The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eddy1993
Barts gives a standard offer of AAAa I believe, with an a at AS aswell as 3 at a2 which is 420 ucas points - I think.

Just 3 As at a2 is 360 points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope its AAAb which is quite weird because that doesn't get you enough ucas points so i'm assuming if you have AAAb you have to do other stuff that gives you points...btw their ucas tariff cut off is 460 not 420!
Reply 581
Original post by lovelycup7
I applied last year and got rejected during the first week of December (no interview). But hopefully it all goes okay for you :smile: As for the UCAS tariff points/UKCAT, I think they're given equal weightings - but don't quote me on that.

Do you mind if I ask what your statistics were last year? Thanks a lot!
Reply 582
Can someone kindly call up Barts to ask if any offers for interviews have been sent out yet? ( I am not in the UK at the moment )
I dont mean to say I dont trust the person who said that she had got an interview invitation. However, it is a bit strange that the interview date was notified 2 months in advance....
I am getting anxious and worried by this and I think a lot of people here feel the same too..
Original post by nhta112
Can someone kindly call up Barts to ask if any offers for interviews have been sent out yet? ( I am not in the UK at the moment )
I dont mean to say I dont trust the person who said that she had got an interview invitation. However, it is a bit strange that the interview date was notified 2 months in advance....
I am getting anxious and worried by this and I think a lot of people here feel the same too..

:smile: It's okay. Don't be too anxious. Barts must interview, what, 800 people every cycle? The only person who (we know) got invited to interview has exceptional stats (UKCAT >830, 5 A levels, already achieved 2). There are plenty of interview invites to be handed out. Also, cut them some slack - they only received all our UKCAT scores last week. (Imagine sifting through 4000 or so score reports)

According to last year's thread, interviews usually start in January with offers given out (all in one go) in March. Let's sit tight and stay positive; it's going to be a looooong wait.
Original post by eddy1993
Barts gives a standard offer of AAAa I believe, with an a at AS aswell as 3 at a2 which is 420 ucas points - I think.

Just 3 As at a2 is 360 points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A at AS aswell...

Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
nope its AAAb which is quite weird because that doesn't get you enough ucas points so i'm assuming if you have AAAb you have to do other stuff that gives you points...btw their ucas tariff cut off is 460 not 420!

God I am terrified now! So they expect you to have extra-curriculars and other stuff to give you tariff points??

This is alleviating my crippling anxiety somewhat: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti#incoming-319087

According to the Offers spreadsheet, there were successful applicants with tariffs below 460, and decent UKCAT scores (but I'm assuming they may have had mitigating circurmstances?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 585
I have a friend who applied to Barts last year and was given an interview offer just before Christmas so its not late at all guys. Don't give up hope this early. The game has just commenced ... hopefully we all hear good news soon :smile:
Original post by nhta112
Do you mind if I ask what your statistics were last year? Thanks a lot!

Sure! Predicted A*AAA, GCSEs 5A*5A's UKCAT 670(it was this that let me down). So I'm trying again! :tongue:
Original post by Cephalosporin
:smile: It's okay. Don't be too anxious. Barts must interview, what, 800 people every cycle? The only person who (we know) got invited to interview has exceptional stats (UKCAT >830, 5 A levels, already achieved 2). There are plenty of interview invites to be handed out. Also, cut them some slack - they only received all our UKCAT scores last week. (Imagine sifting through 4000 or so score reports)

According to last year's thread, interviews usually start in January with offers given out (all in one go) in March. Let's sit tight and stay positive; it's going to be a looooong wait.

I have got similar high UKCAT score as the person who got the interview. I have not received anything yet. I had called Barts on Friday and asked if they have started sending interview invitations. The answer was they are still assessing applications. So I am staying calm.
Seriously guys it's November not January/Febuary, you guys need to chill out and wait! They have like 2000+ applications it's hard to assess them all in sufficient detail. They probably still need to determine cut offs for UKCAT/UCAS tariff so chill :smile:
Original post by raveen789
Seriously guys it's November not January/Febuary, you guys need to chill out and wait! They have like 2000+ applications it's hard to assess them all in sufficient detail. They probably still need to determine cut offs for UKCAT/UCAS tariff so chill :smile:

When would the Ukcat and Ucas tariff cut-off will be released? I am a bit scared regarding my UKCAT score of 2540. They had a cut-off of 2400 last year. Do you think my high Ucas tariff of 700 would be able to compensate for my low Ukcat? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anxious Owl
I got an A at AS aswell...

God I am terrified now! So they expect you to have extra-curriculars and other stuff to give you tariff points??

This is alleviating my crippling anxiety somewhat: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti#incoming-319087

According to the Offers spreadsheet, there were successful applicants with tariffs below 460, and decent UKCAT scores (but I'm assuming they may have had mitigating circurmstances?)

yeah you can get ucas points from a range of things! stuff like EPQs/general studies/musical instruments etc....yeah most people who go for queen marys either have those or are doing 4 a-levels....yeah I think exceptions may be made if your ukcat is amazing but I think 460 is there cut off...

this is what it says on the website: A100 applicants (not including graduates) who achieve at least 2400 overall in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 460 or more.

How we use the UCAS Tariff
◾For school-leavers/gap year students, you must be predicted to achieve a UCAS Tariff of at least 460. We expect you to take all exams for which we have been given a predicted result.
◾We are not able to give you advice on the minimum score we require, since it varies from year to year; however, it is unlikely that you would be offered an interview if you obtained a UCAS Tariff of less than 460, although there is no guarantee you will be offered an interview if you score above this.
◾UCAS Tariff is not relevant for graduates who apply for either the 5 year or 4 year programme.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/index.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jollygood
When would the Ukcat and Ucas tariff cut-off will be released? I am a bit scared regarding my UKCAT score of 2540. They had a cut-off of 2400 last year. Do you think my high Ucas tariff of 700 would be able to compensate for my low Ukcat? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well last year you should have got an interview so yeah your in with a shot but I can't say for certain it just depends on the cohort :smile:
Reply 592
[INDENT]hey congrats guys!

Iv'e just currently started Alevel, and need serious advice.
Ive always dreamt big. My only aspiration in life has been to become a doctor. I did poorly in my gcses, getting 2As, 7Bs and 3Cc (1 C in science), I'm not doing any a level science. Im working to get As and A*s at a level (maths, eng lit, geog and eco), is applying for the foundation route possible with these grades? Do i need 2 retake my gcses in order to gain higher, after my Alevels. Or shall i stop, rethink my life and believe that achieving this dream is something I'm not capable off?[/INDENT]

Reply 593
Woow congrats to everyone who got interviews, hope i hear from them soon the wait is killing me -___-
I was looking at this today : https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti

and according to it, there were roughly 13 applicants shortlisted for interview with a tariff of 430 or below, and UKCAT scores of 2600 or below.

I was wondering if perhaps they were selected due to mitigating circumstances? (Seeing as the competition is so high)

Or maybe they had very impressive personal statements/experience?
Reply 595
Why does it feel like all the medical schools are starting to hand out interviews EXCEPT the ones I applied to?!?! :frown:
I was looking at this today : https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti

and according to it, there were roughly 13 applicants shortlisted for interview with a tariff of 430 or below, and UKCAT scores of 2600 or below.

I was wondering if perhaps they were selected due to mitigating circumstances? (Seeing as the competition is so high)

Is the ukcat cut-off for the last year not 2400 ? And ucas tariff cut-off 460? Why are you saying 2600 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

They have that newham doc scheme i think which exempts certain candidates from normal selection process if their school does not allow them to take more than 3 A levels or something, so might be that!
Original post by jollygood
Is the ukcat cut-off for the last year not 2400 ? And ucas tariff cut-off 460? Why are you saying 2600 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

I was merely comparing those with the lowest UCAS tariff, and by extension, their UKCAT scores, not lowest UKCAT scores :smile:

Original post by raveen789
They have that newham doc scheme i think which exempts certain candidates from normal selection process if their school does not allow them to take more than 3 A levels or something, so might be that!

That would make a lot of sense, thanks for that :smile:
a question to distract us from the dreadful wait:

does anyone know how the PBL is at Barts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending