The Student Room Group

does gap year worsen acceptance

im planning to go into medicine to a top uni. im still in year 11. for year 12/13 i plan to soley focus on getting 4A*s and do minimal extra stuff like work experience. then, i plan to take a gap year, to soley focus on everything else: volunteer, lots of work experience, get a job, whole year to prepare for UCAT, travel the world, meet new ppl, truly think whether med is for me etc etc...

then i will apply. do admissions even see that i took a gap year, will they care? or is my plan goated. im also pretty young in the academic year (taking gcses at 15) and also physically so wsnt to grow up a bit before med skl.
correction: i won't have a whole year for UCAT, ill do it right after year 13 but that still gives me more time than usual.
Original post by ismaelishere
im planning to go into medicine to a top uni. im still in year 11. for year 12/13 i plan to soley focus on getting 4A*s and do minimal extra stuff like work experience. then, i plan to take a gap year, to soley focus on everything else: volunteer, lots of work experience, get a job, whole year to prepare for UCAT, travel the world, meet new ppl, truly think whether med is for me etc etc...
then i will apply. do admissions even see that i took a gap year, will they care? or is my plan goated. im also pretty young in the academic year (taking gcses at 15) and also physically so wsnt to grow up a bit before med skl.
Hi there,

It's great to hear you're planning your next steps so meticulously and early in your academic life. This will set you in good stead for the future!

I work for a company that specifically has people taking gap years with us for some of the reasons you've given here. We actually find that, because of the experience they gain during that year out, if their grades are at the requirements, they're even likelier to be accepted onto the course. University course accepters, especially medicine ones, love seeing dedicated people who are committed to helping people (as this is a big part of what jobs in this field will entail!) - I know lots of people who have volunteered for care homes, shadowing GPs, nursing wards, etc, and following those experiences were accepted onto a course even after taking a year out.

Some of these people even got into Oxford, Cambridge and London Imperial, so as long as you can evidence the experiences you've gained through your gap year you're not at a disadvantage - if anything you're at an advantage, as you'll have more real-world experience than the next year of applicants.

Hope this helps!

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending