The Student Room Group

'Non-muslim female teachers forced to wear veil'.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red one
Oh please, spare everyone the theatrics! Why can't a Islamic school ask females, yes even the non-muslim ones, to abide by it's rule in the same way that it's not right to have a veil on at a normal school? It's a school uniform and they're all told about it b4 they sign their contracts. No one if forcing anyone here and it's typical daily mail propaganda.

What about female students sitting at the back behind males? Do you justify that too? :rolleyes:
Original post by Truefaith
No one is forcing them. Its to stop them getting stared at by the boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Funny, I don't remember sitting there all day staring at the girls from age 4 to 16. Also its a good job girls never glance at boys:rolleyes:. I don't get what the obsession is about branding males as some sort of sexual predators who are out of control to the extent that woman need to hide themselves in order to avoid being assaulted. Though with how much sexual assault occurs in some Asian countries, maybe it's just how men are over there, brought up with a culture and religion which treat women as inferior, little more than objects to produce children.
Original post by uktotalgamer
I always find it interesting in these situations that the religion card is quickly played here. Yes, it may be religion, but it's wrong. There is a clear difference between wrong and right. Islam is wrong. The way most of it's followers treat women is disgusting.

How do they treat their women in a disgusting way? They treat them with respect, most lads just treat girls like pieces of meat..i'll leave the details out.
Original post by joey11223
Funny, I don't remember sitting there all day staring at the girls from age 4 to 16. Also its a good job girls never glance at boys:rolleyes:. I don't get what the obsession is about branding males as some sort of sexual predators who are out of control to the extent that woman need to hide themselves in order to avoid being assaulted. Though with how much sexual assault occurs in some Asian countries, maybe it's just how men are over there, brought up with a culture and religion which treat women as inferior, little more than objects to produce children.

Lol what are you even on about?
Reply 44
Original post by NikoB
What about female students sitting at the back behind males? Do you justify that too? :rolleyes:

Can you substantiate that? Or do you believe the word "claim" holds any credibility
Original post by Blue is back
How do they treat their women in a disgusting way? They treat them with respect, most lads just treat girls like pieces of meat..i'll leave the details out.

Lmao. Strong comprehension of how women are treated in the middle east.
Reply 46
Whilst I do think this is awful, they're not doing anything illegal. If it's clearly stated in the job contract, and the teachers agreed to it, then that's the way it is.

Legality aside, no one should be forced to present an item of religion without choice IMO.
Reply 47
This is a faith school. If you allow schools to be built upon ancient ideals then expect ancient ideas of tolerance.

To be honest if it's a muslim situation with muslim students teachers should be aware of what they're signing up for, and it is the right of the school to decide it's dress code.
Original post by Philbert
Why do girls have to sit at the back of the class?? :confused:

I really hope this isn't allowed. Fair enough, you can inform them that they will have to wear hijab when they apply, but forcing them to choose between doing something they don't believe in and unemployment is disgusting.

Guessing so the boys would have to turn around to see them in lessons.

In any case this school sounds pretty retarded.
Original post by BenAssirati
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426626/Female-teachers-Islamic-school-sign-contract-agreeing-wear-headscarf-theyre-NOT-Muslim.html#comments

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10322872/Non-Muslim-teachers-forced-to-wear-veil-at-faith-school.html

So amidst the ongoing debate about banning burqas and niqabs, we find a story in which all female teachers in a school are being forced to sign a contract stating they must wear veils during school hours, even if they are not muslims, or else they will lose their jobs.

Not only this, it seems, as the school is now found to be telling teachers to force female students to sit at the back of the classroom.

I can just about understand the 'their school, their rules' argument, and although I disagree that we should allow schools to force teachers to do what they want, I think the more pressing issue here is the obvious and hideous sexism.

In a society that prides itself on apparent 'multiculturalism' and 'acceptance', how is it we allow the kind of behaviour that archaically and purposefully oppresses a whole gender, especially children of that gender? Does tolerance only work one way these days?

Personally, I find the idea of free schools, such as the one in the article, a bit iffy because they can have what ever rules they want and set their own curriculum.

However, back to the point, I feel as though it's fair enough to request female staff to wear hijabs because surely when you apply for a job in a faith school you would be aware of the fact that there may be religious rules you have to adhere to. It may be a bit harsh giving long term staff an ultimatum but ultimately its their prerogative.

Personally I think seating the girls at the back though is blatant sexism. This isn't Saudi Arabia, girls are just as valued as boys in the UK and should be treated as such. Don't even get me started on other related issues- what if there is a girl who doesn't have great eye sight/ perfect hearing so being seated at the back of the class impedes their progress?

Original post by The_Duck
This is a faith school. If you allow schools to be built upon ancient ideals then expect ancient ideas of tolerance.

To be honest if it's a muslim situation with muslim students teachers should be aware of what they're signing up for, and it is the right of the school to decide it's dress code.

EDIT: My post is literally what you've said. Completely agree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by uktotalgamer
Lmao. Strong comprehension of how women are treated in the middle east.

I dont think so, most women are treated with respect. Look at yourself first.
british people = doormats.
Original post by Blue is back
I forgot that only muslim men were rapists in this country..There are bad people in every culture and society so please dont generalise, not only does it make you look like an ignorant fool but it also shows your level of intelligence.

Nice stock answer about rape not being exclusive to muslims and blah blah. I never said it was. Neither did I generalise, hence the word 'some'.

If you take the blinkered view that the muslim men, who were involved in the grooming of young white girls, had anything but contempt for these girls then you're either astonishingly naive or just plain dense.
Whether or not I agree with what this Islamic school is asking of it's students, I have to say it's not the only school with such demands. My school is catholic, the sixth form is multi faith and the lower school is catholic (however they accept a small percentage of students from others faiths after extensive testing prior to admissions).
Students in the lower school, regardless of the fact that they state their faith on their application form, are not allowed to display any sign of their faith. This applies to hijab for Muslim students as well as the 5 ks for Sikh students etc.
None of these examples are correct but I just wish to illustrate how these issues are found in all faith school environments; maybe we should give the Islamic schools a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Al-Mudaari
"Forced", typically Daily mail title, despite teachers signing an agreed contract before hand.

Let's start firing Muslims who won't handle pork in shops and restaurants then right?

Or are you that much of a hypocrite?
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Not really. This wasn't a converted school, it was set up from the start to be a Muslim one.

So teachers looking for employment there would've been fully notified of the terms before starting work there. Just like any other school, where both teachers and students are required to follow a strict dress code.

Only reason this article is being hyped up by the typical Islamophobes is because "it involves Muslims".
to be fair its only in the Islamic schools that you find this sort of idiocy. Regardless of Islamic school rules, they cannot force tachers to dress in burkhas, especially if they themselves are not muslim- it is a contravening of UKs racial/ religious discrimination laws. It would be like a muslim school saying, "you cant work here, you are a jew"
Reply 56
This is disgusting. I am actually quite shocked I don't know what to say. I think the school should be closed down.
Original post by Heliosphan
Nice stock answer about rape not being exclusive to muslims and blah blah. I never said it was. Neither did I generalise, hence the word 'some'.

If you take the blinkered view that the muslim men, who were involved in the grooming of young white girls, had anything but contempt for these girls then you're either astonishingly naive or just plain dense.

I dont agree with what these men have done; its disgusting. If you didnt generalise, or aim to generalise or cause hate towards them, then why bring it up alltogether in a post about faith schools?

For anyone else argueing about this, its their choice; if you dont like it then dont work there. It is a FAITH school after all...do you not think nuns who have to teach in catholic schools across europe have to wear their veils? In my opinion, its just like school uniform, what if you showed up to a business meeting in jeans and a t shirt? im sure you'd get fired too.
**** religious schools. I mean, I can understand that there are Catholic schools still, fine, they've been here a while and are slowly petering out. But to bring in an Islamic school within the last however many years? It's stupid, completely goes against what being a modern Briton is about
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Red one
Oh please, spare everyone the theatrics! Why can't a Islamic school ask females, yes even the non-muslim ones, to abide by it's rule in the same way that it's not right to have a veil on at a normal school? It's a school uniform and they're all told about it b4 they sign their contracts. No one if forcing anyone here and it's typical daily mail propaganda.

I never said they couldn't, I simply implied that non-Muslim women would rather move to another school than have to wear a veil every day. Personally, I would hate that, and I imagine women would too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending