The Student Room Group

Cop punches spitter in the face

PC Rohan Scarlett has been found guilty of assault because he punched an arrestee (Andrew Uba) in the face after being spat at in the mouth.

Scarlett claimed he had attacked Uba - after being spat at in his mouth, left eye and other general parts of his face - to prevent Uba from spitting at him again. In a photo shown to the court, there was a pool of blood where Uba had been sitting. Scarlett pleaded not guilty to common assault (well, it said he denied it, so I'm hoping it's just a journalist getting bored of using 'plead' in their articles than actually misrepresenting things).

What do you think of this? Personally, if he had just thrown one punch (he had to open the van door to get at Uba) and admitted what he'd done, I'd be happy if that was the end of it. "Don't spit at cops (or anyone), especially not in their mouth (urgh), or you will get hit" seems a reasonable code of conduct for all of us to live by. I do think that hitting him again (though only once) and also denying it makes things worse, but for all their faults with possibly being too heavy handed sometimes, the cops shouldn't have to put up with being spat on (or in) and just take the criminal to the police station to write up an extra charge. Investigating such incidents makes sense, but I wouldn't see the point in punishing him too hard for the punches, and my main concern would be that he denied it and tried to make up some self defence nonsense.

Scroll to see replies

So is the spitting charge added onto this arrestee's charges? I don't particularly care he got punched in the face, I'd do the same thing personally.
Reply 2
Original post by Snagprophet
So is the spitting charge added onto this arrestee's charges? I don't particularly care he got punched in the face, I'd do the same thing personally.

Dunno, didn't say, though the article was more focused on the consequences for the cop.

Yeah, I don't see a great need for punishing people for hitting those who spit on them.
Fair play. Case closed, NEXT!
Reply 4
Eww but he took it too far, hit him once, maybe twice and treat him roughly while he's in prison like the crappest cell and stuff, but cops should really have more self control as they are after all the enforcers of law, so should abide by it
Reply 5
Original post by hajinator
Eww but he took it too far, hit him once, maybe twice and treat him roughly while he's in prison like the crappest cell and stuff, but cops should really have more self control as they are after all the enforcers of law, so should abide by it

the interesting thing here is that the other cop present must have grassed him rather than pretending not to have seen or colluding in a lie about how the blokes face got bashed.
That's how it would have gone down a decade or two back.
Reply 6
Original post by Hopple
Personally, if he had just thrown one punch (he had to open the van door to get at Uba) and admitted what he'd done, I'd be happy if that was the end of it. "Don't spit at cops (or anyone), especially not in their mouth (urgh), or you will get hit" seems a reasonable code of conduct for all of us to live by.

Legally, it wouldn't make much of a difference to his position though. Whether it's understandable or not, there wouldn't be much choice if he admitted it other than to convict him of a crime and sack him.

I agree though, a bit of a backhand over that sort of thing is not inherently unreasonable. Still, I suppose we expect higher standards of our police who are, after all, charged with the care of people who they detain.

my main concern would be that he denied it and tried to make up some self defence nonsense.

Well, faced with an investigation against him, it's not like the alternative - a criminal record and no job - was appealing.
The policeman done nothing wrong. It is a natural reaction to hit someone in the situation he was in.
Reply 8
Original post by King Kebab
The policeman done nothing wrong. It is a natural reaction to hit someone in the situation he was in.

You could say that about hundreds of other scenarios and people would still find room to disagree. While it may be natural for you, many probably wouldn't resort to violence, especially someone of the law.
Reply 9
It's not the place of a policeman to punch someone in the face. Even if the person they're trying to arrest is violent they should focus on restraining the person, not attacking them. Having said that, in the heat of the moment it would be almost instinctive to 'get even' on someone for attacking you.
Original post by Kiss
You could say that about hundreds of other scenarios and people would still find room to disagree. While it may be natural for you, many probably wouldn't resort to violence, especially someone of the law.

Maybe. I must confess that I would have struggled to control the urge to hit someone if they spat in my face.
Reply 11
I say fair play to him.
No one has any respect for police officers anymore. I think they should be able to react more strongly to abusive behaviour such as spitting. You should see how the young kids behave towards them these days, they aren't afraid of them at all.
I think police officers should be feared enough that people don't spit in their face, when it comes to anti-social behaviour, force should be allowed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by King Kebab
Maybe. I must confess that I would have struggled to control the urge to hit someone if they spat in my face.

Well I probably would as well.

Well he did. He didn't put Mr Uba at risk of infection by spitting in his mouth, face or eye.

There was a time when the police could've given somebody like that a real shoeing and nothing would've been said.

I want my country back.
Reply 14

He did only hit him twice :tongue: I don't think the 'enforcers should abide by the law' argument holds on its own; after all, arrest is kidnap if they aren't cops.
Original post by L i b
Legally, it wouldn't make much of a difference to his position though. Whether it's understandable or not, there wouldn't be much choice if he admitted it other than to convict him of a crime and sack him.

I agree though, a bit of a backhand over that sort of thing is not inherently unreasonable. Still, I suppose we expect higher standards of our police who are, after all, charged with the care of people who they detain.

Well, faced with an investigation against him, it's not like the alternative - a criminal record and no job - was appealing.
True, but then I guess I'd look at the regulations the cops are made to follow that made him feel he had to deny it. To me, that could be mitigation enough to not even care that he tried to lie.

Something else has occurred to me though, his loss of temper could indicate him being at risk of letting down his team if in a dangerous situation like the riots a couple of years back. That does need checking out, but otherwise I'm okay with him punching the spitter.

Original post by Manitude
It's not the place of a policeman to punch someone in the face. Even if the person they're trying to arrest is violent they should focus on restraining the person, not attacking them. Having said that, in the heat of the moment it would be almost instinctive to 'get even' on someone for attacking you.

Uba was restrained (presumably, as Scarlett needed to open the door to get at him), yet still spat. And if he thinks cops will be scared of being punished, he'd spit at them again. I'm pretty sure here that a threat of possible punishment in the form of a slightly longer incarceration wouldn't deter the guy (it certainly didn't in this case), yet the fear of instinctive retaliation would.

Original post by pandabird
I say fair play to him.
No one has any respect for police officers anymore. I think they should be able to react more strongly to abusive behaviour such as spitting. You should see how the young kids behave towards them these days, they aren't afraid of them at all.
I think police officers should be feared enough that people don't spit in their face, when it comes to anti-social behaviour, force should be allowed.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with living in a society where people who spit on others get punched. The problem is the spitting, not the defending of one's dignity.
Lol, it's just pathetic really isn't it? Soon, Police will literally have to bow down to thugs to get them in the back of their car/van. So, he bloody punched someone. The criminal showed no respect to the policeman, so why should the policeman treat him with any respect? Spitting is the lowest of the low for me.
Reply 16
He shouldn't have done it but I think most other people would have reacted the same way. Like John Prescott punching his egger, it's like an impulse, but you perhaps should know how to restrain yourself if you're a politician or policeman.
Reply 17
Original post by xbethany
He shouldn't have done it but I think most other people would have reacted the same way. Like John Prescott punching his egger, it's like an impulse, but you perhaps should know how to restrain yourself if you're a politician or policeman.

What is the harm to society if cops (or politicians or civilians) punch people who spit on them?
Even though the criminal deserved it, I don't think it is acceptable for a LEO to punch a suspect in the face. IAG would be over him in ANY police department in the USA/Australia/UK/Canada etc. Not just here.
Shows the completely backwards law system in this country. Scumbag spits in a face, doesn't get **** for it. What a complete joke. All you liberals above want to get a grasp on life. I'd have punched him back. ****ing scumbag.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending