The Student Room Group

Can't get link to work, whats it about?
Reply 2
Yeah, I can't see the link either, what is it OP?
Reply 3
Original post by IdeasForLife

Original post by Kiss
Yeah, I can't see the link either, what is it OP?

The US Army doctor who went on the shooting rampage at Fort Hood in 2009 has continued to be paid throughout his imprisonment before trial. So far he's 'earned' ~$280,000 while preparing for trial. He's able to do this because of a loophole which designated his crime as 'workplace violence'.
Reply 4
Dem 'Mericans
37765277.jpg
Reply 6
Innocent until found guilty.
Reply 7
Original post by Izzyeviel

He is not denying he shot those people but he thinks he was legally allowed to do it since he was defending Muslims.
Original post by Aj12
He is not denying he shot those people but he thinks he was legally allowed to do it since he was defending Muslims.

Defending Muslims by ending their lives? Call me biased but I'm clearly not seeing this from the same angle here...
In spite of whatever intention(s) Hasan is/was harboring, I just can't imagine how the government could willingly hand out money to someone who definitely killed and hurt many innocent lives....

But that just seems to be the way the military functions--full of secrets and ambiguous dealings. Have you guys heard or read about the recent military scandal in Taiwan involving the soldier who was tortured to death by his superiors?
Reply 10
Original post by Izzyeviel

hes pretty guilty though...
It's just standard practice because he technically remains in the employ of the US military until he's found guilty. It's simpler to pay all soldiers awaiting court martial on the assumption that they're innocent, plus the fact that many of them send their pay home for their families - it's not their fault if their husband/father/wife/mother does something wrong.

Isolated incidents might annoy you, but realistically it's not like the money will do him much good in prison.
Original post by Drewski
The US Army doctor who went on the shooting rampage at Fort Hood in 2009 has continued to be paid throughout his imprisonment before trial. So far he's 'earned' ~$280,000 while preparing for trial. He's able to do this because of a loophole which designated his crime as 'workplace violence'.

Thx.

Guess its not a bad loophole when you think about it, especially if the person is innocent.
In this case tho pretty obvious he isn't.
Original post by IdeasForLife

the case was this nutter got radicalised by online muslim imams to shooting a bunch of soldiers in a hospital, and is claiming the defense of " I was protecting muslims in afganistan" I think a US court has already thrown out this defence, so no doubt his lawyers will try come up with some thing else.
Original post by MrNameless
It's just standard practice because he technically remains in the employ of the US military until he's found guilty. It's simpler to pay all soldiers awaiting court martial on the assumption that they're innocent, plus the fact that many of them send their pay home for their families - it's not their fault if their husband/father/wife/mother does something wrong.

Isolated incidents might annoy you, but realistically it's not like the money will do him much good in prison.

I think you raise an important point about the families of those involved in the case. Hasan may have many people who depend on him to provide for them, but that still doesn't diminish the acts he committed. Rather, I think it reminds us of the immense consequences the court's decision will have on not just him, but all those others in his life. We are dealing with a complete person, not an isolated incident...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending