The Student Room Group

Do you say "Aunt(ie)/Uncle Name" when addressing parents' siblings?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by deedee123

To be honest i have a thing where i avoid addressing people in general.

This
Original post by Skip_Snip
I've never really called my aunts and uncles anything but their name, never with their title attached. But I know some people do?

I guess it's a family thing, because neither of my parents address their own aunts or uncles that way. They'd say "your auntie, Mildred" rather than "your Auntie Mildred", if that makes sense :tongue:

I have an uncle whose name is Tom, but if I call him Uncle Tom I expect him to turn black and start playing the banjo...

I usually refer to my relations just by their names (though always their nicknames rather than real name). We more often refer to my "fake relations" eg close family friends as auntie/uncle. I know that's a bit weird.
We only use auntie/uncle to distinguish between people, like so:

'I'm seeing Jane on Sunday'
'Which Jane'
'Aunt Jane'

but contrastingly we use 'Auntie' for my godmother all the time.
First name.
When I was younger I did. Now most times when I see them I just call them by their first names :redface:
if they're older than me then auntie or uncle.
if they're similar ages but are my auntie and uncle then just their name.
i think its a cultural thing too.
(edited 10 years ago)
My uncle just wants to be known by his name.
Reply 27
One of my uncles married an Emma, I sometimes call her Auntie Em in a Dorothy voice, for poops and giggles :tongue:
I do for one side of the family but not for the other, but all my cousins on their various sides do the same as me so it doesn't really matter, just what we've been brought up to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to call them auntie/uncle "insert name here" as a child, but now I just use their names. Sometimes my aunt will call herself auntie when being especially nice or joking around.
No, I just call them by their first name

Quick Reply

Latest