive, very modern indeed, are they extending it or still finishing it?
Reply 390
Original post by noregrets
They give u a form to fill in and take to interview. You write a brief description about what you did, and offer address/email/phone number of the place. They then phone up random contacts to check that applicants have indeed carried out the experience.

Hope this helps.

Oright yeah that make sense, is it for work experience and voluntary work or just work exp?
Reply 391
Hello. Sorry to post a bit late in this years process. I am a 1st year Medical student at Aberdeen, and will be happy to answer queries regarding studying here. As long as they aren't entirely stupid.

Good luck everyone!

First Year Aberdeen Medical Student
Original post by Chi-
Visited the Sutti centre today, it does look quite impressive, very modern indeed, are they extending it or still finishing it?

It's complete... The building work round the back is for the nutrition research place to move to, they're currently outside the city somewhere.
Reply 393
Original post by SSUB
DOB: Date of Birth - you have to enter it in 26 Dec 1996 format

Thanks. It worked. Finally saw the ack letter online .
Reply 394
It's complete... The building work round the back is for the nutrition research place to move to, they're currently outside the city somewhere.

Oright, yeah well it looks good although I didn't really know where to go and students kept on looking at me awkwardly. Managed to go to the library at the polwarth building but not much else receptionist didn't allow anymore.
Original post by Chi-
Oright, yeah well it looks good although I didn't really know where to go and students kept on looking at me awkwardly. Managed to go to the library at the polwarth building but not much else receptionist didn't allow anymore.

There's not really much more you're permitted to see at this stage. You can see the clinical skills department on interview day tours and the anatomy department is out of bounds by law until you enrol.
Reply 396
There's not really much more you're permitted to see at this stage. You can see the clinical skills department on interview day tours and the anatomy department is out of bounds by law until you enrol.

Oh right. you said earlier that ukcat is worth 40%
but see after interviews, it changes to 20% right, with academics being 30% and interview 50%??
thanks
Original post by Chi-
Oh right. you said earlier that ukcat is worth 40%
but see after interviews, it changes to 20% right, with academics being 30% and interview 50%??
thanks

Yes.
Reply 398
what about the personal statement.......how much weighting is that given. I understood it is considered around interview stage. Is that correct and how is it measured?
Original post by haylodge
what about the personal statement.......how much weighting is that given. I understood it is considered around interview stage. Is that correct and how is it measured?

It doesn't have a weighting as such. It's being read so that it can form the basis of 2-3 stations at interview. If it's completely awful you won't make it to interview, but if it's wonderful that won't improve your chances of getting an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending