The Student Room Group

Anyone dislike any of their AS-levels already?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I wouldn't think it's a problem, in my physics class somebody switched out after the first lesson (and we didn't even do any physics that lesson!), so just talk to your sixth form's senior team and they should be happy to help you try and switch subjects. I would advise sticking with it for a week or so, though, just purely based on the fact that you might end up liking it later, and it will help you get a feel for it.
Reply 21
Original post by TSweety
Does anyone know the difference between AS Economics and AS Business ??

AFAIK, AS Economics is very similar to GCSE Economics, which is generally about microeconomics and macroeconomics, so the fundamentals of market forces, how markets interact in an economy and how economies interact globally. I don't know much about Business, but from what I heard at GCSE it was a lot of the more entrepreneurial side of economics, as in it is more vocational and less academic or theoretical. It was apparently more like how to set up a business, how businesses work etc. rather than an overview of how economics works.
Well i have only had three out of my four choices. I've taken Biology, chemistry, english lit and history. I haven't had history yet. Chemistry seems like its going to be hard but I'm glad I've chosen it, Biology seems alright but english lit seems a bit boring! :/ I don't know whether its because we were doing poetry which I don't enjoy but I hope the whole course isn't going to be like this! Its weird because english was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE.
Reply 23
Spanish...The amount of individual work I'm going to have to put in to do well is enormous. I'm kind of getting the feeling that the GCSE really doesn't prepare you at all for A Level, even if you're an A*/A student. I'm already feeling like I've forgotten everything.
I absolutely detested maths, but unfortunately my Unis wanted me to do it to get into chemistry so I had to grit my teeth and bear it for 2 years.
AFM AS is a bit annoying.
Reply 26
I'm doing History,Geography,Philosophy and Economics for AS ..and i'm thinking of dropping AS Economics and do business or sociology instead...Would sociology or business be useful for a law degree?
Reply 27
Original post by shan2097
AFAIK, AS Economics is very similar to GCSE Economics, which is generally about microeconomics and macroeconomics, so the fundamentals of market forces, how markets interact in an economy and how economies interact globally. I don't know much about Business, but from what I heard at GCSE it was a lot of the more entrepreneurial side of economics, as in it is more vocational and less academic or theoretical. It was apparently more like how to set up a business, how businesses work etc. rather than an overview of how economics works.

oh i see ..
thanks for ur help though :smile:
Reply 28
If you really can't stand it, not just the teaching or particular section but the subject as a whole, then talk to your tutor, teacher, or head of year about changing. Give it at least a week or two, and also look through the text book in your own time to see if any of the other units are more interesting.

I ended up choosing Classics when the option I'd first chosen was undersubscribed. The induction day was interesting but the lessons were completely different when I started. The literature section was tolerable but I found the ancient history/politics mind numbingly boring and it was (quite literally) Greek to me. I knew I absolutely couldn't study this all year, and I hadn't even done history for GCSE so not sure why they recommended it.

Anyway I ended up switching to Chemistry as it was one of only a few subjects that would fit in with my timetable. I expected to drop it after the first year but actually really enjoyed it, even more so at A2. Now I'm going to be studying Chemical Engineering at Bath, starting in a couple of weeks.

So basically, to anyone considering changing subject, give it a fair chance and don't take the decision lightly, but also go with your gut instinct. :smile:
Reply 29
Well I'm doing 3 AS Levels and 1 BTEC... Haven't had any of my AS level subjects yet but I had Business and it was really good :smile:
Reply 30
I'd just say if you really don't like it and feel in your gut that you do not want to do it, switch courses. I started AS last week and am doing English Lit, Biology, Art and English Language. I have already swapped graphics for art and tomorrow I am changing to english language (from history). This is down to me having a few lessons in graphics and history and thinking oh my god, I cant do this, I don't want to do this... My college lets you switch courses in the first few weeks, and that's great! I don't know what I want to do at uni so for me, I've tried to keep my options open a bit; an art, a science and english lit and lang.
Original post by Katie97
I hate psychology and have only had it for 2 hours :sleep::shot:

Classic AS level mistake, doing a subject you hate will be extremely hard in the long run. Stick with it a bit, but if you still don't like it, DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT.
Reply 32
we did maths in the first lesson and i found it so difficult, then they said to do further maths which means i can't do another subject i actually like so atm i only like one of my subjects haha. Hope it gets better for you.
Reply 33
Better than what my mate did.... After 1 week, he transferred 3/4 of his subjects xDD

Good thing he did though, he got a very respectable AABC in the AS exams :P
Reply 34
About a year ago I hated computer science however I stuck with it because of some clash and didn't know what else to pick and got a C in it :frown:.
I've had 2 hours of Business Studies and I immediately swapped it with Italian. It was a load of crap about how to set up a business and all that "The Apprentice" kind of stuff, not for me.
Biology and Chemistry are all good, great teachers and I just need to study and keep up with it.
If you don't like it, don't keep it because then you're going to be stuck with it and probably will have problems with it.
Reply 36
Yes! Im taking English Literature, History/Maths, Media and Psychology and I've only had 2 hours of each subject and I already want to drop everything.. - Hopefully things will improve soon :frown: good luck!
Reply 37
Well now I've had 2 lessons of English Lit and it's so boring... But at the same time I want to do a "main" subject so I'll stick with it ;o
I wouldn't say I dislike psychology just yet but we started with research methods and it is SO BORING!!
Flicking through the book it seems interesting but the summer work was to take notes on research methods which was 50 pages!
But of all my subjects it has to be the one I like the least which is surprising! BUT it's too early to say too much...though people have already started dropping out.
Original post by kalios
Spanish...The amount of individual work I'm going to have to put in to do well is enormous. I'm kind of getting the feeling that the GCSE really doesn't prepare you at all for A Level, even if you're an A*/A student. I'm already feeling like I've forgotten everything.

I feel like this. I got an A* in GCSE Spanish but I am already struggling after 1 lesson. Most people in my class seem to be way ahead of me (a lot of them are native speakers, or have lived in Spain, or have Spanish parents) and I didn't understand most of what the teacher said and had to copy down most of the answers off people on my table. We are not allowed to change subjects in the first week, we have to wait until next week, so I will have to see how it goes. I don't know what else I would take if I did drop it though.

Quick Reply

Latest