The Student Room Group

"Official" name for this type of operation

I was shadowing a doctor and he performed a minor operation on a patient.

The operation consisted of him removing two pretty deep cycts one on the forehead the other on the chest.

Firstly he used local anesthetic then proceeded to cut out the cysts

What if the name of this type of operation?
Reply 1
Probably an elipse excision of sebaceous cyst.
Original post by Egypt
Probably an elipse excision of sebaceous cyst.

Ok thanks that's what i'll call it in my personal statement.
Reply 3
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_

There's really no need to use excessive amounts of medical jargon in your PS, that term is going to eat up quite a bit of your limited character allowance - you could get away with simply saying "minor operation" in all likelihood.

Not to mention, if an interviewer were feeling mean they might decide to ask you exactly what you understand by "elipse excision of sebaceous cyst" - don't make things more difficult for yourself!

I can just see the interviewer asking you about this - and unless you're totally sure you know all about it, I wouldn't do it, it's simply too risky to try and big yourself up - only to be brought straight back down to earth with a bang at interview.
Original post by Democracy
There's really no need to use excessive amounts of medical jargon in your PS, that term is going to eat up quite a bit of your limited character allowance - you could get away with simply saying "minor operation" in all likelihood.

Not to mention, if an interviewer were feeling mean they might decide to ask you exactly what you understand by "elipse excision of sebaceous cyst" - don't make things more difficult for yourself!

Original post by Marshton
I can just see the interviewer asking you about this - and unless you're totally sure you know all about it, I wouldn't do it, it's simply too risky to try and big yourself up - only to be brought straight back down to earth with a bang at interview.

Ok I guess you guys are right... I'll call it a minor operation... if I get asked what this minor operation was at interview then i'll use the actual name?
Reply 6
Ok I guess you guys are right... I'll call it a minor operation... if I get asked what this minor operation was at interview then i'll use the actual name?

I think that's sensible. It doesn't matter what the operation was at all - you don't get more points for having watched a hip replacement than for seeing a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. What matters is what you learned from the experience, so that's what you should write about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending