The Student Room Group

Master degree after PhD?

Are there any examples (or potentials) of people that have ever gone for (another) master degree after their PhD degree completettion? (either related or non-related field).
Reply 1
There's someone on the masters course I'm about to start who already has a PhD in another subject,so yes it can be done. I can't see the point in doing one in a closely related subject though - I'd guess the main motivations would be either out of interest (if you have the time and money to spare) or as a step to a career change.
Reply 2
Original post by sj27
There's someone on the masters course I'm about to start who already has a PhD in another subject,so yes it can be done. I can't see the point in doing one in a closely related subject though - I'd guess the main motivations would be either out of interest (if you have the time and money to spare) or as a step to a career change.

May I ask your subject and/or university?
Reply 3
IR at Cambridge. The person in question has a PhD from a Russell Group uni.
Reply 4
My MA supervisor was doing an MA at the time - in a related field, but different enough to warrant it, as she wanted to shift her research focus.

I also know someone who went back several (i.e. A LOT) of years after their science PhD to do a humanities research MA. It was after they retired though, and just for fun.

I've considered doing another Master's after I've finished my PhD, but it wouldn't be for several years.
Reply 5
Original post by Ellim
My MA supervisor was doing an MA at the time - in a related field, but different enough to warrant it, as she wanted to shift her research focus.

I also know someone who went back several (i.e. A LOT) of years after their science PhD to do a humanities research MA. It was after they retired though, and just for fun.

I've considered doing another Master's after I've finished my PhD, but it wouldn't be for several years.

Sounds nice! Good luck to you and hope you ll succeed and enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending