The Student Room Group

London is a dystopian hellhole

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr_Vain
I like the Blake picture in your other display pic, a definite all time favourite of mine. What a man he was.

I grew up in the country, I miss it :frown: .

Thanks. He was one of the greatest writers we've ever had.

I spent my early childhood in London but did most of my growing up in the country. It's so much better out here I think.
Go watch Withnail & I 👍
Reply 22
Original post by Ham22
What? People worked before we had this society of consumer drones. What utter trash you vomit.

Please get out of your lefty bubble. You are probably sitting there typing away on a macbook, iphone in the other hand saying how much you hate consumerism. That's the problem with you lot, bunch of bloody hypocrites.

Don't like consumerism? Go live in a cave.
Dafook did I just read?
Reply 24
Ahh, student forums :smile:
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Glasgow is a far more cohesive city than London is.

Almost everyone there, rich and poor, feels strongly Scottish.

Point granted, it's just whenever I've gone the difference in wealth has stood out to me more so than other cities.
Reply 27
Original post by Octohedral
Very well written, by the way. I often agree with this.

However, ironically, I think people with this actually have quite an unrealistic view of what people would be doing otherwise. So you're in a system? Sure, it's not human nature to want to be trapped in a system (and personally I don't think we are trapped), but this isn't productive, it's an impulse.

This system of consumerism is the product of the near eradication (from the UK so far) of war, disease, absolute poverty, famine, and by proximity all the things that came with them that produced 'meaning'. What does it mean to be validated? Half the people in the UK over the last thousand years would give anything to live in the UK today, but as soon as we have the basics of equality and survival we complain about it and go on about 'meaning' whilst happily eating doughnuts and driving a car. [The latter was directed towards Ham22 more, because the OP mentions poverty specifically].

Poverty is very real, but relative poverty will always be real. I don't see how we can do more than give everybody free education, have a benefits system, and have a minimum wage. Apart from kick start the economy and provide more jobs, which can't happen overnight. I know it's easy to say when you're not in poverty, but there has been a lot of progress.

Would you rather be down a salt mine? Watching your tenth child die of typhus? Being hacked to death by members of a rival castle? A 'free' life takes on a glossy view because we don't experience it.

Life is what you make it. Don't wait for someone to give it meaning. You can't have no system - anarchy is fundamentally flawed - but this one is about as good as it's possible to get. I would be very interested to hear an alternative.

One of the best posts I've seen on TSR :hat2:
Reply 29

Haha fair play :yy:

Saw the difference in times posted so thought it'd be someone different.
Reply 30
Agree. I live in London on the outer District in Hornchurch and hate it. The difference in money distribution and poverty and wealth is equal to that of corrupt states like Nigeria. (not the level of poverty, the sheer gap in who has money and who doesnt).

Multiculturalism has failed and ended up making you feel an outsider in certain parts of the city such as east Ham. It's sad, because anyone who voices concerns is instantly a xenophobic islamophobic racist which isn't the case.

Sad times. Can't wait to move to Brighton and live in Sussex for uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Chriswhjay
Agree. I live in London on the outer District in Hornchurch and hate it. The difference in money distribution and poverty and wealth is equal to that of corrupt states like Nigeria. (not the level of poverty, the sheer gap in who has money and who doesnt).

Multiculturalism has failed and ended up making you feel an outsider in certain parts of the city such as east Ham. It's sad, because anyone who voices concerns is instantly a xenophobic islamophobic racist which isn't the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Much of the UK is actually pretty decent to live in, even though I am a bit of a malcontent and like to complain (but that is what makes me British lol). I lived for a few years (when I was a kid) in Cornwall, and it was just a world away. I just get the feeling that so much of the negativity about the country originates from London. To me, it epitomizes what is wrong with the UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Deshi
Haha fair play :yy:

Saw the difference in times posted so thought it'd be someone different.

Ha its fine. PRSOM.
Original post by Sine
Yep. Good example is Pimlico but there are many many more.

Islington as well, and up until the 90s you had Ladbroke grove and notting hill (which were very poor) right next to Chelsea/Knightsbridge.

In fact look back even further. The City of London (as in the square mile) is the place of the old Gentleman's clubs and guilds; a place of fantastic wealth, a centre of commerce and trade, and has been for well over 400 years etc and up until very recent gentrification has always been surrounded by the most deprived areas of London.

You got the old East End to the east of it ie whitechapel, Shoreditch, bethnal green, Brick lane, Aldgate etc ie all the hipster places. Hackney to the north east and to the north Islington which while having gentrified a lot still has some of the highest child poverty in London.

The South as well. Again borough market and London bridge right down to the Elephant have become cool and trendy but used to be areas of real deprivation - proper dockers area.

Extremes of wealth has always been part of London's history but the unfortunate thing is, that thanks to gentrification, families who have lived in the same areas for generations are being forced out. It's happened to most of my family who've had to leave North London for Essex and Herts. The Traditional old Londoners have almost all gone.
Reply 34
Original post by Chriswhjay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find Hornchurch and Upminster strange little places. It's full of diverse people, but as an 'ethnic minority' I feel that I stick out more than I would like. There are some lovely places, some places which are more affluent, but you go down the road and end up in Romford and it's a different story. Equally, I find East Ham like a completely different country. I feel so uncomfortable there.

My hometown of Bexley is quite nice, I've never seen any extremes. My school was nice, the children I teach piano to are nice. However, you go down the road and end up in Welling or Eltham, both of which have bad reputations. I think when you live close to the city, you see more diversity.

In the midst of business women and men in Russel Square, tourists and visitors spending huge amounts of money in the expensive shops of the Brunswick, you see beggars sitting on the floor asking for a pound. On the same street you see student workers asking to donate money to children in need.

I love London, I love where I live and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But it definately has it faults. If you think about it ... where doesn't have faults?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Mr_Vain
Imagine the daily displays of squalor and inescapable cyclical poverty. The failed immigration policies of governance; your neighbours now aliens. But love thy neighbour? Well, in your world "love" may be a universal language, but in the real world, for practicality, our language is English. Your national identity so lost, we don't have that anymore... English? No such thing. A dirty word. The exorbitant displays of excess from the privileged few, foreign money. Who cares where it came from? Depression is everywhere with the invisible tagline being "Not enough". Nothing is ever enough in this vanity fair. People are always wanting to take more and to consume more. They are always hungry but their wants will never be satisfied. Your employers know this, you will never starve, but you will do anything to maintain your current lifestyle or better yourself. So they are clever. They use you, they give you enough to maintain but never to leave your career; teasing you with the upper crust whilst you're locked in the heart of darkness. You look at the man next to you on your daily commute, he knows, you know. The key has been thrown away. The young? These people are desperate to be "someone", on an endless quest to self-define and be validated. You're unique right? Have something that makes you different to everybody else? But, they are no one, they are a statistic. No matter what their Twitter taglines suggest. The only thing that they can cling on to is their hopes, a more rational man would perhaps identify that as delusion. Morphine for the mind. Inspire a generation?
You have just described every major prosperous world city on the planet. presumably you must live in a hole in the ground in some field somewhere
Reply 36
The only answer - move to a paradise and be self sufficient. No more work. All you have to do is survive.
Original post by Steezy
The only answer - move to a paradise and be self sufficient. No more work. All you have to do is survive.

Magaluf?
Even the Utopian ideal has society working together to advance knowledge, morality, technology etc. It's basically society functioning responsibly.
Reply 39
Original post by AspiringGenius
i don't know, Glasgow is a close runner up.

On this road I walk down, called Great Western Road there are massive houses in one area:

f5bb7db1097ed984a4e0cdbae8aaadee87ff67dd_645_430.jpg

and just 20 minutes down the road and it's a completely different world.

I suppose that's the nature of inequality, population growth and urbanization, and we had better get used to it. I just hope that I'm on the right side of the fence before the gap gets too great.

Quick Reply

Latest