Stirling applicants 2014??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calum10
Amy you are Stair 4, floor 8, Flat 1.

im sure that's how it works.

Good to know, thanks mate :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Anyone here going to be doing International Politics? Stirling is my backup if I don't get into Aberdeen, but I kinda hope I don't get into Aberdeen in a way haha - Stirling is more appealing to me.
Original post by amysx
I am flat 3/4/1
Not too sure what the numbers mean but.

Hey guys! I will be studying English . I got an offer for room 1 flat 3/4/1 Fraser. Does that mean 1st room 3rd floor or..? Not sure why we got the same room Amy... So strange. :s-smilie:
3 is your stair number.
4 is your floor number.
1 is your flat number.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1064
Original post by alexmelidal
Hey guys! I will be studying English . I got an offer for room 1 flat 3/4/1 Fraser. Does that mean 1st room 3rd floor or..? Not sure why we got the same room Amy... So strange. :s-smilie:

I am room 4
Original post by amysx
I am room 4

Ah well that explains it then ! :biggrin:
Hi, my son is hoping to attend Stirling in September. As he is waiting for A level grades, he can't apply for accommodation til after 14th August. Does he (or we) have to pay a deposit when applying and if so how much.

Thanks, just like to be prepared
Original post by sam1212
Hi, my son is hoping to attend Stirling in September. As he is waiting for A level grades, he can't apply for accommodation til after 14th August. Does he (or we) have to pay a deposit when applying and if so how much.

Thanks, just like to be prepared

Hi Sam,

No there is no deposit needed. However, when you have accepted the accommodation, you are entering a binding contract, as you probably already know.
Please be aware that the accommodation is filling up fast. Willow, Beech, Andrew Stewart Halls are completely full. So, no ensuites will be left, unfortunately. Geddes hall is almost full also, with only the top floor left, which might be full by the time your son applies. Please make sure your son is aware that there is a chance he might not be able to get on campus accommodation, however, Stirling will help get off campus accommodation, so he won't be left. Accommodation closes on the 25th of August, after that time, the university are under no obligation to provide accommodation.
Finally, don't do what I done and assume that if the accommodation is £92 a week, it will be £324 a month. The price works by taking the price per week and multiplying it by the number of weeks the contract runs (37 weeks) then dividing that by the number of payments you will be paying it over (usually 8 payments).
for example £92 x 37 weeks = £3404 / 8 payments = £425. That caught me out at the start.

I am the admin of a Facebook group which has over 300 people who are going into first year uni at Stirling, he is more than welcome to join and meet the people he will be spending the next few years with. If he does a Facebook search for Stirling University Freshers 2014/2015 he will find us. There are also people in the group who are going into 2nd year and members of the Freshers team at the Uni who deal with making us newbies settle in okay, so there is plenty of help there is he needs it. Anyone is welcome in.

I hope I have helped a little,
Calum
Thanks Calum. The accommodation he is interested in still has vacancies. Fingers crossed.

Any idea how soon the email will be sent that has his log in info to allow him to apply?
No problem.

When he has met the conditions of his offer, it will track on UCAS, if it happens before a Friday, he should recieve a welcome email from the University the next day. If UCAS tracks on a Friday, usually he will get the welcome email the next worling day, which would be the following Monday.
When he gets the welcome email, it will contain his Student ID number and information on how to log on to his University portal. Once he logs on for the first time, it should be 24 hours from then that he will be able to apply for accommodation.
The accommodation is usually allocated and a room offered around 24-48 hours later. For some people they have recieved an offer on the same day they have applied, I reckon with the huge amount of applications around August time, it would be at least 24 hours after applying.

Its none of my business, however, there is a Santander bank on Campus and if your son opens up a student account, he will get a £1,500 overdraft(after £500 is in the account) and recieve a free rail card which gets him 1/3rd off rail travel all over the UK. If he is coming from England, this might be useful for trips home and would save some money, however, like I said, that's a personal matter and Im only mentioning it on the off chance that it may be some help.

If you need any more help, feel free to direct message me.
Calum
Original post by Calum10
Hi Sam,

No there is no deposit needed. However, when you have accepted the accommodation, you are entering a binding contract, as you probably already know.
Please be aware that the accommodation is filling up fast. Willow, Beech, Andrew Stewart Halls are completely full. So, no ensuites will be left, unfortunately. Geddes hall is almost full also, with only the top floor left, which might be full by the time your son applies. Please make sure your son is aware that there is a chance he might not be able to get on campus accommodation, however, Stirling will help get off campus accommodation, so he won't be left. Accommodation closes on the 25th of August, after that time, the university are under no obligation to provide accommodation.
Finally, don't do what I done and assume that if the accommodation is £92 a week, it will be £324 a month. The price works by taking the price per week and multiplying it by the number of weeks the contract runs (37 weeks) then dividing that by the number of payments you will be paying it over (usually 8 payments).
for example £92 x 37 weeks = £3404 / 8 payments = £425. That caught me out at the start.

I am the admin of a Facebook group which has over 300 people who are going into first year uni at Stirling, he is more than welcome to join and meet the people he will be spending the next few years with. If he does a Facebook search for Stirling University Freshers 2014/2015 he will find us. There are also people in the group who are going into 2nd year and members of the Freshers team at the Uni who deal with making us newbies settle in okay, so there is plenty of help there is he needs it. Anyone is welcome in.

I hope I have helped a little,
Calum

Hi, I'm currently waiting for my A-level results and so I haven't been able to apply for accommodation. I'm a little worried that I won't get a place in any accommodation as you have said previously that everything is filling up and that people may have to start getting accommodation off campus? I just thought every first year was guaranteed accommodation on campus. I know you don't work for the university or anything, but I'm just worried that because I'm coming from England (so I won't be able to apply for accommodation until August 14th) that I'll miss out on accommodation on campus.

Sorry, after reading that I'm a little bit confused and worried. I may have read it wrong so please could you shed some light on it?

Thanks, Amber
Original post by amberjay
Hi, I'm currently waiting for my A-level results and so I haven't been able to apply for accommodation. I'm a little worried that I won't get a place in any accommodation as you have said previously that everything is filling up and that people may have to start getting accommodation off campus? I just thought every first year was guaranteed accommodation on campus. I know you don't work for the university or anything, but I'm just worried that because I'm coming from England (so I won't be able to apply for accommodation until August 14th) that I'll miss out on accommodation on campus.

Sorry, after reading that I'm a little bit confused and worried. I may have read it wrong so please could you shed some light on it?

Thanks, Amber

Hi Amber,

Sorry, maybe I made it a little confusing. Let me try and explain again.

All first years are guaranteed accommodation as long as their application is received by the 25th of August. Usually, they will have accommodation on campus for most people but if they don't they will provide off campus accommodation. The accommodation is not guaranteed to be on campus if it completely full by the time you complete an application. After the 25th of August, the university have no obligation to provide accommodation for you.

I'm sure there was a lady on the forum a few weeks ago, Karren, who informed us that last year, her son applied for accommodation (also from England) and it was full by the time he applied, so they found him off campus accommodation.

I know the accommodation is filling up quickly, but I think the residential services team hold some rooms back for students coming from England, because they get their results later. However, don't quote me on that as I don't know how many they keep or when they are released for students.

I hope this helps. You will definitely get accommodation, but it might not be your first choice and it might not be on campus - I think if you apply as soon as you get your results, you should get accommodation on campus though. Just gotta get in there quickly!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NinetyOne
Anyone here going to be doing International Politics? Stirling is my backup if I don't get into Aberdeen, but I kinda hope I don't get into Aberdeen in a way haha - Stirling is more appealing to me.

I'm about to start studying Politics at Stirling, which is the same course as International Politics until the end of 2nd year (I think). Really looking forward to it! :smile::smile:
Original post by peppermintbee_
I'm about to start studying Politics at Stirling, which is the same course as International Politics until the end of 2nd year (I think). Really looking forward to it! :smile::smile:

Ah, great! What optional courses are you going to take? I'm thinking sociology and economics.

I just hope there is still some places left at either Frasers or Donnellys. Don't particularly fancy Geddes and I'm nae paying £120+ a week for some of the others..
Ninety One, I think Fraser is filling up fast but I've not spoke to a single person living in Donnelly.
Original post by NinetyOne
Ah, great! What optional courses are you going to take? I'm thinking sociology and economics.

I just hope there is still some places left at either Frasers or Donnellys. Don't particularly fancy Geddes and I'm nae paying £120+ a week for some of the others..

I'm hopefully doing philosophy and religion. I did sociology at college, its a good broad subject and merges well with political theory. :smile::smile:

I guess it all depends on how popular the accomodation is. I've already booked Willow Court. Its really nice but costs practically my entire loan so I'll probably need to get a job in Stirling!
anyone in Geddes court? got room 3/41 and studying accounting & finance.
Don't know how to send my direct debit details though...
Hopefully be attending Stirling to study nursing :smile: get my results on 14th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeckyH3
Hopefully be attending Stirling to study nursing :smile: get my results on 14th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll love it currently studying adult nursing in Stirling!
please tell me someone is doing International Management with Intercultural Studies??

Quick Reply

Latest