The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 1 Question 5

Heyyy
I have an end of year test on tuesday and desperately need help on the creative writing this is a practice one that i did but please can you all give me feedback on how to make this a 40mark answer
the picture used was https://johntomsett.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/paper-exemplar.png and i chose the description task bc i cant write a story for the life of me
PLEASE HELP ME ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED SO MUCH

Rows of colourful houses, a cheerful seaside town, a scenic train along the coast. Sounds like the perfect getaway in an idyllic location, and it was.
Until the flood came.
The waves, which were so peaceful yesterday lapping against the shore, were filled with such unprecedented rage and hatred as they hurled themselves at the sea wall. The defences put in place by the council hadn’t been maintained so the waves were able to easily leap over them and over the oncoming train. The train was always full of hopeful tourists armed with their cameras with their noses pressed up against the glass watching the ocean.
Today the weather had taken a turn for the worse and seemed intent on destroying as much as possible. The waves turned them from a shimmery blue to foamy white. The waves burst through the cracks in the wall and towered over the wall, the train, the people. Shrieks were instantly heard as loud as an explosion and all of a sudden there was chaos. Tourists running for their lives, locals running to safety, train passengers stuck inside the carriages. The carriages suddenly seemed too small for the number of people panicking inside. The driver was trying to phone for help when the connection was lost due to the telephone mast surrendering itself to the wrath of the waves.
From further inland the local news station was flooded with reports of a burst seawall and stranded train full of tourists. The already disliked council would surely be blamed for the neglected coastline protection that failed to protect the coastline - the reporters could already see the headlines across the country.
Back at the scene, there were houses for all the colours of the rainbow which now seemed like it was mocking the disastrous flood. The weather had appropriately matched the sea in transforming into a menacing grey looming over the small coastal town.
Reply 1
Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I have an end of year test on tuesday and desperately need help on the creative writing this is a practice one that i did but please can you all give me feedback on how to make this a 40mark answer
the picture used was https://johntomsett.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/paper-exemplar.png and i chose the description task bc i cant write a story for the life of me
PLEASE HELP ME ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED SO MUCH

Rows of colourful houses, a cheerful seaside town, a scenic train along the coast. Sounds like the perfect getaway in an idyllic location, and it was.
Until the flood came.
The waves, which were so peaceful yesterday lapping against the shore, were filled with such unprecedented rage and hatred as they hurled themselves at the sea wall. The defences put in place by the council hadn’t been maintained so the waves were able to easily leap over them and over the oncoming train. The train was always full of hopeful tourists armed with their cameras with their noses pressed up against the glass watching the ocean.
Today the weather had taken a turn for the worse and seemed intent on destroying as much as possible. The waves turned them from a shimmery blue to foamy white. The waves burst through the cracks in the wall and towered over the wall, the train, the people. Shrieks were instantly heard as loud as an explosion and all of a sudden there was chaos. Tourists running for their lives, locals running to safety, train passengers stuck inside the carriages. The carriages suddenly seemed too small for the number of people panicking inside. The driver was trying to phone for help when the connection was lost due to the telephone mast surrendering itself to the wrath of the waves.
From further inland the local news station was flooded with reports of a burst seawall and stranded train full of tourists. The already disliked council would surely be blamed for the neglected coastline protection that failed to protect the coastline - the reporters could already see the headlines across the country.
Back at the scene, there were houses for all the colours of the rainbow which now seemed like it was mocking the disastrous flood. The weather had appropriately matched the sea in transforming into a menacing grey looming over the small coastal town.

ik i’m not the BEST person to give advice on descriptive pieces (i can’t write them myself lol) but ur piece seems rly rly good,,,, from advice i got app u need to use more punctuation like semi-colons. i’d suggest u to also use more “show don’t tell” which would help to bump up ur piece to a level 4 [ex. the houses were like the remnants of a rainbow, shortly after rain. it was a breezy seaside town full of joy. a scenic train to complete the picture; it was really a dreamy paradise; the gateway to heaven (THIS SOUNDS SO BAD OMG)] butttt this is rly nice to read <333333
Reply 2
Original post by mzzz_k
ik i’m not the BEST person to give advice on descriptive pieces (i can’t write them myself lol) but ur piece seems rly rly good,,,, from advice i got app u need to use more punctuation like semi-colons. i’d suggest u to also use more “show don’t tell” which would help to bump up ur piece to a level 4 [ex. the houses were like the remnants of a rainbow, shortly after rain. it was a breezy seaside town full of joy. a scenic train to complete the picture; it was really a dreamy paradise; the gateway to heaven (THIS SOUNDS SO BAD OMG)] butttt this is rly nice to read <333333

hey do you know how much we need to acc write for this task x
Reply 3
does anyone know if we can incorporate the picture at any point in our story if we get a task to write a story suggested by the picture, or if it must begin with the picture? thanks
Reply 4
Original post by rmoyo
hey do you know how much we need to acc write for this task x
nah but i heard ppl who write literally 2 paras can get lyk grade 9s n ones who write berr pages get grade 4s it jus depends on the quality of ur writing but 3 decent paras max is enough <3
Reply 5
Original post by tfz17
does anyone know if we can incorporate the picture at any point in our story if we get a task to write a story suggested by the picture, or if it must begin with the picture? thanks
u can do wtv is easier for u, it doesn't rly hv to begin w the pic but using it makes it sm easier for both descriptive n story writing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending