The Student Room Group

is it worth doing engineering?

hi,
i have quite a lot of questions about doing engineering! I'm thinking about applying to do engineering but its quite hard to chose what to do with the rest of my life, if i don't like engineering and i go to do it at uni i would be pretty screwed!
I was wondering how much time does engineering take up (lecture and study time)? Iv been told you have around 24 hours a week without study time! Do you find you have a good amount of time to be with your friends and enjoy a sport or hobby? Another problem is there are pretty much no girls that do engineering :frown:, do you guys have any problems meeting girls? The thing is i don't really enjoy going out clubbing! I understand that there is a lot of lab work also, whats it like? I'm not very good at lab work in physics i got a C and a B in my labs but my theory pulled me up to an A over all. I'm just not good at all that percentage error stuff. Is the lab work similar to physics or completely different and if so how? Did you find engineering fun and stimulating when you did it? or was it a drag each day? The other thing is after you've finished doing an engineering degree is it a 9-5 job or is there loads of over time?
I was so set on doing engineering in-till i went to the surrey open day :frown:, it completely put me off.
does anyone know of any good degrees to do that involve maths, other then a straight maths degree?
thanks for taking the time to read this :smile:
You seem work shy. Why not just sit at home?
I don't know what a girl is
I'm in a position where I’m taking on studying engineering for the first time because I’m fed up of doing nothing in a boring desk job, I like the idea of designing, building, testing and perfecting something, it sounds fun and incredibly satisfying where you can focus and don't get distracted. There is a shortage of engineers in this country so it would be a wise career choice that could be massively profitable for you if you put the in the work and have a creative mind.
Reply 4
The bloke who lives next door but one to my parents studied finance, and is bored tit-less by it daily, being an engineer at heart.

He 'resolved' this by doing short spells of highly paid financial consultancy, before sacking it of and messing about with boats/tractors/welders until the money runs out, and he goes the cycle again, and has found a suitable tollerance wife who can cope with that! That's a very simplistic and harsh analysis of what I have seen and read between the lines. But even that shows that even if you 'do the wrong thing' life continues. - My uncle did Chemistry, hated, didnt do great, and then worked in production/polymer engineering all his life. Obviously as an engineer, coming for a family with a history of of engineers, I see and become freinds with engineering type people. But then again, you can do finance with an engineer degree much better than you can do engineering with a finance degree.

Engineering is mainly blokes, yes, if you do it, you will suck it up and get on with life.
After far as I can tell, and my experience goes, relationships rarely start from a night clubbing.

Daniel
I can't help with the majority of your question but in regards to meeting girls, there's always societies or Internet.

and for a maths based degree, what about comp sci?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest