The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Living in Senghennydd Court? Ask me anything!

'Allo there! I'm a second year student at Cardiff and I used to live in good old Senghetto (specifically House F) during my first year, so if you have anything you'd like to know about living there, you've come to the right thread.

(It's pronounced seng-HEN-ith, by the way, and the 'th' part is pronounced in the same way as the 'th' in 'though' or 'there'. Just in case you were a bit baffled.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I have put Cardiff as my firm choice and am looking at accommodation there. What are the rooms like in senghennydd eg size, furniture etc.? Is there enough storage?
Also if you had shared bathrooms, what was it like?
And finally, do you know what any of the other halls are like?

Thanks!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Yes my first choice is senghenydd court & am a postgrad student.My questions are the same as gibmonkey..pls answer & try to elaborate.
Reply 3
Same as above! International postgrad weighing my options. Do you happen to have any pictures of the bathroom, etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Same same. Ma International journalism, post grad student.
I quite like the post grad plus option. Also, how's the social life like? Budget wise, I'm quite convinced. It's mainly the distance to places that I want an assurance of.
Original post by HP love
Same same. Ma International journalism, post grad student.
I quite like the post grad plus option. Also, how's the social life like? Budget wise, I'm quite convinced. It's mainly the distance to places that I want an assurance of.

Pg plus was a joke, they just gave us used sheets and few pots and pans to use altogether in the kitchen. Unfortunately my roommates weren't very clean so I never touched those utensils again.. Also if you choose PG plus you are placed into House P, while other postgraduates are in house N or L (or K, cant remember)
I lived in Senghennydd Court house p 2 years ago, it was lovely, very close to city centre. Rooms are a bit small but talybont is like that too and overall Senghennydd's location compensated for it.
is it cheaper to buy all the pots/pans, utensils once we come there?
Reply 7
What course are u taking? Is it far from your department? Can u post any pic here? Thanks
Original post by desigirl01
is it cheaper to buy all the pots/pans, utensils once we come there?

Its not that expensive if you buy the student sets from Argos or you can buy good brands for cheap from TK Maxx. You can buy all kinds of cheap bedding etc from Primark. You would need to buy a kettle and a toaster also but you can pay for these together as a flat. PG plus also gives you a TV but its in the kitchen. Our remote was stolen in the second month so we did not use it that much...
The pots they gave us were used and rusty and the sheets were certainly smelling strange. They also wanted those back when we were leaving Senghennydd so I'm pretty sure they will give these to next PG plus students.
Reply 9
I dont know whether to choose Senghennydd Court or Hall... i want the place where the is a decent ballance of getting "****housed" and work, i heard court is really noisey all the time and hall is out of the way and modern so its nice but not much going on?

im scared im going to choose a place where my housemates dont talk to anyone or dont do anything "fun" haha

Applying for Senghennydd Hall/Court for sept 2014
Post if you're doing the same!
I'm looking to go to Cardiff Uni next year, so starting in 2015, I want to study maths. I reckon I will go for the evening meal option, but I'm not sure which of the Senghennydd's to go for, court or hall? Which one do you suggest?
Reply 11
Original post by 08knighte
I'm looking to go to Cardiff Uni next year, so starting in 2015, I want to study maths. I reckon I will go for the evening meal option, but I'm not sure which of the Senghennydd's to go for, court or hall? Which one do you suggest?

Im in the exact same situation with regard of which one to choose, i've applied this year and have cardiff as an accepted firm offer but i cant choose between the two :frown:

I heard.. Court is really noisey like all the time

but i have heard nothing about hall.. i dont know whether its considered a "boring" place or something, i really hope not
Original post by Sam242
Im in the exact same situation with regard of which one to choose, i've applied this year and have cardiff as an accepted firm offer but i cant choose between the two :frown:

I heard.. Court is really noisey like all the time

but i have heard nothing about hall.. i dont know whether its considered a "boring" place or something, i really hope not

Congratulations for being accepted. Well I will be looking for one which is a bit of both. I'm not the partying type, however I don't want to be in a place where no one talks and I can't make any friends.
Reply 13
Original post by 08knighte
Congratulations for being accepted. Well I will be looking for one which is a bit of both. I'm not the partying type, however I don't want to be in a place where no one talks and I can't make any friends.

Thank you very much! I would like one that's a bit of both too, i mean i do like to go out but i like to do it in moderation - never to much of anything.
But as you say im worried ill be living with people who dont really talk to eachother!
Reply 14
I'm stuck in the same position as you, I considered aberconway hall aswel. But I've heard nothing about it.
Talybont is too much of a party place, so can't decide.

Shanzey
Accounting and Finance, 2014

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Random question:

How long does it usually take to hear back on accommodation once you've submitted your choices?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they start allotting halls in July...so we should hear from them sometime in the last week of july may be? just making a guess :tongue:
Reply 17
i'm waitiing for a reply from accommodation too, i think you're right though. July is usually the time they begin to do all of the housing

Hope i get to live with people who talk and do things, would be nice!
Hello there, can you help me with a couple of queries please

1. For the post-graduate plus will I have to pay electricity charges on top of the charges or are they included in the £5,702 I will have to pay.

2. How is the nightlife at the Court? Do postgrads interact? Are there social events for those who live at the Court?

Original post by Impignorate
'Allo there! I'm a second year student at Cardiff and I used to live in good old Senghetto (specifically House F) during my first year, so if you have anything you'd like to know about living there, you've come to the right thread.

(It's pronounced seng-HEN-ith, by the way, and the 'th' part is pronounced in the same way as the 'th' in 'though' or 'there'. Just in case you were a bit baffled.)
Reply 19
Original post by M_Kirk
Random question:

How long does it usually take to hear back on accommodation once you've submitted your choices?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just got my accommodation letter! House L in senghennydd ct! Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending