The Student Room Group

A-Levels for Law

I received my GCSE results yesterday and am now choosing my A-Level Options. I have decided to take Maths, History, Economics and either Chemistry or Further Maths, but don't know which is more suitable for law. I know that universities don't have any requirements but they must prefer one.
I also got 6A*s and 6As yesterday, so was wondering if I was capable of doing all 5 and if I had a realistic chance of law at Oxbridge.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by samsun_
I received my GCSE results yesterday and am now choosing my A-Level Options. I have decided to take Maths, History, Economics and either Chemistry or Further Maths, but don't know which is more suitable for law. I know that universities don't have any requirements but they must prefer one.
I also got 6A*s and 6As yesterday, so was wondering if I was capable of doing all 5 and if I had a realistic chance of law at Oxbridge.
Thanks

Dont do 5, especially with the content of the subjects its likely you will get bogged down which will affect your AS's. You dont win many favours with it either.

Maths, history, economics and Chemistry or fmaths is fine. History and economics being the main essay subjects required. English literature is also a very valued subject for law, which is on par with History.Likewise for Ancient history.

I dont believe Oxford will mind either chemistry or fmaths though. Both are good subjects to take.
Original post by samsun_
Thanks

Law student here. I did Maths, Chemistry, History and English Lit AS.

I personally found that Maths and Chemistry prepared me best for Law over the essay-based subjects due to the almost algebraic nature of some problem questions in certain modules. (Basically just said this to defend your options - don't be persuaded to take another essay-based subject!)

So yeah, FMaths or Chemistry are both appropriate. I would recommend Chemistry as I really enjoyed it, although it is fairly challenging. Do what you think you will either enjoy more or get a better grade in though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by samsun_
Thanks

I did five subjects at AS and have less A*'s at GCSE than you do, same amount of A's though :smile:.

It's possible but don't spread yourself too thinly and be prepared to drop down to four subjects in the middle of the year if it does become too much. And then possibly three after the first year :smile:
There's no point doing 5 A levels - Oxbridge only require 3. You'll just put undue pressure on yourself.

A mix of science and arts subjects are best, but you'll probably find that law students do all sorts of combinations. For what it's worth, I got into Oxford 3 years ago, and studied History, English Literature and Politics for A level. I did Maths for AS. One of my friends did sciences and a language, and was given an offer too.

Also, it's worth reading the blacklist for Trinity College Cambridge, it provides a general guide to A level combinations if you're aiming for Oxbridge - http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, still yet to decide but probably won't do five :smile:
Reply 6
Making a decision tomorrow, can anyone give any last minute advice?

Quick Reply

Latest