The Student Room Group

How much money are you entering university with?

Hi this month I am going to start university and was wondering how much money people has saved up entering university.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You might as well claim the tuition fee and maintenance loans in your future years though, it doesn't make sense to put unnecessary pressure on yourself to work during uni in order to pay for the costs. You won't get a loan like it again where you only pay back a small amount after earning over £21k so you might as well take it and put any money you don't need into an ISA or something. That way you'll have plenty of savings by the time you finish and won't have to worry about working enough hours to support yourself. Part time jobs that are flexible but give you enough hours are hard to come by, it wouldn't be sensible to pin all your hope on it to pay your fees and living costs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You might as well claim the tuition fee and maintenance loans in your future years though, it doesn't make sense to put unnecessary pressure on yourself to work during uni in order to pay for the costs. You won't get a loan like it again where you only pay back a small amount after earning over £21k so you might as well take it and put any money you don't need into an ISA or something. That way you'll have plenty of savings by the time you finish and won't have to worry about working enough hours to support yourself. Part time jobs that are flexible but give you enough hours are hard to come by, it wouldn't be sensible to pin all your hope on it to pay your fees and living costs.

its better in long term to not have had loans and could show initiative to employers
I'll be going into uni with £30 in the bank to live on until my student finance comes through which may be up to a month late because as usual student finance England ballsed up. :rolleyes: So I may be pretty screwed when it comes to paying my first accommodation instalment because my overdraft won't cover even half of it.
Reply 4
Original post by Ripper-Roo
its better in long term to not have had loans

Is it?
its better in long term to not have had loans and could show initiative to employers

Financially a student loan doesn't affect your credit rating, the only thing it affects is your income as when you start paying it back it will reduce the amount of funds entering your bank account, so if you're applying for a mortgage or something that is all that will be an issue if you're a low earner, so I can't see that being an issue. As for employers I doubt they really care where you got the funds for uni from as long as you worked hard and got a good grade!
Reply 6
$6500 in loans, $4000 in savings and every penny of it will be wiped out by accommodation :colonhash:
Reply 7
Original post by xDave-
Is it?

Financially a student loan doesn't affect your credit rating, the only thing it affects is your income as when you start paying it back it will reduce the amount of funds entering your bank account, so if you're applying for a mortgage or something that is all that will be an issue if you're a low earner, so I can't see that being an issue. As for employers I doubt they really care where you got the funds for uni from as long as you worked hard and got a good grade!

the £50k debt is like a cloud hanging over your head.
Reply 8

absolute tosh... the vast majority of employers couldnt give a monkeys if you have debts least of all student debts... if youre bankrupt theyll start to care or appear to be nearing it otherwise it has nothing to do with their decision as to the best of my knowledge most companies dont do thorough credit checks on potential employees...?
Reply 9
Original post by cl_steele
$6500 in loans, $4000 in savings and every penny of it will be wiped out by accommodation :colonhash:

get your parents to pay
Reply 10
absolute tosh... the vast majority of employers couldnt give a monkeys if you have debts least of all student debts... if youre bankrupt theyll start to care or appear to be nearing it otherwise it has nothing to do with their decision as to the best of my knowledge most companies dont do thorough credit checks on potential employees...?

i mean having a job alongside a degree and not applying for state handouts shows you can manage money well
Reply 11
get your parents to pay

ha i have better chances of finding a block of gold in oxford circus, theyve had enough of me leaching for near 20yrs...
Reply 12

A cloud that is only present when you're earning 21k+, which then requires you to pay a tiny amount to the government. Must be one of those silver lining clouds.

A cloud that disappears after a certain amount of time if you don't pay it off, which you don't pay a penny towards until you're earning over £21,000. The repayments are quite low, much lower than if you were to take a loan from the bank anyhow. Pressuring yourself into a part-time job taking up time you should be spending doing coursework just to pay for your tuition fees is madness IMO, it is likely to have an impact on the quality of the OP's work and in the current economy these jobs are difficult to find and not the most stable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
i mean having a job alongside a degree and not applying for state handouts shows you can manage money well

a job may look good but they couldnt give a stuff about a student loan and its hardly a state hand out, note the term loan?
Reply 15
ha i have better chances of finding a block of gold in oxford circus, theyve had enough of me leaching for near 20yrs...

you did well to have $4000 in savings, must have worked hard. your parents should pay for your accommodation so then you don't have to worry during your degree about running out of money. shelter is a necessity. by not having to spend lots on accommodation you can add to your savings and this will help in long term again, so you'll less reliant on your parents then.

how expensive is your accommodation?
Reply 16
Original post by SophieSmall
I'll be going into uni with £30 in the bank to live on until my student finance comes through which may be up to a month late because as usual student finance England ballsed up. :rolleyes: So I may be pretty screwed when it comes to paying my first accommodation instalment because my overdraft won't cover even half of it.

How much is your accommodation costing if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 17
you did well to have $4000 in savings, must have worked hard. your parents should pay for your accommodation so then you don't have to worry during your degree about running out of money. shelter is a necessity. by not having to spend lots on accommodation you can add to your savings and this will help in long term again, so you'll less reliant on your parents then.

how expensive is your accommodation?

$10,000 [or near enough] for 40 weeks -_- all the halls were gone so i had to go private, those bastards charge an outrageous amount!
ha they might but father is still job hunting so id feel slightly bad bankrupting them before hand :L
saved some from the olympics, worked abroad a little and did some work here, was hoping to bolster it with excess dollar from the loan untill i noticed how much the accom was -_-
Reply 18
Original post by xDave-
A cloud that is only present when you're earning 21k+, which then requires you to pay a tiny amount to the government. Must be one of those silver lining clouds.

most people will earn £21k + though

A cloud that disappears after a certain amount of time if you don't pay it off, which you don't pay a penny towards until you're earning over £21,000. The repayments are quite low, much lower than if you were to take a loan from the bank anyhow. Pressuring yourself into a part-time job taking up time you should be spending doing coursework just to pay for your tuition fees is madness IMO, it is likely to have an impact on the quality of the OP's work and in the current economy these jobs are difficult to find and not the most stable.

i support tuition fee loans but maintenance loans are an unnecessary burden. if parents pay accommodation costs, then that's most of the bulk paid for. then you can use the money from a job to pay for the day-to-day things. to be fair most of the things you need will be bought at the beginning of the year or in bulk, so you don't need to spend that much.

it shows thinking for the long term which is valuable because why owe money when you can work around it?

a job may look good but they couldnt give a stuff about a student loan and its hardly a state hand out, note the term loan?

what about the people who don't pay it back
Reply 19
I'm moving to university with £200 in my bank account until my loan comes through. Then I'll be living entirely off that. After halls take their money I'll have about £500 to live on a term and whatever my parents give me to help me out. Feeling... optimistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending