The Student Room Group

Uk student wanting to get a scholarship for Sport in USA

Hey, So I recently got my AS results back and did horrible on them, C,D.E.E. This really got me doubting my academic skills. I currently play Sunday league football in one of the biggest sunday football leauges in England, (Hull boys sunday football league). Anyways I've recently woke up after having a lucid dream about not fulfilling my life goals. and that is living in America. Im just wondering what skills will I need and grades to go study in America for Sport, Preferably football.

Here are some of my achievements:-
2x Player of the season awards
1x Winning every game of the season
1x Promotion to the top league
1x Playing for around 5 years

This year we are in the top league, And Im wondering what im gonna have to do to be accepted upon a course in America.

Thank you in advance:smile:.
Reply 1
I don't know too much about USA scholarships however I do know what it takes to get a 100% scholarship and I don't think you'll get one (if thats what your expecting) unless you are extremely good i.e. good enough to play professionally. Without a 100% scholarship it would be very expensive to go there, their fees are much much more expensive than ours, so even if you had a 50% scholarship you'd still have to pay around $15,000 a year upfront just for the tuition fees and thats excluding accommodation, living costs, and flights home in the holidays. If you have that kind of money lying around then great, if not it might not be a possibility.
I only know 1 person to get a 100% scholarship which was for swimming and they were competing at European level.

Sorry to be so negative but if you really do want to go there you should make some phone calls and see what they say, you never know until you try.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
What would I have to do to improve my chances? If I pushed really hard this year I think I could get trials for a professional team, or do you think I should improve my academic skills? or go onto do level 3 sports?
Original post by Landing
Hey, So I recently got my AS results back and did horrible on them, C,D.E.E. This really got me doubting my academic skills. I currently play Sunday league football in one of the biggest sunday football leauges in England, (Hull boys sunday football league). Anyways I've recently woke up after having a lucid dream about not fulfilling my life goals. and that is living in America. Im just wondering what skills will I need and grades to go study in America for Sport, Preferably football.

Here are some of my achievements:-
2x Player of the season awards
1x Winning every game of the season
1x Promotion to the top league
1x Playing for around 5 years

This year we are in the top league, And Im wondering what im gonna have to do to be accepted upon a course in America.

Thank you in advance:smile:.

Generally, due to the limitation of scholarships per team the NCAA administer. The likely hood of ANYONE getting a full sports scholarship is low, I believe for Div I and II the limit is 9.9 and 9 scholarships per team respectively. This is usually shared between a team of 25 - 30 players. Normally, the coach will convince the school to offer the athlete other forms of financial aid, either through academic scholarships, loans, or financial aid grants - if your are from a low income family.

As for getting these scholarships:

Firstly, check your eligibility grade-wise on the NCAA Standards Guide: http://www.denverpioneers.com/fls/18600/pdf/Compliance/2012-13/2012-13_International_Academics_Standards_Guide.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=18600
Scroll to number 175 for the UK

Secondly, make sure to take the SAT this fall

Thirdly, get in contact with as many coaches as possible of Men's Soccer teams in the US, make sure to upload videos of yourself playing to YouTube and link them the videos in the emails you send. You're quite a bit late for the recruiting season so definitely make an effort to start NOW. Deadline for the next year is usually January.

Optionally, you could just sign up for one of those scholarship agencies, you would have to part with £800 - £2000 depending on the agency. Make sure to do the correct amount of research before you sign with one of them, there are quite a few scams and untrustworthy program's out there.

Good luck, if you need more clarification just tell me. :smile:
Reply 5
With the awards you've received, I would also have your coaches write a reference letter for you. From what I know of University sports, what you study is not important. If you are a star athlete, your chances of getting a scholarship are good. As far as your grades go, they may not be important. Again, if you are a star athlete, in the US, your athletic abilities are more important than your grades. Not at all universities though. I do know certain universities who have high academic admissions requirements, will still require their athletes to have good grades. In general, if they really want you, they don't care that you are an average student. On that note, I would also say that you need to be able to pass your classes. Passing is a C (maybe C-). There is no grade of E in the US. Just A - D, then F.

Do not give up on your dreams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I used to live in America, and almost every high school in the USA has a football team. Meaning there are THOUSANDS of talented boys playing it. I can guarantee you will not be offered a full scholarship at a good university without them having seen you play...you'll definitely have to send in videos. It's a lot harder than you think. There will have been thousands (or maybe hundreds :wink: ) player of the years or seasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending