Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by itsmagic
I scrolled down.. glad that you've got it sorted :smile:
Nope, I've heard nothing! (Not just from King's, I haven't heard anything from anyone) have you heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely nothing yet lol
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 381
Original post by maryam77
hey congrats guys!

Iv'e just currently started Alevel, and need serious advice.
Ive always dreamt big. My only aspiration in life has been to become a doctor. I did poorly in my gcses, getting 2As, 7Bs and 3Cc (1 C in science), I'm not doing any a level science. Im working to get As and A*s at a level (maths, eng lit, geog and eco), is applying for the foundation route possible with these grades? Do i need 2 retake my gcses in order to gain higher, after my Alevels. Or shall i stop, rethink my life and believe that achieving this dream is something I'm not capable off?

When you say the foundation route into medicine do you mean the extended medical degree programme (6 years) Kings do?

If so, the following is what is stated on their website

United Kingdom
A levels
AAA-BBB
Compulsory subjects
Chemistry and Biology required at A-level. GCSE requirement: at least grade C in English Language and Mathematics, if not offered at A/AS-level. NOTE: this programme is only open to students from participating UK schools in the London, Kent and Medway area

Therefore you must have taken both Chemistry and Biology A-levels to be eligible to apply for this course. Give them a call I am sure they will give you advice on what to do.

Hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 382
I have a feeling this is the week guys - the week interviews are sent out! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by franngu
I have a feeling this is the week guys - the week interviews are sent out! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really think so?? It's quite early but it feels like forever!!! I hope you're right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nana96
Isit true King's give interviews to the top 10% ukcat scores? my score is 737.5 where does this put me?

I attended the Medicine Open Day last year at King's and it was mentioned in the admissions lecture that they interview roughly the top 25% UKCAT scores out of the pool of applicants to the university. Obviously they also factored in GCSE results (I believe King's have a sliding scale using both UKCAT and GCSE results), and a little consideration is put into things like personal statement, ect.
I'm not sure how high your score will have to be this year to make it into that top 25%, but 737.5 is really good, especially coupled with a good few A* grades at GCSE. I think across TSR people have been guessing at rough estimates for the King's cut-off UKCAT score this year: 725-730 seems to be the most common range of figures, but no one really knows until interviews begin to come out, plus no one knows how much GCSE grades influence this either. Last year's UKCAT cut-off was 695, yet some applicants received interviews with lower UKCAT scores, because of higher GCSEs, or perhaps exceptional personal statements. :smile:
Reply 385
Original post by PocketMerlin
I attended the Medicine Open Day last year at King's and it was mentioned in the admissions lecture that they interview roughly the top 25% UKCAT scores out of the pool of applicants to the university. Obviously they also factored in GCSE results (I believe King's have a sliding scale using both UKCAT and GCSE results), and a little consideration is put into things like personal statement, ect.
I'm not sure how high your score will have to be this year to make it into that top 25%, but 737.5 is really good, especially coupled with a good few A* grades at GCSE. I think across TSR people have been guessing at rough estimates for the King's cut-off UKCAT score this year: 725-730 seems to be the most common range of figures, but no one really knows until interviews begin to come out, plus no one knows how much GCSE grades influence this either. Last year's UKCAT cut-off was 695, yet some applicants received interviews with lower UKCAT scores, because of higher GCSEs, or perhaps exceptional personal statements. :smile:

I've also heard a top 25% selection and this year 705 was the top 20% for UKCAT so anything above 700 and you're safe for selection I guess as long as you have outstanding gcses/ predictions etc. as far as I'm concerned they don't work on a cut-off but last year the AVERAGE applicant had a UKCAT score of 695.
Reply 386
Original post by Loiks94
I've also heard a top 25% selection and this year 705 was the top 20% for UKCAT so anything above 700 and you're safe for selection I guess as long as you have outstanding gcses/ predictions etc. as far as I'm concerned they don't work on a cut-off but last year the AVERAGE applicant had a UKCAT score of 695.

You have to remember its the top 25% of those who applied to kings not all the cohort who took the UKCAT, so its likely to be higher. I'm quite nervous myself, really on the edge with 735.... But only time will tell. Really want to be a Kings medic :smile:
Original post by MrDoctor
You have to remember its the top 25% of those who applied to kings not all the cohort who took the UKCAT, so its likely to be higher. I'm quite nervous myself, really on the edge with 735.... But only time will tell. Really want to be a Kings medic :smile:

'on the edge'? Seriously?
tell that to somebody who's applying with 600... or me, 670.
Reply 388
Original post by MrDoctor

I have 720 :'( From last year's 695, I though I would be safe :/
Reply 389
Original post by magdalisious
'on the edge'? Seriously?
tell that to somebody who's applying with 600... or me, 670.

Sorry, didnt mean it like that, I seriously think I am because my GCSE are not the 9A* that all the people with lower UKCAT seem to have so I'm quite worried tbh. I know how you feel :/
Reply 390
Original post by KanKan
I have 720 :'( From last year's 695, I though I would be safe :/

Same, but only time will tell. We just have to hope I guess :smile:
for GCSE's I obtained 4 A*'s, 4 A's and 2 Bs

predicted all A's for Alevel

should i even think of applying or consider resits in my GCSE's?
Worrying about whether or not you meet the "cut-off" or not is the worst thing to do, even though it's practically impossible not to at this stage in the game. You could have an exceptional personal statement that happens to get you in with a lower UKCAT, you could be pushed up on the scale due to your GCSEs, or to be in the top 25% you may not need a score of 890. I got a rejection from King's just before Christmas last year, worrying about it made it worse. Pour yourself into A-level studies, or work, or into refining yourself for interview (you applied to four med schools, you only need one shot).
Original post by natasha_rainey
for GCSE's I obtained 4 A*'s, 4 A's and 2 Bs

predicted all A's for Alevel

should i even think of applying or consider resits in my GCSE's?

A really high UKCAT will make up for not a huge number of A* grades (4 A* grades is absolutely great, what I mean is a stupidly high number to compete with the 8-11A* grades some King's applicants have). Resitting your GCSEs may cause problems in applying; I'm not sure how med schools will view that, so it is worth checking with admissions, but it could be a waste of time and money to resit anyway. Work hard at your A-levels instead. Make your personal statement amazing.
I'd also recommend the isc medical "600 UKCAT Questions" book, plus Medify or a Kaplan course when it comes closer to the time of your UKCAT. It may be an idea to try familiarising yourself with the format of the test now by taking the online mocks every few weeks or so. I would have even recommended sitting the UKCAT a year early (the score won't count, but the experience will help) if you have the time/money to do so, but Medify/Kaplan will help you familiarise yourself with the test, and the mocks simulate the experience of it pretty well.
Reply 394
I've lost all hope with kings now. I applied with a 687.5 UKCAT and 4 A*s and 7 As at GCSE. I got 4 As at AS but this wasn't my first time doing AS. I do have mitigating circumstances for this. But, I'm still so worried now. People applying to Kings have crazy UKCAT scores!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Hey!! I am getting really worried reading the amazing Uckat scores everyone has got here, I got 647,5 in the Ukcat. 8A* and 2A in my GCSEs and 5As in the As-level. Please be honest guys, what are my chances???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jazelle
Hey!! I am getting really worried reading the amazing Uckat scores everyone has got here, I got 647,5 in the Ukcat. 8A* and 2A in my GCSEs and 5As in the As-level. Please be honest guys, what are my chances???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truthfully, you may struggle as your UKCAT is below average, you do have great GCSEs and academic qualifications which may give u a shot with the sliding scale but kings do put a lot of weight on the UKCAT and yours isn't as competitive as others. Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll be fine but I'm just talking from seeing friends apply here and last years thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Why does it feel like all the medical schools are starting to hand out interviews EXCEPT the ones I applied to?!?! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by franngu
Why does it feel like all the medical schools are starting to hand out interviews EXCEPT the ones I applied to?!?! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feeling the same. I am so nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Anyone here who has been invited to interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest