The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Go to a supermarket meat counter, and ask for "tongue". You can still buy it, and it's lovely!

It is animal tongue (usually ox or cow (beef)), but it's been pressed and had things done to it.
Reply 2
Juno
Go to a supermarket meat counter, and ask for "tongue". You can still buy it, and it's lovely!

It is animal tongue (usually ox or cow (beef)), but it's been pressed and had things done to it.

That does not sound nice. Anyone tasted it before? Is it nice?
Reply 3
Xenon
That does not sound nice. Anyone tasted it before? Is it nice?

Yep. It's lovely. Normally considered a delicacy due to the fact that it's fairly expensive.

The concept of what you're eating may be revolting (as it is with all meat) but it tastes damn good! :p:
Reply 4
It is yummy! Ox tongue is nicer, but more expensive. But you might as well try it if you're curious.
Reply 5
It's the concept of eating tongue that I can't deal with.... Along with liver :confused: ...
Reply 6
But then when you eat meat, you're eating their muscles, when you eat sausages you're eating intestines, and with chicken nuggets who knows what's in them? :p: I've never tried tongue myself (too expensive!) though.
Reply 7
Hmmm, if it was expensive, how come tongue was always in the books in ample? Minor thing I know! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Xenon
Hmmm, if it was expensive, how come tongue was always in the books in ample? Minor thing I know! :biggrin:

Because it was a long long time ago when everyone drank ginger beer. Plus it was tinned, and tinned stuff is usually cheaper.
Reply 9
I always used to wonder about that!

They always ate "potted meat", "tongue" and potatoes with butter.

I think they ate these expensive foods because they were all rich kids. Blyton herself was quite well off so i think she just wrote the kids in the same class as herself. I mean, come on, boarding school or houses by the seaside in the 1950s werent cheap.. they mustve had well off parents.
And the kids had **** all to do all day except explore the moores and cycle down to Mrs Bessie's ice cream parlour.
Reply 11
I've taken some food ideas from her lol.

The kids used to have tinned salmon and pineapple together - sounds disgusting..but it's AMAZING on top of pizza! I highly recommend it! :biggrin:
Reply 12
I loves them books and I always wanted to go to boarding school like in the naughtiest girl.
But I used to wonder why they were so 'ummmm... Ginger beer, scotch eggs, potted meat'.
Why didn't she make these kids normal ('ummmmm..... chocolate, chips, pizza')
Reply 13
Xenon
I;ve got a question for any of you who used to read enid blyton books, which I have been wondering about for a while. Often, the children in enid blyton's books would eat tinned tongue! Does that mean that they are eating the tongue of an animal or is it something else?

Damn kids, don't believe them. Freakin genius dog always, and a "Let's all play in the hay" attitude.
Plus the sterotypes: typical 'elder brother' role, clever fellow. Then there's the slightly angsty one. Then the timid girl. And in the case of famous five, the bisexual girl. Otherwise it was the strong independant woman. Hmm.
I heard that teachers are not allowed to read most of Enid Blyton's books to pupils, as they are considered racist (but I may be wrong).
Reply 15
yes, thats true, i also heard that some of them are being changed. Shadow the Sheepdog, which i read in year 4 had some gypsies in it, and apparently the language used wasn't very PC, although i cant rememberexactly what was said :smile:
Reply 16
AngryJellyfish
I heard that teachers are not allowed to read most of Enid Blyton's books to pupils, as they are considered racist (but I may be wrong).

No, they're been massacred and all the possibly slightly racist bits are gone
It's ok.
Juno
No, they're been massacred and all the possibly slightly racist bits are gone

Bt us cool peoples have the originals :five:
Reply 19

Can you speak Norweigen?

Latest

Trending

Trending