The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford as an undergrad at age 21?

I had troubles during my GCSE's along with attending a bad school. I came out with a couple of As/A*s but mostly Bs. I took a year out and went to college at 17 but had extenuating circumstances (family issues and pretty severe mental health problems) so pretty much did a few AS exams (Got As but did not complete anything in terms of actual AS qualifications)). Then at 19 I went back to school to take my A2 year and sit a load of AS exams (to actually complete the AS levels as well) during the same year (Big challenge!, by this time my circumstances have changed hugely, I am ok and motivated now) I came out with AAAA at AS and A*A*A* overall at A2. I know my chances would be extremely slim if I choose to apply next year. I have spent my time out after 18 working as a mixologist bartender (a side passion), shadowing research at a credible Russell group in my city, attending public lectures and sed University, tutoring, and rowing.

So, is it worth applying? I don't mean " hey buddy, you have nothing to lose right? go for it!" applying. I mean would I have a half way decent shot if had all the other bases covered (entrance exam for my subject, PS, references, ect)

I would be applying for human sciences or biomedical sciences btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by $ Heisenberg $
I had troubles during my GCSE's along with attending a bad school. I came out with a couple of As/A*s but mostly Bs. I took a year out and went to college at 17 but had extenuating circumstances (family issues and pretty severe mental health problems) so pretty much did a few AS exams (Got As but did not complete anything in terms of actual AS qualifications)). Then at 19 I went back to school to take my A2 year and sit a load of AS exams (to actually complete the AS levels as well) during the same year (Big challenge!, by this time my circumstances have changed hugely, I am ok and motivated now) I came out with AAAA at AS and A*A*A* overall at A2. I know my chances would be extremely slim if I choose to apply next year. I have spent my time out after 18 working as a mixologist bartender (a side passion), shadowing research at a credible Russell group in my city, attending public lectures and sed University, tutoring, and rowing.

So, is it worth applying? I don't mean " hey buddy, you have nothing to lose right? go for it!" applying. I mean would I have a half way decent shot if had all the other bases covered (entrance exam for my subject, PS, references, ect)

I would be applying for human sciences or biomedical sciences btw.

Your circumstances are quite complicated and it might be worth making those clear in your application to explain the staggered A-level dates, but overall your profile is strong and yes you would stand as decent a chance as anyone else, arguably better than average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending