The Student Room Group

Can you live cheaply by microwavable/prepackaged food in uni?

Let's see:

£1 Pizza for lunch.
£1 pre-packaged mashed potatoes for dinner

For breakfast, cereal/toast is pretty easy to make. So £2 cereal and £1 milk for an entire week.

So that's about £14 per week for lunch and dinner, providing I stick to those items.

I am an amateur cook and I'm sharing a kitchen (so I don't want to make something new at the risk of failing/making a mess). I have limited utensils and I don't want to use the cooker and fry/cook food as that usually means difficult washing up and quite a lot of prep.

Other foods that I can try are:

- Bowl full of heated baked beans for lunch/dinner (I think £1 per can)
- Jacket potatoes are pretty easy to make too.
- Canned soup
- Any more suggestions?

Do you think is an okay-ish cooking plan or have any more suggestions regarding cheap, microwavable food I can buy?
Reply 1
Are you aiming to get scurvy by any chance? :erm:

Why don't you just learn to cook? Get a recipe book, it's really not that hard and doesn't have to be a lot of work. Plus most recipes are for 4 people so you can just cook once or twice a week if you want and either eat the same thing a few days in a row or freeze portions. I recommend BBC Good Food's Cheap Eats book, and Nosh for Students. The BBC Good Food series also does a soups and sides book (soups are great-they're really filling, cheap, and there's endless variety, and there's only one pan to wash up at the end) and a great one-pot meals book as well.

There's nothing wrong with occasionally having a quick ready meal, also stuff like baked beans on toast or baked potatoes certainly have their place, it's handy when you're busy and I'd agree there's some things hardly worth cooking (I always buy cauliflower cheese as a ready meal, because I only ever want it for one meal, and it's not worth the fuss to make it from scratch), but they tend not to be very healthy (and the ones that actually are-rather than claim to be-will be expensive) and it's certainly not cheaper than cooking yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's cheaper to buy potatoes, boil them and make mash that way?

You only really need to learn how to make basic foods, imo. You don't need to make anything that fancy.
Reply 3
Original post by heidigirl

Why don't you just learn to cook? Get a recipe book, it's really not that hard and doesn't have to be a lot of work. Plus most recipes are for 4 people so you can just cook once or twice a week if you want and either eat the same thing a few days in a row or freeze portions. I recommend BBC Good Food's Cheap Eats book, and Nosh for Students. The BBC Good Food series also does a soups and sides book (soups are great-they're really filling, cheap, and there's endless variety, and there's only one pan to wash up at the end) and a great one-pot meals book as well.

There's nothing wrong with occasionally having a quick ready meal, it's handy when you're busy and I'd agree there's some things hardly worth cooking (I always buy cauliflower cheese as a ready meal, because I only ever want it for one meal, and it's not worth the fuss to make it from scratch), but they tend not to be very healthy (and the ones that actually are-rather than claim to be-will be expensive) and it's certainly not cheaper than cooking yourself.

Hmm, I see your point. But now is really not the time to learn to cook. I would if I had a studio kitchen, but I'm sharing a kitchen so it'd be a bit awkward if I make a huge mess. But I plan on taking multivitamins supplements too, so health shouldn't be that much of a problem. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
It's cheaper to buy potatoes, boil them and make mash that way?

You only really need to learn how to make basic foods, imo. You don't need to make anything that fancy.

I'd probably do that, tbh. I know how to make pasta; so I could easily make pasta quite well for lunch (and have been so far). But everything else is alien to me.
Original post by heidigirl

I lol'd at this
Reply 6
Original post by Cryl
Hmm, I see your point. But now is really not the time to learn to cook. I would if I had a studio kitchen, but I'm sharing a kitchen so it'd be a bit awkward if I make a huge mess. But I plan on taking multivitamins supplements too, so health shouldn't be that much of a problem. :smile:

Aren't you living with students? They're not exactly the cleanest of people.

You should only take multivitamins to supplement your diet and not to use them instead of food. I only take them because I'm on such a restricted diet.
Reply 7
Just clean up after yourself after making a mess?
Fry off mince, add tin of peas, an oxo, a it bit of water and some tomato purée, boil and mash spuds, out mince mix in oven tray, add mash on top, cook for twenty minutes.
Original post by Cryl
Let's see:

£1 Pizza for lunch.
£1 pre-packaged mashed potatoes for dinner

For breakfast, cereal/toast is pretty easy to make. So £2 cereal and £1 milk for an entire week.

So that's about £14 per week for lunch and dinner, providing I stick to those items.

I am an amateur cook and I'm sharing a kitchen (so I don't want to make something new at the risk of failing/making a mess). I have limited utensils and I don't want to use the cooker and fry/cook food as that usually means difficult washing up and quite a lot of prep.

Other foods that I can try are:

- Bowl full of heated baked beans for lunch/dinner (I think £1 per can)
- Jacket potatoes are pretty easy to make too.
- Canned soup
- Any more suggestions?

Do you think is an okay-ish cooking plan or have any more suggestions regarding cheap, microwavable food I can buy?

Main suggestion: you need more than one item to make a meal - if you eat 'meals' like a pizza or a dish of mash or a dish of beans, you will not only possibly be still hungry, but also bored of eating the same food, and your health will suffer.

Cooking is not so hard! Buy frozen food - vegetables you can microwave in a dish of water (or boil in a pan) and various fish, chicken in breadcrumbs etc can be cooked in the oven - which is just as easy as cooking in the microwave except you have to time it for yourself.

I agree that frying can make a mess, but boiling stuff in a saucepan e.g. vegetables, pasta, eggs etc doesn't make a mess!

Also if you're worried about cooking, make meals that don't need a lot of cooking, e.g. if you can do pasta, get some tuna or sweetcorn or cheese or sliced meat to add to it straight from the tin/packet.
:biggrin:
Reply 9
Many students (including me when I lived in halls) do a batch cook and freeze it. I did things like curry and pasta and mince meat.

I never made anything that was too difficult and many things didn't take that long to cook either.
Reply 10
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Main suggestion: you need more than one item to make a meal - if you eat 'meals' like a pizza or a dish of mash or a dish of beans, you will not only possibly be still hungry, but also bored of eating the same food, and your health will suffer.

Cooking is not so hard! Buy frozen food - vegetables you can microwave in a dish of water (or boil in a pan) and various fish, chicken in breadcrumbs etc can be cooked in the oven - which is just as easy as cooking in the microwave except you have to time it for yourself.

I agree that frying can make a mess, but boiling stuff in a saucepan e.g. vegetables, pasta, eggs etc doesn't make a mess!

Also if you're worried about cooking, make meals that don't need a lot of cooking, e.g. if you can do pasta, get some tuna or sweetcorn or cheese or sliced meat to add to it straight from the tin/packet.
:biggrin:

Ooo. Very useful suggestions. Thanks, I'll try cooking frozen food and also the pasta suggestions. I don't mind about being bored of the same food; I just need something to eat. It seems like I can't eat anything cheaply at the moment. I made stir-fry but man, that needs so many ingredients. You have to chop things, fry them, boil the rice, wait for a long time and then fry again. Granted, it tastes good. But the time & effort is SO not worth it. Plus there's the effort of cleaning the pan.
Original post by Cryl
Ooo. Very useful suggestions. Thanks, I'll try cooking frozen food and also the pasta suggestions. I don't mind about being bored of the same food; I just need something to eat. It seems like I can't eat anything cheaply at the moment. I made stir-fry but man, that needs so many ingredients. You have to chop things, fry them, boil the rice, wait for a long time and then fry again. Granted, it tastes good. But the time & effort is SO not worth it. Plus there's the effort of cleaning the pan.

You can make a veggie stir fry pretty cheaply - get one of those bags of ready to stir fry veg for about a pound and some stirfry noodles and you can wap it all in a pan and be ready within ten minutes! :smile:
You don't need to buy ingredients for a stir fry separately - most supermarkets do stir-fry packs which contain all the vegetables you need, you just need to add noodles/rice, sauce and meat if you want it. Easy!
Cereal, pizza and mashed potato may keep you alive, but it's very heavy on the carbs, has barely any veg in, and is almost entirely devoid of protein :erm: Vitamins and minerals aren't the only thing you need to worry about when it comes to nutrition.

Now is precisely the time to learn to cook - if you follow recipes properly then you shouldn't create something inedible, and so long as you clear up any mess you do make, no one will mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the contrary, if you are willing to spend the time required to develop basic skills in cookery, and then take the time to cook proper meals, you can live very well while spending a good deal less than the cost of microwave rubbish.
*Vegetarian here.

Find a fruit/vegetable market ...for your health - urgently.

I was lucky in Leicester with the huge market in town, I could spend maybe £5 and come home with bags and bags of food. Bulk buy, share with friends.

Don't take vitamins as a replacement for food you can't be bothered to cook - they're called supplements for a reason.

Cook things in bulk and freeze them. Much easier. Keep a bag of frozen peas/vegetables in the freezer. There will be plenty of those days when you have four assignments due the next day and you barely even have time for a shower.

Stuffed vegetables (with rice/cous cous/bulgur wheat) take virtually no time at all. And no mess. Stop worrying about making a mess, it's not hard to be careful while you cook, and as long as you clean any mess up as you go along no one will care. :smile:

And also omelettes. You can put pretty much whatever you want in them and they take about 10 minutes.

Plus, cooking is enjoyable sometimes! Do some baking! People love free baked goods! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending