The Student Room Group

University Marks HELP!!

Hi, I got my results back today I got a third overall and im devastated because ive tried so hard.

The distribution of marks is 10% for first yr, 30% for second yr, 60% for third yr.

my first yr I got 60% (Childhood 57, disability 63)
my second yr I got 60.5% (Childhood 59, disability 62)
my third yr breakdown was as follows:
Childhood and youth aggregate = 46
Disability Studies aggregate = 45
(both equal average of 45.5)

my key honours marks were both 50 (dissertation) and 42

This is how my university said they mark degrees:
Overall aggregate mark from Level 1,2,3
Aggregate mark in each subject from Level 3
Marks for two key honours assignments

I understand I received thirds in my 3rd year, but I did have a medical note (for my dissertation only) as I have been suffering from depression +anxiety. Because I was ashamed about my mental state I didn't go see my GP earlier and therefore handed assignments in and clearly marks drastically dropped.
Is there anything I can do about this? Im sure my GP would verify my state and provide a note/evidance
I really thought Id get a 2:2 due to my 2:1 in first and second year
At a glance I make your grade a 2.2 (51%).

However, we need the weight of the final year marks. I used the average of all of them, but I presume the honour parts had more weight in the final year.

As for extenuating circumstances I am not sure what to advise. You will need evidence and if you did not seek help for the issues then you may struggle to prove the situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
My calculation also comes to 51.45%, is the weighting different in some cases? If it's exactly as you've said then you have got a 2:2 since 2:2 is 50-59%.
Original post by Acei
My calculation also comes to 51.45%, is the weighting different in some cases? If it's exactly as you've said then you have got a 2:2 since 2:2 is 50-59%.

We also do not know if the average of the first and second year are correct. If the OP has directly calculated the average grade without weighting for the number of credits per unit.
Reply 4
Could a doctors note class as medical evidence for my grades being so low in third year?

Is is it my key honours/my final year aggregate mark holding me back? (45 and 46) my friend however got a 2:2 and her key honours was 43! So I'm confused!
Original post by Keeleigh1012
Could a doctors note class as medical evidence for my grades being so low in third year?

Is is it my key honours/my final year aggregate mark holding me back? (45 and 46) my friend however got a 2:2 and her key honours was 43! So I'm confused!

Why on earth should a doctor's note do that?
Reply 6
Original post by balotelli12
Why on earth should a doctor's note do that?

It can do. It was suggested to me last year - my marks being low because of various medical issues.
Reply 7
Original post by Keeleigh1012

If it states the nature of your problem and why it would have affected your ability to study, produce coursework or concentrate on exams, then you might have been able to apply for Extenuating Circumstances.

However you would normally be expected to apply for these before or during your study and your uni probably has time limits after which you can't apply. If your marks have been ratified by your uni's Exam Board, then you may be too late. You need to check your uni's regulations around Extenutating Circumstances.

You also need to be able to explain to the uni why you're only applying now instead of at the time you were affected. They might take the position that you're only putting in the appeal because you had low marks. Presumably if you had a better mark then you wouldn't be thinking about it, which isn't going to play well for you.
Original post by Politics Student
We also do not know if the average of the first and second year are correct. If the OP has directly calculated the average grade without weighting for the number of credits per unit.

EDIT: Just realised what I wrote was already in the OP. Ignore me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending