The Student Room Group

Stopping an MRes/PhD after the MRes

Hi,

I've currently just finished my MRes year of a 1+3 MRes/PhD in Medical Sciences and I didn't quite get the results I was hoping. As a result, I'm now considering not carrying on to my PhD. One thing that does concern me is whether stopping now would prevent me from getting a PhD in an area I'm more comfortable studying, in the future. Does anybody have any advice for me?

Thank you :smile:
It wouldn't prevent you but it might make future applications harder IF the assumption of these things is that you do all four years. Is it natural for many people to cut off after the first year?

Even if not, if you have good reasons for not completing this particular course, and you can explain them in an interview, you'll have a chance.

If you already know this is not the PhD for you, then it's an academic question, since it's not really an option for you to pursue it for the next three-four years!
Reply 2
This is a dilemma I'm wrestling with at the moment, albeit because I can successfully complete an MPhil, but I'm self-funded and I don't have enough money to complete the full PhD.

From discussions with many people both online and in the real world, it seems that an MPhil carries an automatic assumption that it was awarded because you failed a PhD transfer. Ultimately I'd like a PhD - whether by completing my own research or by taking on a funded PhD (which are incredibly rare in my little field, hence being self-funded in the first place).

I've eventually concluded that an MPhil would be more of a hindrance than a help, as my ambitions include going further in academia if possible. However if you don't have academia in your sights, then an MPhil might well be a respectable place to draw a line.

Beware of making the decision based on results not being quite as you'd hoped. I was warned from the outset that PhD projects can change direction more than once. If your supervisors are happy for you to continue, then this is a good indicator that you're still on some sort of right track - even if it wasn't the one you started on!
Reply 3
Thank you very much nonswimmer and Kilx88, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I never received the email telling me I'd had any replies!

I eventually made the decision that that particular PhD wasn't for me and that there wasn't a massive amount of wiggle room in the subject, so I decided not to continue. Surprisingly, I'm not as devastated by the decision as I thought I would be, and I've been able to properly relax for a few days for the first time in a while!

Klix88, I hope you resolve your dilemma as well. :smile:
Reply 4
If you just listed the MRes on your CV they might not know that you were formally registered for a PhD (unlike an MPhil, a MRes degree is a standalone degree in its own right).

You should probably ask your university precisely what information they would release to anyone asking for a reference.
Reply 5
Original post by faeriegirl6
Thank you very much nonswimmer and Kilx88, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I never received the email telling me I'd had any replies!

I eventually made the decision that that particular PhD wasn't for me and that there wasn't a massive amount of wiggle room in the subject, so I decided not to continue. Surprisingly, I'm not as devastated by the decision as I thought I would be, and I've been able to properly relax for a few days for the first time in a while!

Klix88, I hope you resolve your dilemma as well. :smile:

Definitely sounds to me like you've made the right decision. As Poohat said, the MRes is a qualification in its own right and not a 'failed PhD' like an MPhil would be. I think if you've done well on the MRes and your undergrad, you definitely have a good chance on going back to do a more suitable PhD in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending