The Student Room Group

HELP! Am I good enough for a psychology degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anonymouspie227

How about we check out Nottingham!
You need
And for Alevel But, if that doesn't answer all your questions then why don't you email them (at the bottom of the page there's an email and a phone number) just in case? Or perhaps you could do a bit of googling!

Just to add, with Nottingham, they are putting the GCSE Maths requirement up to an A grade for 2014 (they told us this at the open day).
Reply 21
Original post by AdoreMoi
Well I have never studied psychology, but something about it has always intrigued me. My Alevels are humanties based and I have grade C in gcse science....will I be able to cope with a psychology degree at a russel group uni?

You will be fine. Nobody walks into uni whatever they want to be. The come in to learn and that is what you will do also. Im sure u know this deep down lol and just want some reassurance :biggrin:

You will do good
Original post by Dpdr
Just to add, with Nottingham, they are putting the GCSE Maths requirement up to an A grade for 2014 (they told us this at the open day).

That's really good to know, thanks! Op
something else for you to know! :smile:
Reply 23
Well I have never studied psychology, but something about it has always intrigued me. My Alevels are humanties based and I have grade C in gcse science....will I be able to cope with a psychology degree at a russel group uni?

Hey. I got 5 offers this year for Psychology at Russell Groups (Nottingham, UCL, Manchester, Newcastle and Liverpool).

You don't need psychology A-level. To an extent, a core science is better (or maths). My A-Levels were History, Psychology and Film Studies. So 2 humanities (one very hard and one not so hard) and Psychology A-level there. In fact, they told me History was one of the primary subjects - as it shows the student is able to hand long-essays and write objectively to argue a point - a key requirement of any BPS accredited course due to the 2nd year being compromised of Historical Issues and Debates in Psychology.

The GCSE requirement is typically for Maths, not Science. What was your GCSE grade in Maths?

I've firmed Nottingham and they require 1500-2000 word essays and reports on investigations for the degree. It is quite sciencey (BSc obviously) and I think about 15% of the 1st year is research methods/statistics.

So need some more info: Maths GCSE grade, A-Levels and expected grades.

Nottingham want AAA from me, UCL wanted A*AA, Newcastle and Manchester wanted AAA and Liverpool want ABB.
Reply 24
explain?

He's calling Psychology a Mickey Mouse degree

They seem to be fine with taking people on without a science A level - they dont even have a science gcse requirement :/ and this is a university in the top 10 for psychology and a russel group institution and a psychology BSC :/

Then it should be fine... As long as you have C+s then there should be no problem.
I'd worry about a more specific personal statement since if you don't the scientific background, they'd want to be sure you've done your research
Hi OP, look at the course structure and see how science heavy it is. For example Oxford's course is very science based (bit obvious as it's called Experimental Psychology), Bristol is the same. I don't know of any unis that require you to have studied psychology before and many don't count it as a respected a level subject but do prefer you to have core sciences or maths. It's very competitive but just make sure you read around the subject and write an amazing personal statement, check what the unis you want to apply to are looking for in an applicant.

Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions/want more advice. I received all 5 offers this year from Oxford, UCL, Bath, Southampton and Cardiff.

That's fine. I go to York and a lot of my friends didn't do psychology or even biology at A level. Their offers were AAA rather than AAB but if you can manage that you should be fine. One of my friends did Spanish, French and English Lit and got an offer so I wouldn't worry too much. They start from the beginning at most places on the science so they get everyone to the same level, York is a relatively science based degree but the biology isn't too hard they walk you through it!

You'll need to check about your C grade some places specify at least a B I think.
Reply 27
Take a look at Bangor University! I know they have quite a big range when it comes to UCAS tariff. I had an offer of 360 points but I know somebody else who had 260. I decided on Durham ( please let me get in) but Bangor has a fantastic reputation for Psychology and has amazing links with America and all sorts, it might not be RG but sure is impressive. It was just too near home for me and about 60% of my sixth form are going there so I decided against it. Oh and they offer quite a few scholarships!
Reply 28
Original post by Dpdr

Thank you
Reply 29
Simply by asking this question I would say no.
Reply 30
Original post by Dpdr
Hey. I got 5 offers this year for Psychology at Russell Groups (Nottingham, UCL, Manchester, Newcastle and Liverpool).

You don't need psychology A-level. To an extent, a core science is better (or maths). My A-Levels were History, Psychology and Film Studies. So 2 humanities (one very hard and one not so hard) and Psychology A-level there. In fact, they told me History was one of the primary subjects - as it shows the student is able to hand long-essays and write objectively to argue a point - a key requirement of any BPS accredited course due to the 2nd year being compromised of Historical Issues and Debates in Psychology.

The GCSE requirement is typically for Maths, not Science. What was your GCSE grade in Maths?

I've firmed Nottingham and they require 1500-2000 word essays and reports on investigations for the degree. It is quite sciencey (BSc obviously) and I think about 15% of the 1st year is research methods/statistics.

So need some more info: Maths GCSE grade, A-Levels and expected grades.

Nottingham want AAA from me, UCL wanted A*AA, Newcastle and Manchester wanted AAA and Liverpool want ABB.

I studied History, Geography and media...quite humanities restricted
and maths gcse B :frown: ....I did pick it up at AS but it didnt go well:
Core 1- B
Core 2- E
Mechanics- U
Overall- U :/

Is the biology complex biology i.e. A level standard??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by locrian37
He's calling Psychology a Mickey Mouse degree

Then it should be fine... As long as you have C+s then there should be no problem.
I'd worry about a more specific personal statement since if you don't the scientific background, they'd want to be sure you've done your research

What?! Psychology is a valued subject, it is simply over subscribed!
Reply 32
Original post by x__justmyluck
Hi OP, look at the course structure and see how science heavy it is. For example Oxford's course is very science based (bit obvious as it's called Experimental Psychology), Bristol is the same. I don't know of any unis that require you to have studied psychology before and many don't count it as a respected a level subject but do prefer you to have core sciences or maths. It's very competitive but just make sure you read around the subject and write an amazing personal statement, check what the unis you want to apply to are looking for in an applicant.

Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions/want more advice. I received all 5 offers this year from Oxford, UCL, Bath, Southampton and Cardiff.

Thank you :smile:
What A levels did you study?
Reply 33
Original post by DeelyBopper
That's fine. I go to York and a lot of my friends didn't do psychology or even biology at A level. Their offers were AAA rather than AAB but if you can manage that you should be fine. One of my friends did Spanish, French and English Lit and got an offer so I wouldn't worry too much. They start from the beginning at most places on the science so they get everyone to the same level, York is a relatively science based degree but the biology isn't too hard they walk you through it!

You'll need to check about your C grade some places specify at least a B I think.

That sounds really reassuring :smile:
Its just been bugging me that i probably wont be able to cope because the science will be too complex
Reply 34
Original post by LJ95
Take a look at Bangor University! I know they have quite a big range when it comes to UCAS tariff. I had an offer of 360 points but I know somebody else who had 260. I decided on Durham ( please let me get in) but Bangor has a fantastic reputation for Psychology and has amazing links with America and all sorts, it might not be RG but sure is impressive. It was just too near home for me and about 60% of my sixth form are going there so I decided against it. Oh and they offer quite a few scholarships!

Lool your telling me! Leicesters on my doorstep, but I want Birmingham/Nottingham not too far out from home but far enough :wink:
Reply 35
Throughout the two years at sixth form the teachers told us that we would most likely not come across anything we were studying at A level in a Psychology degree. Also some universities even prefer students not to have taken the degree subject at A level so that they are beginning with a 'clean slate'.

If you have a real interest in Psychology then this should be enough to support you through a degree!
i think you will be completely fine :smile: go for it! its such an interesting subject
Reply 37
Original post by *Sierra*
Throughout the two years at sixth form the teachers told us that we would most likely not come across anything we were studying at A level in a Psychology degree. Also some universities even prefer students not to have taken the degree subject at A level so that they are beginning with a 'clean slate'.

If you have a real interest in Psychology then this should be enough to support you through a degree!

Yeah I heard that too, unis dont regard Psychology A LEVEL highly, prefer if you didnt do it so your previous knowledge doesnt clash with the new learning
Reply 38
Original post by Jessica_94
i think you will be completely fine :smile: go for it! its such an interesting subject

I hope so :smile: Its just nerveees
What A levels did you study?

I did sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and AS levels in Psychology, Further maths (and Critical thinking). I didn't like the exam board that my psychology was with and chemistry is more respected which is why I dropped psychology. Was a bit worried about what unis would think of me dropping psych and applying to do it but it was obviously fine :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest