The Student Room Group

History entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile: I was just wondering - has anyone had any offers for History on its own from York, Warwick or Birmingham yet?
Hey :smile:
I've applied to Warwick, but haven't heard anything back yet. Ive heard they have made a few offers for Maths and my friend has got a Drama interview invitation, but I don't think they give offers for the more academic subjects til a later date, most likely after new year!
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Hey :smile:
I've applied to Warwick, but haven't heard anything back yet. Ive heard they have made a few offers for Maths and my friend has got a Drama interview invitation, but I don't think they give offers for the more academic subjects til a later date, most likely after new year!

Ooh thank you that's good to know :smile: I'll stop waiting on them so much then :tongue:
Reply 23
AS: AAAC

Prediction: A*AA

Cambridge, LSE, Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick

LSE and Edinburgh are for Economic History :smile: so scared about LSE :/

:biggrin: the waiting is destroying my soul everyday
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
AS: AAAAB
Predictions: A* A B
applying to sheffield, royal holloway, Southampton, queen Mary and I'm unsure about my fifth choice! Really really want to go to sheffield, the course looks amazing!!
Original post by ErHi?
AS: AAAC

Prediction: A*AA

Cambridge, LSE, Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick

LSE and Edinburgh are for Economic History :smile: so scared about LSE :/

:biggrin: the waiting is destroying my soul everyday

You got a C and you're still applying for Cambridge?! I got AABB and I forgot about applying to Oxbridge, even with my predictions AA*A*. Sorry to say this, but you stand very little chance unless you've got all the top grades, and they still reject thousands of people who get those. You have to do LOADS of stuff in your spare time...

Plus you haven't picked any unis with low grade boundaries, and as you've picked 4 of the country's top universities, well, I've no idea what you're going to do.
Reply 26
Original post by SoggyTractor
You got a C and you're still applying for Cambridge?! I got AABB and I forgot about applying to Oxbridge, even with my predictions AA*A*. Sorry to say this, but you stand very little chance unless you've got all the top grades, and they still reject thousands of people who get those. You have to do LOADS of stuff in your spare time...

Plus you haven't picked any unis with low grade boundaries, and as you've picked 4 of the country's top universities, well, I've no idea what you're going to do.

LSE - AAB so you got the low grade boundaries wrong...

I couldn't really care about Cambridge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ErHi?
LSE - AAB so you got the low grade boundaries wrong...

I couldn't really care about Cambridge.

History is AAA at LSE, mate. For history, anyway. It's one of the best universities in the world; they don't accept Bs. Surely that's why you're 'worried' about it??

It doesn't matter if you care about Cambridge; you APPLIED for it. I was just warning you and sharing my experience, why not respond properly rather than getting pointlessly defensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
History is AAA at LSE, mate. For history, anyway. It's one of the best universities in the world; they don't accept Bs. Surely that's why you're 'worried' about it??

It doesn't matter if you care about Cambridge; you APPLIED for it. I was just warning you and sharing my experience, why not respond properly rather than getting pointlessly defensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The poster clearly stated they were applying for economic history - which is AAB at LSE.
Also the C for cambridge will be less important as they take the applicant's top 3 AS UMS anyway...
Reply 29
Applying with AAB predicted to AAA required: advisable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, is anyone else aware of Queen Mary London? They're a Russel Group uni yet they only require ABB. For history, anyway. That's amazing, isn't it?

I got into Queen Mary yesterday :smile: but if you look at the rankings for history (which I presume you have..many times) you'll see they're nowhere near the top :/
Not single honours history but still applying for joint honours English and history!

AS: AAA A2(predicted): AAA

Applied to Nottingham, Birmingham, Loughborough, Royal Holloway and Winchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the poster below has already confirmed, you did not read my first post properly where I said I'm applying for economic history where the requirements are AAB,

And also, again,as the poster below has said, Cambridge only look at the 3 most relevant AS Levels. Indeed, a C will make me look weaker, however, they do take into contextual factors to the application and mine are not the ordinary privileged upbringing plus schools results are quite awful in general.

I can understand you were trying to give advice but it did seem very confrontational when you basically said pigs will fly before I get into Cambridge
Reply 33
Original post by smile:D
The poster clearly stated they were applying for economic history - which is AAB at LSE.
Also the C for cambridge will be less important as they take the applicant's top 3 AS UMS anyway...

Thanks for the backup :smile: Annoys me when people just try to give their opinion before properly reading posts...
Reply 34
Original post by ErHi?
Thanks for the backup :smile: Annoys me when people just try to give their opinion before properly reading posts...

No probs :smile:, good luck with your application btw, I'm also applying for LSE (for international history rather than economic though :biggrin:)

To be very fair, I don't think you are in any position to tell someone that they 'stand very little chance'. I'm quite sure that is for Cambridge or Oxford to tell them. You've done it to two different people on this thread. One person who achieved AAAC, which are excellent AS grades. To be quite honest, having visited Cambridge and Oxford on numerous occasions, I have been told by various tutors that whilst grades are of the utmost importance (and perhaps the sole most important factor), they evaluate each applicant on an individual basis with a holistic outlook. As such, you have no right or authority to tell someone that they 'stand very little chance' because you have no concept of what factors their chosen college will consider and which aspects of their education will have affected their AS results. If you gave up on applying to Oxbridge because you felt that your grades were not good enough, that is your own personal judgement. Do not attack people who feel that they have worked hard, love their subject, and deserve a chance at applying and getting in to one of the world's top academic institutions. Your opinion is your own. You are in no position to speak of an applicant's chances.
Reply 36
Original post by smile:D
No probs :smile:, good luck with your application btw, I'm also applying for LSE (for international history rather than economic though :biggrin:)

You too :biggrin: isn't LSE great? I kinda love British History so I couldn't bring myself to apply for international history but some of the modules do look amazing! I know there is a majority of people who hate economic history though, one of them is my own history teacher haha,

How far you into the application process for LSE? And where else you applying? Always love to talk to fellow history applications :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by MichaelMaq
To be very fair, I don't think you are in any position to tell someone that they 'stand very little chance'. I'm quite sure that is for Cambridge or Oxford to tell them. You've done it to two different people on this thread. One person who achieved AAAC, which are excellent AS grades. To be quite honest, having visited Cambridge and Oxford on numerous occasions, I have been told by various tutors that whilst grades are of the utmost importance (and perhaps the sole most important factor), they evaluate each applicant on an individual basis with a holistic outlook. As such, you have no right or authority to tell someone that they 'stand very little chance' because you have no concept of what factors their chosen college will consider and which aspects of their education will have affected their AS results. If you gave up on applying to Oxbridge because you felt that your grades were not good enough, that is your own personal judgement. Do not attack people who feel that they have worked hard, love their subject, and deserve a chance at applying and getting in to one of the world's top academic institutions. Your opinion is your own. You are in no position to speak of an applicant's chances.

That made me feel much more confident haha,thanks :biggrin: I'm really not too sure whether the poster meant to be horrible or his criticism was a bit forceful....
Reply 38
Original post by ErHi?
You too :biggrin: isn't LSE great? I kinda love British History so I couldn't bring myself to apply for international history but some of the modules do look amazing! I know there is a majority of people who hate economic history though, one of them is my own history teacher haha,

How far you into the application process for LSE? And where else you applying? Always love to talk to fellow history applications :smile:

That must be kind of awkward :tongue:! Yeah, I like British history too but I liked the fact that at LSE you could more modern stuff, as unusually we haven't done anything like that at my college for A-level.

I've so far applied to Cambridge, Durham and obviously LSE but I'm holding back on my other choices for awhile :smile:, for LSE I've got the 2 week email, but nothing beyond that, have you heard anything else?
Reply 39
AS: AAAA plus A* in Extended project

A2 (already achieved) A*A*A

Applied to - UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol and Cambridge.

Im just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Bristol offer wise? or an acknowledgement email from Durham, or do they not bother? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending