The Student Room Group

Year 13, taking a gap year.

Hi all!
I'm currently in year 13, doing Chemistry, Biology and Religious studies. I'm really determined to do medicine so I've decided to take a gap year to make sure I get the grades and experience as I have on going mental health issues.
So I will be hopefully be applying this time next year for University.

I'm wondering whether there're any other people who're in the same boat as me (as in you're currently in year 13 and thinking of taking a gap year before medicine) because everyone around me is getting excited for University and It's quite daunting.
Reply 2

Yay :smile: What made you decide to take a gap year and do you know what you're going to do during that year yet?
Original post by squirrels
Hi all!
I'm currently in year 13, doing Chemistry, Biology and Religious studies. I'm really determined to do medicine so I've decided to take a gap year to make sure I get the grades and experience as I have on going mental health issues.

I'm wondering whether there're any other people who're in the same boat as me (as in you're currently in year 13 and thinking of taking a gap year before medicine) because everyone around me is getting excited for University and It's quite daunting.

Hi, I'm not applying for medicine, but I was in year 13 last year and decided to take a Gap Year for exactly the same reasons as you :smile:

I'm feeling a bit lonely at the moment, because all my friends are *just* going off to uni and I'm left here on my own.
Yay :smile: What made you decide to take a gap year and do you know what you're going to do during that year yet?

I've always wanted to travel to Africa and see what it is like there. Then I realised medicine is a 6-7 year course and a life long profession, I might not have the chance to do that later...so I just decided to take an year out and enrich myself and effectively make myself grow up :biggrin: I am applying for hospital placements recently and hopefully I will get some :smile: I will probably also do some volunteering + 1 open university short course...I think these would keep me busy for the year :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I took a gap year after Year 13 (starting uni this week! sjkffgdsf)

It was quite annoying seeing all my friends having fun on facebook at university but the year has gone fairly quickly and I've done some nice things :smile: I also worked for all of the year so I have lots of money saved which is obviously very nice!

Also when you go to uni next year, all your friends will be jealous that you get to be a fresher while they have to knuckle down for their second year! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi all!

Have you looked at applying through UCAS this year for deferred entry as well? It'd give you experience of the whole system and if you get an offer then you would have your whole gap year free and could go abroad without any UCAS worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending