The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Newcastle Uni came into my school to give a talk on it, seemed very encouraging program.

It usually takes 3 years to become a chartered accountant. As I think its a four year program, your only saving 6 months, but it is full of work experience placements which can only be beneficial if you know you definately want to be an accountant.
Reply 2
Yea you're probably better off taking a sandwich year or gap year and doing a placement within the big4. If you don't like it then you can do something else when you graduate! The time spent on the placement will go towards the 3 years practical experience required for the ACA.
Reply 3
I went to Newcastle Uni in February half-term, and I fell in love with the place. Admittedly, I did not choose it based on better alternatives for language learning which is high on my list of priorities - but a great place.

I currently hold a place on the PwC Gap program, and believe they are a very good company to be in with. I would have gone for the Flying Start program myself, but I want to study Economics specifically.

The way in which you do save time is when compared to people on the Gap program who are doing other degrees. For example, I am looking at taking my Gap Year, studying at uni (let's say for 3 years, though it will probably be 4) and then join the firm as a graduate. I would then be sent to college for 9 months to complete the theory, and over the following 3 years get in enough Audit work to qualify for the ACA issue (in the 2nd of those 3 years, you have to do a case study assignment).

For me, it would be:

Gap Year + Bachelors + 3 years = 7

For you..

Gap Year + Bachelors + 1.5 years = 5.5

So compared to the other gap students, you will save time, but you have to do the Business Accountancy degree that they specify.

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
Doesn't your time on the PwC gap year scheme qualify towards the ACA?

I think if you're on a placement for 13 weeks or longer it'll count towards the 'technical experience' required by the ICAEW.
Reply 5
Not sure, you may well be right.

When I went for my first interview, a Senior Manager from Tax said that you join them in the September that you graduate, and are sent to college for 9 months to do the ACA theory. 3 years after you finish, you get signed off - so perhaps originally it was 4.

Thing is, I am going to be in Tax. Now even for the ACA, I will have to do some Audit as well as Tax to qualify post graduation. During my gap year, I doubt I will do any though.

Really don't know the exact ICAEW requirements though...
Reply 6
To qualify as a Chartered Accountant (with the ACA qualification) you have to pass all the relevant exams AND have 3 years 'technical experience'. Usually the big4 will make you take your exams at the earliest possible opportunity so in a lot of cases you'll have completed all your exams within 18-24months.

But you still won't be qualified until you've had 3 years technical (or practical) experience. You won't have to study for any exams during your placement, but the time you spend on the placement should count towards the technical experience required by the ICAEW.
Reply 7
thanks for all the replies, so i get the impression that if i really want to be an accountant i might aswell do this course - does it actually have status in the industry? If it doesn't i geuss i will still leave with a degree and an early entry into ICAEW..

Anyone got any more thoughts on the course, or better yet - is anyone here on it?

Latest

Trending

Trending