The Student Room Group

Do you think you've made the right choices in life?

Apologies for the gloomy theme.

I've been thinking lately about all the directions my life could've took and whether I'd change anything if I could go back in time.

For the most part, I think I have made successful choices and the opportunities I have been given are amazing but I do not think I have made the happiest choices. I think if I pursued another career (I'm not sure what) and another path, I might have been happier.

Your thoughts? Do you think you made the "right" choice in say, university/job/degree subject/relationship/friendships etc?
I wish I went into performing arts rather than sciences. That is all.
In general, yes. There would probably be only one thing I would re-do.
Reply 3
I suppose I wish I'd kept doing Taekwondo to get my black belt. I was only 2 away.
Reply 4
Original post by JindleBrey
I wish I went into performing arts rather than sciences. That is all.

May I ask why? I am doing a PhD in molecular biology and having a few doubts about it. It takes so long to establish a career in science and it's a lonely road to take.

All my friends are have jobs and cars, some have gone travelling and others are married with children. I'm stuck chasing a dream I chose when I was a teenager and too far in to back out easily.

I'm lucky to have my position and know I shouldn't complain but I can't help feeling that I would be happier if I aimed lower.
Reply 5
Sooo want to be 4 years old again :daydreaming: Regret wishing my life away at that age.
Reply 6
I think because i'm young still (I'm about to turn 16) i've made a decision to always follow my instincts and the things I want... I don't want to look back and regret important things I messed up.
Reply 7
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Sooo want to be 4 years old again :daydreaming: Regret wishing my life away at that age.

Exactly! When you are a child all you want is to grow up and then you grow up and realise it's not as great as it seemed.

What I wouldn't give to be a kid again...
Reply 8
Original post by SkinnyKat
Exactly! When you are a child all you want is to grow up and then you grow up and realise it's not as great as it seemed.

What I wouldn't give to be a kid again...

:cry: I know the feeling
Reply 9
Apologies for the gloomy theme.

I've been thinking lately about all the directions my life could've took and whether I'd change anything if I could go back in time.

For the most part, I think I have made successful choices and the opportunities I have been given are amazing but I do not think I have made the happiest choices. I think if I pursued another career (I'm not sure what) and another path, I might have been happier.

Your thoughts? Do you think you made the "right" choice in say, university/job/degree subject/relationship/friendships etc?

Some choices were right, some were wrong.
I learnt from the wrongs and researched why the right ones went right.
Remeber, "its not a mistake to commit an error but not learning from the error is"
There are some things in my past that sometimes I feel ashamed about. Although when you look it rationally, I have no reason to feel ashamed and deep down, I don't really regret anything... I've suffered lots of mental problems and got in with the wrong crowd which didn't help, but in the end I made the right decision to leave those so-called friends behind and build on my confidence. Right now I'm loving life. It isn't perfect, but I've found lots of new interests and things to be excited about :biggrin:

And as for you, I don't think it's too late to change your mind. If you have a think about possibilites of what you could do, try things out and do lots of research, then you may find a suitable career. And that may mean you have to do a couple of years at university. Don't waste your life! Do something that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning!
May I ask why? I am doing a PhD in molecular biology and having a few doubts about it. It takes so long to establish a career in science and it's a lonely road to take.

All my friends are have jobs and cars, some have gone travelling and others are married with children. I'm stuck chasing a dream I chose when I was a teenager and too far in to back out easily.

I'm lucky to have my position and know I shouldn't complain but I can't help feeling that I would be happier if I aimed lower.

I don't know why. When I picked GCSEs and A-levels I loved science (not anymore). But I have a true passion for music. Wish I could change my subjects
Reply 12
I shouldn't have stopped playing Cricket, I played for the best club in the city and probably county and stopped playing for silly reasons, if I'd carried on I'd probably be playing at a good level now. The same with Tennis, I stopped playing not long after getting into the County squad and since playing again people I always used to thrash can beat me. School wise I regret not working for my GCSE's, AS's and A2's, I just didn't learn my lesson tbh.
Lol... No. :getmecoat:
Reply 14
i wish i could go back to this time 4 years ago (when i began my GCSEs) and study harder because then i'd be alot happier now. and if i could go back to the same time i'd stand up for myself more because i used to be too nice and let people walk all over me.

i also wish i could go back to this time 2 years ago and not stay on at my school for sixth form because my last two years there were shxt and that definitely affected my ability to get good grades.

someone needs to invent a time machine lol.
Most definitely, my choices have made me the person I am today. I am confident my life is only going to get better and better from this day forth.
I've made the decision to follow the only thing I've ever really loved doing.

I just hope it goes well.

As for my life up to this point, if I could change it, I'd change a couple of things. Mainly stupid things I've accidentally said. But nothing major.
The grass is always greener.
Absolutely.

Quick Reply

Latest