The Student Room Group

UCL vs Birmingham

Hi

I am considering these for chemical engineering

Which uni will give me best experience before and after graduation?

Take everything into account, be my guest

Tell the truth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would recommend Birmingham because its less costly than london
Reply 2
Quite simply go to both and decide that why, the only thing that matter is your opinion of each of them
Reply 3
Original post by AdoreMoi
I would recommend Birmingham because its less costly than london

What other factors led to this?
Reply 4
In terms of employment, I would say UCL has a better reputation. But I can't stress enough how much the decision has to be a personal one. You need to think about which uni you liked the best (from visiting etc.) and the best course for you. You will naturally enjoy a uni more if you love the place and the course :biggrin:
Reply 5
I would say UCL just because it's in London so I imagine the student life there is better. Also, UCL is the better institution between the two hands down so it would probably open more doors for you in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by smile:D
In terms of employment, I would say UCL has a better reputation.

Uni league tables say that graduate prospects are less so
Reply 7
Original post by Boitzkrieg
Uni league tables say that graduate prospects are less so

It depends on what your career ambitions are tbh, UCL, for example, is ranked higher internationally from chem engineering than Birmingham
Reply 8
Original post by jarasta
I would say UCL just because it's in London so I imagine the student life there is better. Also, UCL is the better institution between the two hands down so it would probably open more doors for you in the future.

Birmingham has better graduate prospects according to uni league tables
Reply 9
Original post by smile:D
It depends on what your career ambitions are tbh, UCL, for example, is ranked higher internationally from chem engineering than Birmingham

But nationally it is the opposite
Which one should be cared about
I will check what they take in to account

The financial and pharmaceutical sector for most people
Reply 10
Original post by L4L4
Quite simply go to both and decide that why, the only thing that matter is your opinion of each of them

Which one do you believe
Reply 11
Which one do you believe

My opinion is bias, as i'm going to Birmingham for my masters and believe London in too expensive in terms of living costs for a student. If you want to know about them from peoples views in general that can count go to each groups forums here ask about the social life and see if you find anyone who did the course you you interested in.

brum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=39
UCL http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=55
Reply 12
Original post by L4L4
My opinion is bias, as i'm going to Birmingham for my masters and believe London in too expensive in terms of living costs for a student. If you want to know about them from peoples views in general that can count go to each groups forums here ask about the social life and see if you find anyone who did the course you you interested in.

brum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=39
UCL http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=55

do what this guy suggests.
Reply 13
Original post by WeeGuy
do what this guy suggests.

What do you suggest Wee?
Reply 14
What do you suggest Wee?

first things first its WeeGuy not wee. :rolleyes:

i would try to visit the unis to see which you like. talk to students at UCL and Brum on TSR to hear their experiences.
Both are great universities but going to Birmingham will be much cheaper than UCL.

However if you were basing this on national and international reputation then UCL without a shadow of a doubt although Birmingham does have a strong reputation too. If I had to choose I'd go for UCL.
Reply 16
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Both are great universities but going to Birmingham will be much cheaper than UCL.

However if you were basing this on national and international reputation then UCL without a shadow of a doubt although Birmingham does have a strong reputation too. If I had to choose I'd go for UCL.

Birmingham have superior sporting facilities too
But nationally it is the opposite
Which one should be cared about
I will check what they take in to account

The financial and pharmaceutical sector for most people

Ucl is consistently ranked amongst the top universities in the UK and globally and I seriously doubt your employment prospects would be hampered by attending UCL although they wouldn't be hampered going to Birmingham either. I just get the feeling that the networking opportunities etc would be better at UCL give its stronger reputation. If cost is not a huge factor then really studying in London is second to none. But remember there are plenty of not so financially well endowed students attending London universities.

I think the opportunity to attend a prestigious university like UCL and live and study in one the great cities of the world is an opportunity not to be missed. Do go visit both and decide for yourself though but if career prospects concerns you then this should not be the case with either university.
Birmingham have superior sporting facilities too

UCL has excellent facilities too as does the University of London of which you are a member too.

Are you high level sportsman? Even so either university will satisfy your needs.

It seems you are keen on Birmingham as whenever someone suggests UCL you seem to put forward Birmingham. Question is then, why even bother deliberating if your mind is set?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
UCL has excellent facilities too as does the University of London of which you are a member too.

You love it

Are you high level sportsman? Even so either university will satisfy your needs.

Athletics

It seems you are keen on Birmingham as whenever someone suggests UCL you seem to put forward Birmingham. Question is then, why even bother deliberating if your mind is set?

In fact i firmed UCL ummm

I am one of the devil's advocates' sons

Quick Reply

Latest