The Student Room Group

civil service summer diversity internship 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khodu
I applied on the last day of the deadline (don't ask :hand:) but I can help you with your application when the time comes if you wish? But I did a LOT of research, especially for the telephone interview, follow twitter pages, read articles, but have a genuine passion for this internship. Also read this competency document online thoroughly. I also used the STAR technique and related it back to the role when filling in the Open ended questions in the application form.

I'd really appreciate your help. I've not read up as much as I need too, just because I'm busy with university stuff but come summer I'll definitely do the research. I have a genuine interest in working in some departments, not so much others. I skimmed over the competency document, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not able to provide examples to match those competencies, yet. My CV is literally barren, so my plan this summer is to rack up as much interesting voluntary work I can, and get more involved in societies next academic year. I was wondering though, how do they allocate successful applicants to departments? Or do they not tell you?
Original post by justin7000
I got Foreign Office too :smile: I'm definitely excited! I got a message from Lauren at the FCO Recruitment Team that the internship is at King Charles Street, London. Looks like we'll be at the FCO HQ :smile: Does anyone doing the FCO internship want to find accommodation in London together or anyone else who's got an internship in London for that matter?

Congrats - and see you there!

I know a number of fellow law students who regularly complete City Vac. Schemes suggested staying in London Uni Halls of Residences over summer. But i'm going to wait to hear from Greg if they have any information before deciding.

I'm hearing July is most likely to be the start date for us at FCO, but is TBC.
Original post by Khodu
:smile: We'll be meeting at the Open Ceremony, I haven't received an email regarding that yet, do you think we'll all be based there? And any ideas on start dates, Ramadan will be starting at the end of June this year and I was hoping to avoid starting around then. I'm just about to email Greg to find out more.

Good luck with finding accomodation, find out from any friends you have in London who have housemates moving back home for the Summer. I'm sure there are loads.

I hope you doo :smile: :crossedf:

Will indeed see you there! Do you when the opening ceremony is? I just replied to the first email we got from the FCO Recruitment Team asking them where the internship is and a lady called Lauren replied saying that it will be at King Charles Street so I guess we'll all be there. Yeah I emailed Greg as well and he said that start date might be 7 July (my 21st :tongue:) but he needs to confirm this with the trainer who is doing the 2 day induction. He also said it will be 6 weeks.

Thanks for the accommodation advice, would be cool to live with SDIP interns though :smile:
Original post by GavanHarrison
Congrats - and see you there!

I know a number of fellow law students who regularly complete City Vac. Schemes suggested staying in London Uni Halls of Residences over summer. But i'm going to wait to hear from Greg if they have any information before deciding.

I'm hearing July is most likely to be the start date for us at FCO, but is TBC.

Congrats too and see you in July! That sounds like a good idea, let me know if you decide to do the halls thing, would be interested in joining you!
Reply 324
Original post by justin7000
Will indeed see you there! Do you when the opening ceremony is? I just replied to the first email we got from the FCO Recruitment Team asking them where the internship is and a lady called Lauren replied saying that it will be at King Charles Street so I guess we'll all be there. Yeah I emailed Greg as well and he said that start date might be 7 July (my 21st :tongue:) but he needs to confirm this with the trainer who is doing the 2 day induction. He also said it will be 6 weeks.

Thanks for the accommodation advice, would be cool to live with SDIP interns though :smile:

From what I read, last year the Opening Ceremony was held on the 13th of June, so around that date?
Do let me know about the accomodation as I might still consider it. :smile:
Reply 325
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I'd really appreciate your help. I've not read up as much as I need too, just because I'm busy with university stuff but come summer I'll definitely do the research. I have a genuine interest in working in some departments, not so much others. I skimmed over the competency document, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not able to provide examples to match those competencies, yet. My CV is literally barren, so my plan this summer is to rack up as much interesting voluntary work I can, and get more involved in societies next academic year. I was wondering though, how do they allocate successful applicants to departments? Or do they not tell you?

That sounds like an awesome plan. My friend who also got a telephone interview (but sadly didn't get through) did not have that much experience (not the reason she was unsuccessful) but she wrote very well and still was successful in getting a telephone interview.

But there are a couple of tests that you would have to do, so make sure you up to speed with those. I know many who just didn't pass the tests.
Reply 326
Original post by vaskkes
Thanks Khodu. I'm traveling next week, hopefully it should be back by then.

My passport came back this morning, what about you?
Reply 327
Original post by Khodu
My passport came back this morning, what about you?

I've just sent mine yesterday as I found out I has pass only on Thursday last week. They received it today so it should be back soon.

I still don't know about my department yet, I'm so curious to know...
Reply 328
Is there a Facebook group for SDIP 2014 yet? If not, shall we set one up?
Reply 329
Original post by rm436

Sounds like a plan :smile:
Reply 330
Can we make it a secret group? Not told anyone about this yet.

Still waiting for my department allocation. I'm hoping to get the department for health but not sure if they're taking on interns. Anyone else know about this?

Looking forward to meeting you guys eventually! :biggrin:
Reply 331
Original post by germanium
Hi Khodu,

I'm a fellow associate, but I was unsuccessful for this but I will apply again next year and apply all that I've learnt. Call me nosy, but I am trying to figure out who you are lol. :biggrin: Are you mentioned on the recent newsletter?

Yes I am :smile: PM me your name? What are you thinking about doing instead now?

Original post by Ny90
Can we make it a secret group? Not told anyone about this yet.

Still waiting for my department allocation. I'm hoping to get the department for health but not sure if they're taking on interns. Anyone else know about this?

Looking forward to meeting you guys eventually! :biggrin:

Looking forward to meeting you too :smile:
Reply 332
Original post by rm436

Sounds like a good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
Going to do some travelling with friends and have two assessment centres lined up :tongue:
Did you not mention that you had a placement in Paris? That sounded really cool

Wow, good luck with your assessment centres and enjoy the travelling.
It upsets me to even think about that placement. It was an amazing opportunity (I didn't think I would get the SDIP at all) but the dates were flexible. Everything was perfect until one stupid legal issue. :frown:
Reply 334
Oh no, well it's an amazing achievement to get into this internship so well done. What went wrong if you don't mind me asking? Because I have applied but haven't found a placement yet.

The firm said I couldn't work for them because I choose to wear a headscarf and was not willing to take it off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 335
Could someone/anyone please add me on Facebook because I can't make the group unless I add at least one friend to it first! Here is my profile: https://www.facebook.com/rosie.melville.3 once someone has added me I will make the group and post it on here.

I'm not sure it's a good idea that we make it secret because then people won't be able to find it, and there must be lots of other people doing SDIP that aren't in this group. What do others think about this?
Reply 336
Original post by rm436
Could someone/anyone please add me on Facebook because I can't make the group unless I add at least one friend to it first! Here is my profile: x once someone has added me I will make the group and post it on here.

I'm not sure it's a good idea that we make it secret because then people won't be able to find it, and there must be lots of other people doing SDIP that aren't in this group. What do others think about this?

I've added you :smile: and I don't mind either way, but I agree with you that it will be easier to find.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 337
Here is the group :smile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/236975076493290/ It's currently 'private' but if people want it to be 'secret' then let me know.
Group-intern email sent by Greg for FCOs. Check inboxes :smile:

GH.
Reply 339
Original post by GavanHarrison
Group-intern email sent by Greg for FCOs. Check inboxes :smile:

GH.

Yay. I need to stop posting here :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending