The Student Room Group

2014 Nursing QUB - Anyone applying?

Hello All,

I am a 32 year old Mummy of a 4 year old little boy. I am a single parent and work full time hours across 2 jobs at present. I have a Biomedical Eng 2:1 degree which I graduated from in 2006. Since having my son I have been doing part time jobs to work better around him but now he is at school the majority of the time it is easier for me to now re-train. My passion has always been Midwifery. But they are now asking for 5 B's at GCSE level I have only 2 B's the rest are C's. That would mean I would have to sit 3 GCSEs at £90 pounds each. This wasn't an option as I just couldn't afford that.

So after many a sleepless night...... I have decided to pursue Nursing. I currently work with Children from 2 -10 year olds and I would say I have skills in working with children and well as being a mummy! So I was thinking about applying for Children's Nursing and Adult nursing. I was wondering if anyone else is applying for 2014 intake? We could maybe support each other in the application and hopefully interview stages! :-) I would love to hear from you....
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please ring the admissions for the uni for midwifery. Your 2-1 should more than cancel out gcse grades??
Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 2
Hello Gustavus, Thanks for your reply. I talked to them and they said that they have to short list using GCSE's so that means I wont even be short listed! I was so gutted. Maybe I should ring again to double check though....
Reply 3
That rationale sounds ridiculous!

Also as you know year on year grade inflation etc etc!

Is there another uni close by that you could apply to?
Also would consider ringing the mature students officer at the SU. Admissions normally have all sorts of discretion who they give places to. Sometimes it's just a case of finding the right person at the right time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 4
I know, I am so gutted though. Rang them yesterday and they confirmed that I wouldn't even be short listed :frown: I am so disappointed! I just feel like I need to get started as I am not getting any younger!!! They lady said there are 35 placed with over 800 applications every year..... So its incredibly competitive!!!!! :-(
Reply 5
Original post by Chezzabella
I know, I am so gutted though. Rang them yesterday and they confirmed that I wouldn't even be short listed :frown: I am so disappointed! I just feel like I need to get started as I am not getting any younger!!! They lady said there are 35 placed with over 800 applications every year..... So its incredibly competitive!!!!! :-(

Hi Chezzabella

I find that astonishing that your 2:1 doesn't out way the need for GCSE's. To be fair I have heard that places for any of the nursing degree are hard to get. You might be best served to try and get your GCSE's some how. Maybe they can take the payments in installments?

I want to do Midwifery, but I know there is only Queen's for this. So my back up is Adult in either Queens or Ulster. Surely I will get a place on one of them?!!!!

3 years ago, when I lived in England, I got offered a place in Liverpool Uni for medicine and I turned it down. I have regretted it ever since. It was going to be too much of a financial burned on my husband and 2 kids.

Even after 3 years, I still haven't shook the regret, so after a move back to Northern Ireland, I have finally decided to have another go. Medicine in Northern Ireland is out of the question so, I have to satisfy myself with Nursing. I'm starting my Access course on Monday, so am aiming for Sept 2015.

I wish you the best of luck, you'll maybe be year 2 when I'm a fresher xx
Original post by Chezzabella

you should start an access course asap you can do it part time, it's is the equivalent to 5 GCSEs and 3 Alevels
Reply 7
Hi all,

I am applying for nursing this year. Both for QUB and UU. I finished the Access in May past, graduating with Distinction. I had applied for the 2013 intake for Midwifery, however my P.S let me down for getting an interview :'(. I did get past on qualifications. Have decided to apply for nursing simply because it has more opportunities with it.

Reading above the fact that you now need 5 GCSE's is kind of a bummer, does that also apply to Nursing? I only have 4 and rest are C's.

I am also a mum of two young children. Oldest is 3 1/2 and youngest is 1 1/2.
Hi :smile:

I'm also applying for nursing this year.
I have the gcses just not sure about the a level side of things?
I have also looked at the access course but im waiting to hear from the university if this is something I definitely need to do?
I realllllly want to do learning disability nursing and have thought of nothing else for the past year.
Having only recently moved to Northern Ireland im unsure of what courses etc I can take and where?
I've recently completed my QCF (NVQ) 2 in Health and Social Care so im hoping this helps also.
Seems incredibly competitive these days for nursing, yet all I see in the media is how we are short of nurses!
I'll be applying as a mature applicant so fingers crossed I can get in :smile:
Everything crossed I suppose.
Good luck everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by deviant182
Hi :smile:

I'm also applying for nursing this year.
I have the gcses just not sure about the a level side of things?
I have also looked at the access course but im waiting to hear from the university if this is something I definitely need to do?
I realllllly want to do learning disability nursing and have thought of nothing else for the past year.
Having only recently moved to Northern Ireland im unsure of what courses etc I can take and where?
I've recently completed my QCF (NVQ) 2 in Health and Social Care so im hoping this helps also.
Seems incredibly competitive these days for nursing, yet all I see in the media is how we are short of nurses!
I'll be applying as a mature applicant so fingers crossed I can get in :smile:
Everything crossed I suppose.
Good luck everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is hard go get in to. For queens i was told by the university that they had a 45% increase in application for both Nursing and Midwifery courses. It crazy
x
Yeh it just seems daft when all you read about is how nurses arent doing their jobs or short of nurses etc. Why not open up more places?
I just want to know what I can do to improve my chances as well, as moving to n.i from england the access courses etc are different as well as how the trusts function etc.
So if anyone can shed any light on these id really appreciate it!
Thanks
Original post by deviant182
Yeh it just seems daft when all you read about is how nurses arent doing their jobs or short of nurses etc. Why not open up more places?
I just want to know what I can do to improve my chances as well, as moving to n.i from england the access courses etc are different as well as how the trusts function etc.
So if anyone can shed any light on these id really appreciate it!
Thanks

Hi Hun

Can I ask a daft question? Why would you want to come over to Queen's to study, when the access to uni is much easier on the mainland. There are only 35 Midwifery places per year and 450 nursing places across all 4 branches and that includes the 2 adult nursing intakes.

The competition is less of a challenge on the mainland.
I came over here in August as my boyfriend is over here studying and its cheaper for him here than England.
So im applying to Queens as well as uni in Scotland and England as well. Just would be easier if I got in here but doesnt matter either way really.
All I wana do is my nursing no matter where. But competition is fierce for courses no matter what uni these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do midwifery do NOT do child nursing. It will not allow you to do midwifery.
You have to do adult nursing and then the shortened midwifery course. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Applying this year to queens for the 2nd year, I found great support from tsr thread last year so hope to do the same this year :-) we can all help each other stay calm when it comes to the stressful waiting stages :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Butternuts
Applying this year to queens for the 2nd year, I found great support from tsr thread last year so hope to do the same this year :-) we can all help each other stay calm when it comes to the stressful waiting stages :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your story from lasts year? When did you first hear back from queens? Did you get an interview etc? It's a stressful wait it seems!
Reply 16
It's a very long wait, people hear if they get interviews in drips and drabs from feb-April. They send out interviews at random. I sent my application away 1st nov last year and heard about interview end of March via letter from queens. interview was one of the last in April. We then found out via ucas in May if successful/unsuccessful. I was unsuccessful this year. a few weeks later I then got a letter about feedback I requested on points I want wrong but it was very generalised. I then got a letter after another few weeks saying I had a place on their reserve list. I had access forms etc to fill in. I then didn't get the grade I needed by 1 mark! So I never found out if I would have got a place or not if I had of got that extra one mark! (Long story, lol but last year I didn't realise how Long and draining the wait would be so I hope it means people will be able to not stress if they don't hear along with the first batch of people to be interviewed) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
OOOOhh No Chezzabella,

I am literally writing up my personal statement for Midwifery and thought with my previous study I would be allowed to enter. I am missing one GCSE but have an access course and HND in Science.. I am gutted reading this.. Nursing really isnt the field I wanted to go into.. I am going to phone them tomorrow as well. If I hear anything different I will let you know..
Original post by gemini86
OOOOhh No Chezzabella,

I am literally writing up my personal statement for Midwifery and thought with my previous study I would be allowed to enter. I am missing one GCSE but have an access course and HND in Science.. I am gutted reading this.. Nursing really isnt the field I wanted to go into.. I am going to phone them tomorrow as well. If I hear anything different I will let you know..

Your access will cover your gcses depending on what percentage you got over all
Reply 19
Hi Everyone! :smile:

This is my second time applying for nursing. I applied last year to both QUB and UU, got to the interview stages for both universities, however was unsuccessful for UU but received a conditional offer for Adult nursing the February intake in QUB. Having got the A-levels they required i unfortunately didn't get my maths GCSE for the second time, therefore i missed out on my place. I'm currently re-taking my maths GCSE and have applied again this year!

Good luck to everyone and hopefully this is the year for us all :smile:!
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending