The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxbridge? Who gets in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rubieee
Average is 97% :eek::eek::eek:
So what's the point applying if you have like <95%

It's an average - people have above and people have below :biggrin:.
Original post by Another
If an applicant has applied to Oxbridge, and has already received an offer (Remeber, Oxbridge offers are given out miles ahead of the other Universities, sometimes before they even start their interview lists) then their 2nd/3rd/4th choices are likely to reject before interview. Yes, it's an excellent student, but the chances that they will reject Cambridge and firm Kings College is pretty much 0%. There are other candidates that will appreciate the offer.

I'm yet to see an oxbridge candidate who ONLY focused on their academic work and did nothing extra curricular (pretty much all of them did Duke of Edingborough Silver/Gold or had a position of leadership), but that could just be my area.

so what you're saying is that if I apply to Oxford, King's, Sheffield and Imperial/UCL, I'd get rejected? this is only if I get excellent A2 grades btw.
One thing that strikes me is the number of 10 A* prospective medics who instantly decide to go for Oxbridge? Have you checked out the style of the course? Do you want the intense scientific background they give you, as well as the lack of early clinical exposure. I'm not saying oxbridge isn't good. As we all know they're amazing institutions but you HAVE to consider:
Course Style,
City,
Other universities,
Distance from home etc
before you rush into choosing medicine at cambridge maybe you should put some more thought into it. This is a huge decision and there's no need to make it so soon, and to be honest our school had the "oxbridge preparation" and it doesn't substitute for personal research.
Original post by jenigma
so what you're saying is that if I apply to Oxford, King's, Sheffield and Imperial/UCL, I'd get rejected? this is only if I get excellent A2 grades btw.

If you have an early Kings interview, chances are you'd get an offer or rejection from them, before you get one from Oxford!
Original post by jenigma

That person you quoted clearly has no idea about applying, given they gave facts that were completely untrue.
Original post by PythianLegume
That person you quoted clearly has no idea about applying, given they gave facts that were completely untrue.

yeah I know, I just wanted to see what more junk they could come up with for da lols
Original post by Natalie21
If you have an early Kings interview, chances are you'd get an offer or rejection from them, before you get one from Oxford!

what do you mean? my 4 other unis will reject me because I am applying to Oxford?
Original post by jenigma
what do you mean? my 4 other unis will reject me because I am applying to Oxford?

If you look back and read the posts I wasn't the person who said that!
I'm actually saying the opposite! Kings are likely to make their decision on you, before Oxford does!
If you look back and read the posts I wasn't the person who said that!
I'm actually saying the opposite! Kings are likely to make their decision on you, before Oxford does!

I understand what you're saying now (: Are you a medical student?
Original post by jenigma
I understand what you're saying now (: Are you a medical student?

Medicine fresher, starting at Cambridge on Sunday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Medicine fresher, starting at Cambridge on Sunday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask what your UMS was? :smile:
Original post by rubieee
Can I ask what your UMS was? :smile:

97 average :smile:.
Reply 52
The trouble with this, also, is that it's so competitive, luck can play a role. The better your credentials, the less you'll need it I suppose.
Reply 53

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure I've seen these figures quoted quite a lot.

Its based mostly on this presentation so you can judge for yourself if you want!
I believe most people say above 90 UMS means you're likely to get an interview (assuming everything else on your application is fine), and the average offer holder has 95 UMS average. But this is a little higher for Medics and is more likely to be around 97 UMS. So basically over 90UMS is preferably!

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure I've seen these figures quoted quite a lot.

I think 96 is the median UMS for successful medicine applicants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think 96 is the median UMS for successful medicine applicants.

Well I was only one UMS off :smile:.
97 average :smile:.

what do you mean by average UMS? and where else did you apply/outcomes?
Original post by jenigma
what do you mean by average UMS? and where else did you apply/outcomes?

Cambridge look at your UMS average across your 3 most relevant AS levels.
Reply 58
Cambridge look at your UMS average across your 3 most relevant AS levels.

If i am doing chemistry, biology, physics, math and further math, which three they will look at? for medicine?
Original post by JackTeh96
If i am doing chemistry, biology, physics, math and further math, which three they will look at? for medicine?

They will look at your Science UMS primarily as far as I know, which is the average of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths/Further Maths (with Maths and Further Maths being considered as one subject).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending