The Student Room Group

Hello Free Weights

I started my fitness journey mid-June and figured that the best way to motivate myself and be accountable was to have a personal trainer. I really like my personal trainer and have been weight training with her twice a week for 12 weeks now.

In the first 6 weeks I lost 4kg, 2% body fat, and 14cm in total so hopefully I've made more progress in the last 6 weeks since.

I'm so glad that I've been introduced to weight training and am finding it a lot more enjoyable than cardio, but understand that cardio is also beneficial.

I'm going to use this blog to track my progress (or lack of sometimes) during gym sessions, and maybe look back on this at some point and see how far I've come. This is going to be so weird for me as I hardly post on the forums as it is so it'll be interesting to see how I find doing this regularly.

My Goals

Do an extra gym session a week by myself so that I'm weight training 3 times a week

Get to 25% body fat, 20% would be ideal but I'll start with a smaller goal first

Eventually be fit enough to do something like Tough Mudder

Lose enough weight and be brave enough to try rowing outdoors

Scroll to see replies

What was your original weight/bodyfat?

Subbed:smile:
Reply 2
My routine for the last few weeks has consisted of:

Superset (I think this is the correct term?) 1
Alternating between:

Bench Press 3x12 - currently on 8kg

Deadlifts 3x12 - currently on 25kg

Superset 2
Alternating between:

Lat pulldowns 3x12 - 35kg

Split lunges 3x12 - holding a 1kg plate (don't laugh! lol)

Incline push ups 3x12

Superset 3
Alternating between:

Kneeling Rows - 3x12 - I can't remember what weight

Russian Twists - 3x12 - I think 8kg

Kettlebell Swings - 3x12 - 12kg

(Sometimes burpees, but boy do I hate them)
Reply 3
So my trainer is away for 2 weeks so I set myself the goal of doing 6 sessions by myself. I did 2 last week so I have another four this week.

Yesterday wasn't great. I arrived at the gym 40 minutes before they closed so didn't work out for an hour as usual. I figured even 30 minutes at the gym would be better than nothing so I'm happy that I went at least.

I did:

Bench Press 3x12 - 8kg (I have been stuck on this same weight for weeks and it's so annyoing considering that I was progressing really well. I started at 2.5kg the first week)

Deadlifts 3x12 - 25kg

Lat pulldowns 2x7 - 35kg and 1x8 -35kg. (I'm struggling this this too. I should be doing 12 reps but am struggling and have been stuck on this weight for at least 3 weeks. I usually manage a higher rep when my PT is around so maybe it's mental?)

Split lunges 2x12 - holding a 2kg dumbell

Incline push ups 2x8

Reply 4
Original post by pinda.college
What was your original weight/bodyfat?

Subbed:smile:

I was 14 stone and 7lbs (I think). It doesn't mean much to me in stone but it would horrify me in kg so I haven't been brave enough to convert it lol

I don't know what my original bodyfat was as my PT didn't tell me and I certainly don't want to know until I reach 25%. From the pictures I've seen online I'm probably in the 30-35% range
No squats? :hmmm:
Sack your trainer :tongue:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Have you considered lower reps, heavier weights? For something like 5x5 rather than 3x12? You'll probably surprise yourself at how much you can lift, especially in deadlift. Have a look at the beginning of my blog ("olympic weightlifting blog") if you want to know how I started out. I had pretty similar stats to you :h:
Reply 7
Just got back from the gym. I managed to do my full workout today.
- I seem to be improving a bit on the bench press as I found it easier than I did on Monday.
- Plus I've worked out why I was struggling so much with the lat pulldown on Monday - I was lifting 40kg instead of the normal 35kg. When adjusting the weight I managed to miss out the 5kg. Gosh so silly! However, my lat pulldown feels easier than it did last week too so I'm making a bit of progress.
Reply 8
Original post by Nvmthename
No squats? :hmmm:
Sack your trainer :tongue:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did do squats for the first 6 weeks but then the routine changed.
I definitely want to bring them back though. The pictures on the 'Yeah, She Squats' page are such good motivation
Reply 9
Original post by Piggsil
Have you considered lower reps, heavier weights? For something like 5x5 rather than 3x12? You'll probably surprise yourself at how much you can lift, especially in deadlift. Have a look at the beginning of my blog ("olympic weightlifting blog") if you want to know how I started out. I had pretty similar stats to you :h:

Hey, thank you. Yep I've looked at workouts like that and was really interested in Stronglifts 5x5 although I think I'd get bored doing the same routine for months.
I had planned to ask my trainer to switch me to a 5x5 routine once my form was good, but when I read up online about the differences between 3x12 and 5x5 it seems that newbies still see results on both. So I'm unsure of the benefits of a 5x5 programme other than being able to lift heavier. Do you know what the differences are please?

I am going to check out your blog now
Original post by mellow_b
I did do squats for the first 6 weeks but then the routine changed.
I definitely want to bring them back though. The pictures on the 'Yeah, She Squats' page are such good motivation

Everyone loves a girl who squats :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hey, thank you. Yep I've looked at workouts like that and was really interested in Stronglifts 5x5 although I think I'd get bored doing the same routine for months.
I had planned to ask my trainer to switch me to a 5x5 routine once my form was good, but when I read up online about the differences between 3x12 and 5x5 it seems that newbies still see results on both. So I'm unsure of the benefits of a 5x5 programme other than being able to lift heavier. Do you know what the differences are please?

I am going to check out your blog now

Well, it obvioulsy depends on what your goals are, but it will be easier to add weight when doing fewer reps per set (on a 5x5 routine you are actually doing more reps than a 3x12). You will therefore get stronger more quickly. I personally found that more motivating. My aim wasn't to build muscle (hypertrophy), but to see how much I could lift. You of course build muscle in the process and more muscle = more calories burned = leaner :smile:
Reply 12
So I only went to the gym four times, so I'm disappointed that I didn't meet my goal of going six times. But this is a new week so i'm aiming for 3 gym sessions this week.

My trainer is back this week so I might ask her if I can start doing a high weights, low rep programme and see what kind of results I get.

I've decided to step up my cardio a bit so I'm going to test the 'Zombies, Run' 5k app and see if I like it. I did the first workout today on the treadmill and only stopped once. The only annoying thing was that I had to change the speed manually. Next time I go I'm going to try to figure out how to program it so that it does it automatically.
Reply 13
Last week was pretty good. I finally made progress with my bench press and lat pulldowns.

I was measured yesterday, and after 12 weeks my measurements are:

SW: 93.7kg

CW: 88.8kg

Starting BF: 38%

Current BF: 34%

I've lost 18cm in total.

My eating over the past 6 weeks hasn't been as good as it was in the first 6 weeks so that probably explains why I haven't lost as much in cm as I would have liked.

I've got another 2 weeks with my PT, so I'm looking at what program I want to do next. I'm currently leaning towards NROL4W by Alwyn Cosgrove.
Reply 14
Your doing great and your PI seems like he has stuck you on a good program, to help maybe have a day of walking/light jogging either at the gym or the park to build stamina and thus also helping burn calories.
Reply 15
My deadlift and bench press have improved this week. I'm on 35kg for deadlifts and 20kg for the bench press. Yay!

Original post by KingGym
Your doing great and your PI seems like he has stuck you on a good program, to help maybe have a day of walking/light jogging either at the gym or the park to build stamina and thus also helping burn calories.

Thank you. I find jogging really boring so I'm trying to do HIIT instead to make it a bit more interesting.
Subbed, hope its going well.
Reply 17
I worked out in the weights room today rather than the ladies gym. Boy was it intimidating lol. It's definitely going to take some getting used to.

I made a bit more progress this week:

Deadlifts - 45kg

Bench Press - 25kg

Squats - 35kg (Hopefully I'll get used to doing this without the pad on my back soon)

I've moved on from the lat pulldown machine to the assisted pulldown machine. I actually enjoy this. It might take over soon from deadlifts as my favourite exercise.

I'm still a long way from doing an unassisted bodyweight pull down. Maybe I'll be strong enough in a year.
Reply 18
I worked out in the weights room today rather than the ladies gym. Boy was it intimidating lol. It's definitely going to take some getting used to.

I made a bit more progress this week:

Deadlifts - 45kg

Bench Press - 25kg

Squats - 35kg (Hopefully I'll get used to doing this without the pad on my back soon)

I've moved on from the lat pulldown machine to the assisted pulldown machine. I actually enjoy this. It might take over soon from deadlifts as my favourite exercise.

I'm still a long way from doing an unassisted bodyweight pull down. Maybe I'll be strong enough in a year.

please tell me you dont do this in 1 workout and what are your sets/what other things do you do
Reply 19
I love your motivation and progress! Just keep at it and you will reach your goals!

Have you considered a low carb meal plan, its not a diet but it does wonders, i personally lost 2.5 stone over the past two years along with weight training and Brazilian JiuJitsu.

Brazilian JiuJitsu is an addictive martial art and will definitly give you a great hobby, and help with your fitness levels enabling you to do challenges such as Tough Mudder.

Eating right does a lot more than help you lose weight, if your interested in a good meal plan just give me a message would love to help out :smile:

(ActiveIQ qualified Fitness Instrctor)

Quick Reply

Latest