The Student Room Group

Dilemma about Foundation art or working full time...

Hey all,:smile:

So I’ve got a dilemma. I’ve got an enrolment interview at college next week for a Art & Design Foundation Degree. But, I’m not sure whether I exactly want to do this.

Due to my age, I have to pay around £1500 for this course, possible over 4 instalments. Yet with how much I earn a month, this would just about cover it, but working the other 4 days a week to help, and the 3 days a week on the course. Hence not much spare time. And in turn, I wouldn’t be that happy.

I’ve got 6 AS-level from D-E and one at C, ranging from science to psychology, then 3 A- Levels ACD, in CAD, art and product design. So I suppose most uni’s wouldn’t touch me? :s-smilie: I did have a uni application for product design, but my heart wasn’t in it. So I withdrew it. The other factor being living costs. I don’t get that much from the government, so I need to raise at least 3-4K per year, and that’s not really achievable.

So this makes me think doing this course would be pointless? I was talking to my manager, I work in Asda and he’s fully supportive to train me through their scheme to make me a manager, team leader etc. Along with his trading manager as well.

So this leans me towards working full time in Asda, doing this scheme but I still want to study at the same time. So I was tempted towards a Business Studies degree from the Open Uni. Its better financially then Uni itself, whilst I earn a near full time wage.

Can anyone kinda see where I’m stuck? I feel like my friends are doing it and so should I, yet four years at the same college makes me just want to leave, considering I’m 20 this year too.

Any advice of people in similar positions would be great, and well anyone really to make me see a decision more clearer. I’m literally changing my mind everyday :s-smilie:

Cheers

Edit: I do actually wish I did business studies at GCSE stage..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Danny,
I think you would have chosen to do CAD, art and design because you have a passion for it. I wonder if a graphic design company might employ you as a junior apprentice and offer you training, just like Asda would. If you have learned CAD, you can approach architect firms. Then there is web design.
Roy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending