The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Maths or morse

hi there

i have absolutely no idea whether to apply for morse or maths at warwick. could anyone doing either please explain the differences between.

and like what degree is it probably better to choose depending on what you want to do after. i.e. what kind of future after uni would mean u choose maths over morse or vice versa.

Finally, how easy is it to switch between morse and maths once you're at warwick in 1st year. and do you know the standard offers for these courses. i know maths is A*AA 1 /A*A*A 2...but is morse the same?

Scroll to see replies

If you do Maths, your only core modules are those based in the Maths Dept but with Morse you have a range of core modules from the Business School, Stats Dept, Maths Dept & Economics Dept. It looks like a more restrictive course than Maths and is a more career oriented degree, with courses in the fourth year which seem to exist only to provide exemptions from the exams you need to become an actuary.

If you want a career in statistics, taking Morse is probably your best bet but either will leave you open to most careers traditionally sought after by Maths/Stats grads. Even though Morse, unlike Maths, offers the actuary exam exemptions, people do become trainee actuaries after graduating with a BSc in Maths.

Entrance requirements are bit lower for Morse:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/offer

Switching from Maths to Morse is definitely possible after Year 1 - you just need to ensure you took the right modules in that year. Not sure about the other way round though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Transfers to Maths from joint degrees usually requires having 2.1s in all the maths core modules (or their direct replacements).
Was wondering, can you make two separate applications to Warwick - I was thinking one for Maths and a second application for MORSE.

Will they consider both of my applications as if I had only submitted one? Is it possible that I could receive offers for both courses?
Original post by arabianmathsman
Was wondering, can you make two separate applications to Warwick - I was thinking one for Maths and a second application for MORSE.

Will they consider both of my applications as if I had only submitted one? Is it possible that I could receive offers for both courses?

I am pretty certain that there's nothing to stop you doing this.
The courses are run by two different departments (respectively maths and statistics), so will be reviewed by completely different people.

If you did receive an offer for both courses though, what would you do then?
It would only make sense if you firm maths and put MORSE as insurance.
If you wanted a firm or an insurance at a different university, you would have to choose between the two courses at this stage anyway, albeit later on in the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I've heard that Warwick give out maths offers to everyone predicted AAB. Is this true?
Also does anyone know what the applicant to offer ratio is for morse?
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I am pretty certain that there's nothing to stop you doing this.
The courses are run by two different departments (respectively maths and statistics), so will be reviewed by completely different people.

If you did receive an offer for both courses though, what would you do then?
It would only make sense if you firm maths and put MORSE as insurance.
If you wanted a firm or an insurance at a different university, you would have to choose between the two courses at this stage anyway, albeit later on in the year.

It's more a case of me having only filled 4 out of the 5 spaces on my UCAS application and having already exhausted all of the universities I want to apply to with pure Maths applications - I was thinking I may as well apply to Warwick again for MMORSE as the course looks interesting and if I get an offer for it I may decide later on that I'd rather do that than pure maths.

Original post by NLoR
I've heard that Warwick give out maths offers to everyone predicted AAB. Is this true?
Also does anyone know what the applicant to offer ratio is for morse?

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere on the admissions section of the maths department on the Warwick site that they automatically give out their standard offer (A*AA + a 1/D in STEP/AEA or A*A*A + a 2/D or M? in STEP/AEA) to everyone applying for maths predicted AAB and above (with As in Maths and FM)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by arabianmathsman
It's more a case of me having only filled 4 out of the 5 spaces on my UCAS application and having already exhausted all of the universities I want to apply to with pure Maths applications - I was thinking I may as well apply to Warwick again for MMORSE as the course looks interesting and if I get an offer for it I may decide later on that I'd rather do that than pure maths.

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere on the admissions section of the maths department on the Warwick site that they automatically give out their standard offer (A*AA + a 1/D in STEP/AEA or A*A*A + a 2/D or M? in STEP/AEA) to everyone applying for maths predicted AAB and above (with As in Maths and FM)

Ah ok. Thanks!
Does anyone know if they give out many Morse offers?
Reply 8
I'm in same situation, cant decide between MORSE or maths, as they both are interesting in their part, one question, how valuable is MORSE degree, compared to Mathematics, i mean is it 'worth it' future wise?
Original post by NLoR
Does anyone know if they give out many Morse offers?

Yeah they do: it will be roughly the number which, after deducting the number expected not to meet the offer, just meets the capacity of the course, which is something like 170, when you include the (M)MathStat.

Original post by Omar.Q
I'm in same situation, cant decide between MORSE or maths, as they both are interesting in their part, one question, how valuable is MORSE degree, compared to Mathematics, i mean is it 'worth it' future wise?

MORSE students are generally more widely employable, I'd say, as they might be seen to have a wider skill set.
Do you know what kind of thing you might go into?
Reply 10
Yeah they do: it will be roughly the number which, after deducting the number expected not to meet the offer, just meets the capacity of the course, which is something like 170, when you include the (M)MathStat.

MORSE students are generally more widely employable, I'd say, as they might be seen to have a wider skill set.

well i like mathematics, but obviously in the future want to work in the financial sector etc
Original post by Omar.Q
well i like mathematics, but obviously in the future want to work in the financial sector etc

Oh right, didn't realise that was obvious.
Probably MORSE will give you a slight advantage, more so if you do finance, accounting and economics modules, but maths would be a very good choice for this career path too.
Probably MORSE will give you a slight advantage, more so if you do finance, accounting and economics modules, but maths would be a very good choice for this career path too.

So is getting an offer for Morse quite difficult?
Original post by 123formyabc
So is getting an offer for Morse quite difficult?

For some people it is, but others will find it quite achievable.
I guess the best thing to do is look up the standard offer and see how hard you think it would be to get those grades.
I guess the best thing to do is look up the standard offer and see how hard you think it would be to get those grades.

Sorry I should rephrase my question, for courses maths and stats and morse does warwick give out offers the same way it does for maths ( aa predicted for m and fm)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

choice between the two courses is important as the requirements are different
Reply 16

i went to an open day at warwick on saturday.

the statistics deptment said that the interview for morse is not meant to be used as selection criteria...it really is just a chat. So this year...so people don't get worked up about it, they are going to give their offers out and then interview all those they have given offers to.

So in terms of what we are applying with...AS',GCSE, predicted grades, PS etc... what are they looking for to give you an offer?

Is someone with majority A* at GCSE and 5 As at AS with a good PS likely to be given an offer?
Reply 17
Original post by 123formyabc
Sorry I should rephrase my question, for courses maths and stats and morse does warwick give out offers the same way it does for maths ( aa predicted for m and fm)?

no
Reply 18

Do you know approximately how many people apply for Morse?
Original post by NLoR
Do you know approximately how many people apply for Morse?

I'm sorry, I really haven't the faintest clue.
I'd guess something like 800, but that's an utter stab in the dark.

Quick Reply

Latest