The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I think we need to remember back to the blurb at the start of the analytical that said it would be testing accuracy and speed.

The pass mark is the percentile rather than percentage. Whether you got one question wrong or more is fine if you are super quick as you will get same result as someone with a slower speed and but a greater accuracy.

I think we can say you be in for a good shout if you get more than 20 right.

It is a little subjective to know whether one is through due to the hurdle nature of the logical test.

Good luck everyone, I am currently preparing for my FSAC, so currently panicking on 2 fronts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@ mc_watson87 - This question doesn't sound familiar at all - makes me wonder if we all had the same analytical test??? Mine had questions referring to fuel prices; ages & grades of employees; company turnovers, etc, etc. Sound familiar to anyone else???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 382
Original post by Muginawa
I think we need to remember back to the blurb at the start of the analytical that said it would be testing accuracy and speed.

The pass mark is the percentile rather than percentage. Whether you got one question wrong or more is fine if you are super quick as you will get same result as someone with a slower speed and but a greater accuracy.

I think we can say you be in for a good shout if you get more than 20 right.

It is a little subjective to know whether one is through due to the hurdle nature of the logical test.

Good luck everyone, I am currently preparing for my FSAC, so currently panicking on 2 fronts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't decide if I thought there was a benefit to working quickly or not. Like it said that about the other tests as well but I don't think you got extra credit for spare time. More that you'd do best if you managed to try everything rather than running out of time. I can't see any indication that there's a benefit to taking less than the full time allocated.
Reply 383
Original post by alibee
I couldn't decide if I thought there was a benefit to working quickly or not. Like it said that about the other tests as well but I don't think you got extra credit for spare time. More that you'd do best if you managed to try everything rather than running out of time. I can't see any indication that there's a benefit to taking less than the full time allocated.

Hi Alibee

The blurb before you take the test stated speed and accuracy were of prominence. 1 hour was more than enough time to complete the test, and the questions were not of any particular difficulty. There is no advantage to being faster, if you are less accurate.

It is a fair way to ensure that people who are efficient and diligent are ranked higher than people who guess.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by Muginawa
Hi Alibee

The blurb before you take the test stated speed and accuracy were of prominence. 1 hour was more than enough time to complete the test, and the questions were not of any particular difficulty. There is no advantage to being faster, if you are less accurate.

It is a fair way to ensure that people who are efficient and diligent are ranked higher than people who guess.

So someone who got, for example, 21 out of 25 in say 30 minutes would be ranked more favourably than someone who got 21 out of 25 in an hour for the analytical test?
(edited 10 years ago)
I applied last year but was unsuccessful and this is still on my account so every time i log in to check my application it says "application unsuccessful" and then feel relieved when i remember it was lasts years.
Reply 386
Original post by blue n white army
I applied last year but was unsuccessful and this is still on my account so every time i log in to check my application it says "application unsuccessful" and then feel relieved when i remember it was lasts years.

What stage did you reach last year?
Original post by gjd1990
What stage did you reach last year?

I can't remember, it might have only been the initial sifting stage or the one after that. It was the first online tests i'd received n i thought it would be a doddle so did it in uni whilst talking to my mates. I certainly learnt a lesson.
Reply 388
Original post by blue n white army
I can't remember, it might have only been the initial sifting stage or the one after that. It was the first online tests i'd received n i thought it would be a doddle so did it in uni whilst talking to my mates. I certainly learnt a lesson.

Well good luck for this year. Hopefully hear some news this week. Guessing from your username that you're from Glasgow?
Original post by gjd1990
Well good luck for this year. Hopefully hear some news this week. Guessing from your username that you're from Glasgow?

Good luck to you too! I'm feeling a lot more confident this year.

Nah Cumbria but i'm a blackburn fan.
Reply 390
Interesting about the speed for the analytical, many posters here seem to have found it pretty straightforward so how will they differentiate...

Will 25/25 in 60 mins be better or worse than 24/25 in 30 minutes?? Presumably better, but who knows?!
Reply 391
They said last year on facebook that a score of over 68% in the end was required to progress, which isn't a massive amount. They gave no indication that there was a benefit to working faster. As the instructions were the same as for the other tests in which there is no incentive to work quicker, other than that it helps you complete the assessment, I'm still not convinced you're better to work faster.
Reply 392
Original post by MegaFizzyMoon
@ mc_watson87 - This question doesn't sound familiar at all - makes me wonder if we all had the same analytical test??? Mine had questions referring to fuel prices; ages & grades of employees; company turnovers, etc, etc. Sound familiar to anyone else???

mine were same. Fuel Prices, Ages & Grades, Group of companies A & B
Reply 393
Mine too. I can't see why they'd give people different tests.

Anyone got any idea of how they are going to let us know about whether we've been successful or not? Email? Update on the CS website?
There was only one test.

I meant the grades and age groups of employees question fuzzymoon.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 395
I do not think speed is assessed, when they say about speed being important it is to reinforce the idea that it is a timed assessment and you still must work fast to complete it. Agreed 60 mins was a long time for the analytical test, but I would say this serves the purpose of filtering out candidates with weak numeracy skills, under less stressful time constraints, ie no excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hertha12
Mine too. I can't see why they'd give people different tests.

Anyone got any idea of how they are going to let us know about whether we've been successful or not? Email? Update on the CS website?

Last year it was both.
If I remember correctly, the "Applicant status" changed and then an e-mail was sent sometime afterwards.
The people who were successful saw a status change before the unsuccessful people.
It may have changed though. Not long to wait now (hopefully!)
Reply 397
Original post by LittleDotty
Last year it was both.
If I remember correctly, the "Applicant status" changed and then an e-mail was sent sometime afterwards.
The people who were successful saw a status change before the unsuccessful people.
It may have changed though. Not long to wait now (hopefully!)

Out of curiosity what does your status read at the moment?
Original post by gjd1990
Out of curiosity what does your status read at the moment?

"Situational Test complete"

You? (You've got me worried now...)

In other news, I just did some digging on last year's thread.

The Applicant Status for stage 2 last year wasn't 'Situational Test complete' it was 'Invited for Assessment'.

Last year the 'successful message' was:
"Applicant Status: Application on hold.
Thank you for attending the recent assessment.
Your application is currently on hold. We are currently reviewing your application and will contact you shortly"
Followed by an e-mail.

There was also a reserve list.

The first post was published on the Friday afternoon at 1.18pm.
Original post by LittleDotty
"Situational Test complete"

You? (You've got me worried now...)

In other news, I just did some digging on last year's thread.

The Applicant Status for stage 2 last year wasn't 'Situational Test complete' it was 'Invited for Assessment'.

Last year the 'successful message' was:
"Applicant Status: Application on hold.
Thank you for attending the recent assessment.
Your application is currently on hold. We are currently reviewing your application and will contact you shortly"
Followed by an e-mail.

There was also a reserve list.

The first post was published on the Friday afternoon at 1.18pm.

Hey dotty,
If they are following the same procedure as last year I'm guessing our application statuses should change by tomorrow/Thursday latest and if we're successful we will hear via email by Friday.
Facebook page says we will find out end of this week/beg next week but in my experience the successful applicants always find out first!

Btw, my app reads situational test complete also ...
Good luck peeps (",)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending