The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

I just received information about my uni accommodation- and it's not good! :(

Student loan= £5,925
Accommodation= £5,195.19
WHAT?!
I applied through Adjustment because I did better than expected (AAB) and hence it was a case of whatever was left.

I ideally wanted the most low budget accommodation they did and instead I got a en-suite room...call me ungrateful but I really don't care about having my own loo, I'd rather be able to afford to eat for the year.

Should I give it a year and apply again?
I'm really quite upset because this is the total opposite of what I wanted. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by rosikins
Student loan= £5,925
Accommodation= £5,195.19
WHAT?!
I applied through Adjustment because I did better than expected (AAB) and hence it was a case of whatever was left.

I ideally wanted the most low budget accommodation they did and instead I got a en-suite room...call me ungrateful but I really don't care about having my own loo, I'd rather be able to afford to eat for the year.

I'm really quite upset because this is the total opposite of what I wanted. :frown:

Sussex offers First Generation Scholars scheme which is a bursary;

"First Year Students: The financial support element of the scheme consists of a £2000 fee waiver or a £2000 University accommodation rent waiver, plus an additional £1000 bursary paid directly to your bank account." (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/studentlifecentre/funding/bursaries/firstgenerationschol)

I got an email about it today, maybe you could try that?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by donne

"First Year Students: The financial support element of the scheme consists of a £2000 fee waiver or a £2000 University accommodation rent waiver, plus an additional £1000 bursary paid directly to your bank account." (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/studentlifecentre/funding/bursaries/firstgenerationschol)

My parents earn just slightly over the £42,611 you have to be under to claim it, and hence I'm not eligible.

I know someone is going to say ''there's a swap list!''- that's all very good if someone actually wants to swap.
Maybe I should just take a gap year and reapply. :frown:
Reply 3
You could always work part time. Plenty of people do it whilst studying. There are all sorts of hardship funds that you could apply for if you are struggling. If you have gotten into a course you want to do then I wouldn't put it off, if not, then you could always take a gap year then reapply. However if you have accepted and then pull out, you may not get given a second opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kt-nguyen
You could always work part time. Plenty of people do it whilst studying. There are all sorts of hardship funds that you could apply for if you are struggling. If you have gotten into a course you want to do then I wouldn't put it off, if not, then you could always take a gap year then reapply. However if you have accepted and then pull out, you may not get given a second opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again, it's that magical assumption that there is work available- call me a pessimist, but in the current economical climate, I wouldn't say jobs are exactly ten a penny. :/
Reply 5
Original post by donne

was the email saying you are eligible for this financial support? I haven't received this :'(

I just pray they are still emailing people.
Reply 6
Once again, it's that magical assumption that there is work available- call me a pessimist, but in the current economical climate, I wouldn't say jobs are exactly ten a penny. :/

What would you do in your gap year? Find a job?
There is work available you just have to find it, no one is going to just offer you a job. A lot of my friends at uni work, and I've not heard any single one complain they can't get a job. Sure the jobs they do are not fantastic (bar work, promotions, retail etc) but its a means to an end. I was merely offering you an option, not the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by kt-nguyen
What would you do in your gap year? Find a job?
There is work available you just have to find it, no one is going to just offer you a job. A lot of my friends at uni work, and I've not heard any single one complain they can't get a job. Sure the jobs they do are not fantastic (bar work, promotions, retail etc) but its a means to an end. I was merely offering you an option, not the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually currently work part time at Boots, and thus this is why I wanted to attend university ( a degree is required in order to do the business management program). - I'm leaning towards just waiting another year that way I can not only save up a bit more but I can also get all of my accommodation sorted early- since I already know my results, the only downside would be that I wouldn't be going until uni until I was 20 (I was ill the year after GCSE's and hence had to retake my first year of ALevels)

Your set of friends must be very different to mine, because everyone I know studying at university is either unemployed or trying to meet impossible targets in 'commission only' telesales.
(edited 10 years ago)
Student loan= £5,925
Accommodation= £5,195.19
WHAT?!

Welcome to the reality that a hell of a lot of students face each year, and there are a huge number who are worse off than you.

My parents earn enough so that I only qualify for the absolute minimum from Student Finance England, however I don't get a penny of financial support from my parents.

So I get approximately £3,600 maintenance loan and no grants from SFE or my University.

In my first year my accommodation was £4,600, meaning that even before I had taken my living costs into account I already needed to find £1,000 from somewhere.

You know what I did though?

I was glad that I had a place on a good course, at a good Uni, and so I didn't ****ing whinge, I got a part-time job while at Uni, worked full time in the holidays, and didn't waste a load of money on excessive nights out or things I didn't need while I was at Uni.
Student loan= £5,925
Accommodation= £5,195.19
WHAT?!

If you're not happy with your room then you can also do a room swap, where you can swap your room with someone else who has a cheaper room :yep:
Reply 10
hey ! Where will you be living ? I'm looking to swap rooms, because I wanted an en-suite room but didn't get it. I will be at kings road. It's an off-campus accommodation but it's £4,499.04 in total. Are you interesting ?
Reply 11
I actually currently work part time at Boots, and thus this is why I wanted to attend university ( a degree is required in order to do the business management program). - I'm leaning towards just waiting another year that way I can not only save up a bit more but I can also get all of my accommodation sorted early- since I already know my results, the only downside would be that I wouldn't be going until uni until I was 20 (I was ill the year after GCSE's and hence had to retake my first year of ALevels)

Your set of friends must be very different to mine, because everyone I know studying at university is either unemployed or trying to meet impossible targets in 'commission only' telesales.

Transfer to a different Boots store while you're in Sussex - that's what I did when I moved to a different city to go to university as there will be people leaving their part time jobs to go to uni elsewhere in exactly your position. Speak to your manager about it/call around stores in and around Brighton to see if you can transfer.
Reply 12

I know someone is going to say ''there's a swap list!''- that's all very good if someone actually wants to swap.
Maybe I should just take a gap year and reapply. :frown:

A lot of people (the ones with lots of money) will want to swap from the cheaper accommodation to the more expensive ones so I wouldn't worry about it that much. I'm guessing your in northfield? You can also apply for a student union job which pays quite well and you can fit it around your work easily :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by slash2k0
A lot of people (the ones with lots of money) will want to swap from the cheaper accommodation to the more expensive ones so I wouldn't worry about it that much. I'm guessing your in northfield? You can also apply for a student union job which pays quite well and you can fit it around your work easily :smile:

I got Lewes, I got told wait til I get there to see if I want to swap. I was about to ask if cheaper rooms would be available through the swap.
A few people have already said they'd be willing to do a swap, but I assumed I'd be best of waiting until I've already moved in and stuff, right? :smile:
Reply 14
I am also going sussex this year in september. I have been offered accommodation off campus. I have a large study room and the toilet will be shared with another student and its about £1,000 cheaper than your accommodation. swapping at sussex is open from the 23rd of september.
are you intrested in swapping?
I will give you more information if you are intrested and I’m open to personal messages :-)
[email protected]
Reply 15
Student loan= £5,925
Accommodation= £5,195.19
WHAT?!

I ideally wanted the most low budget accommodation they did and instead I got a en-suite room...

Hi, I'm going to sussex this year too. I've been given accomodation on campus which is non-ensuite and about £1500 cheaper than yours. I'm interested in swapping, so if you want more information feel free to pm me :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I got Lewes, I got told wait til I get there to see if I want to swap. I was about to ask if cheaper rooms would be available through the swap.
A few people have already said they'd be willing to do a swap, but I assumed I'd be best of waiting until I've already moved in and stuff, right? :smile:

I think so, I got given park village, which was my last choice and I would rather pay an extra £1000 a year to have a social area and a proper sized kitchen, but others have said its not that bad so I'm just going to move in and see what its like. I hear all of the en suite rooms are in high demand so I wouldn't be worried about not finding a cheaper place to swap to :smile:
Reply 17
Ideally I'd love a single room on East Slope. I don't know how likely that will be to pop up on the swap list though. :frown:
Ideally I'd love a single room on East Slope. I don't know how likely that will be to pop up on the swap list though. :frown:

I think a lot of people may want to swap with you actually, last year I saw on here quite a few people wanted to swap. Maybe post on the east slope facebook page and then if someone wants to swap, swap when the room swap opens?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very likely. People often hate east slope and a lot of people instantly want to swap out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending