The Student Room Group

Buying a Moped at 16

Hi Guys, I am turning 16 in a couple of months and I am interested in purchasing a moped to help me get around. First of all, however, I need to persuade my dad to let me buy one as he will think it is too dangerous - are there any good statistics or stories to help persuade my dad that I won't die on the roads? Also, how much will it cost me roughly? I have been doing a bit of research and found a moped for around £500 + the insurance will cost me around £400 and then of course I need to factor in the costs to get the CBT and, obviously, petrol costs. I would be very grateful if any of you guys could help me out. (P.s. sorry for writing this in one large block, my enter button is not working so I can't split it up into paragraphs)

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

For people looking for cheap moped insurance, shop around! Use the link below to compare insurance quotes and find a cheap one:

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Bigger discussion on moped insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Unfortunately your Dad may have a point about the safety of mopeds. You are on two wheels which means you have to factor in balance. The body of a car also acts as kind of a cage, and as there's no such thing on a moped you're much more likely to get hurt. Obviously, statistics are half the story. Most people who ride on mopeds are sensible on them and are safe, and you can get hurt worse most of the time on a man-powered bicycle. It's the law that you wear a helmet, and it's a good idea to wear some sort of body armour, so you may as well make the investment. You could also see if the police run a moped safety course near your area, because you'll want to know how to jump off and not fall into traffic, for example.

Cost-wise (I've never had the money to buy a moped so I don't have proper experience), it's about £4000 for a good enough moped and a couple years' third party insurance. The tank of a moped is usually something like 4 litres, so petrol won't cost as much as you might think. Are you looking at a Direct Bikes moped? If so, you may want to make the investment for something about £2000/£3000, because Direct Bikes are known to be quite bad and unstable. Insurance options will be limited too as you'll need to insure it on the VIN, because they make you go to a DVLA office and apply for a number plate yourself, which you need insurance for. Autotrader have a lot of cheap-ish well-known brands (Peugeot, Suzuki, Honda, etc. are well-respected), and you can sometimes get a brand new 50cc moped for a low price (this is the cheapest I could find but you might want to look at other options because I don't think the reviews are too good for that).

As for the parental block, you'll need to assure them that you can be safe on a moped. A 50cc goes at, like, 30mph, and you can't use it on motorways, so that may be a plus. Wearing a good amount of protection would also calm them down. If you have the money you can just buy it, your parents don't need to give you permission, but that'd hardly make them trust you so if they don't think you should have it then you'll have to wait until you can get driving lessons (if they're paying for driving lessons then taking the bus for another year seems like a cheaper optiion really. A £500 50cc moped hardly makes you look like some badass bike gang member)

I hope I helped, there's a guide to buying motorbikes somewhere here so if you need any more help look at that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bonoahx
You are on two wheels which means you have to factor in balance.

Bikes are self balancing, so when you're moving you don't have such issues.

Original post by Bonoahx
You could also see if the police run a moped safety course near your area, because you'll want to know how to jump off and not fall into traffic, for example.

You'd need a CBT and a test first, so it's not something to be advising on now

Original post by Bonoahx
Cost-wise (I've never had the money to buy a moped so I don't have proper experience), it's about £4000 for a good enough moped and a couple years' third party insurance.

You can get em from £500, and insurance is likely to be the same or less, so your figure is vastly inflated

Original post by Bonoahx
The tank of a moped is usually something like 4 litres

Well, Ugsywoo's is 13, so they're all going to be about 10ish actually.

Original post by Bonoahx
Are you looking at a Direct Bikes moped? If so, you may want to make the investment for something about £2000/£3000, because Direct Bikes are known to be quite bad and unstable.
All Chinese bikes are made from cheese

Original post by Bonoahx
If you have the money you can just buy it, your parents don't need to give you permission

Yeah, great idea!

Original post by Bonoahx
I hope I helped, there's a guide to buying motorbikes somewhere here so if you need any more help look at that.

This is the only useful bit of your post. OP, ignore this muppet and click here.
Reply 3
Get yourself a copy of the highway code and maybe a driving theory disc so that you can show your dad that you are doing your homework and are not just doing the minimim required to get yourself on the road (CBT.)

I'm not sure about statistics but it will be better for you to start with a moped than a 1 litre car when you are 17, as it allows you to build up your road sense while you haven't got much power behind you.

I would also advise you not to sit your moped driving test and just to ride it with L plates until you get a car. You get a full moped licence with a car test pass, subject to the completion of CBT which you will have done.
Original post by Juno

This is the only useful bit of your post. OP, ignore this muppet and click here.

Bad day? I know you're trying to get rep and all, but there's no need to be aggressive, I don't know everything there is to know about everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bonoahx
Bad day? I know you're trying to get rep and all, but there's no need to be aggressive, I don't know everything there is to know about everything.

Darling, i don't give a **** about rep. I just hate people giving advice when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. You don't need to know everything about everything - but if you don't know it, don't post rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Darling, i don't give a **** about rep.

Right. Perhaps we should calm down? Firstly you never actually answered the question, and secondly being arrogant isn't going to get anyone anywhere. I shall leave this and rescind my objection to your omniscient knowledge of motorcycles.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bonoahx
Right. Perhaps we should calm down? Firstly you never actually answered the question, and secondly being arrogant isn't going to get anyone anywhere. I shall leave this and rescind my objection to your omniscient knowledge of motorcycles.

You were wrong pal, just get over it. It's good when people get called out for being wrong because it prevents the spread of misinformation.
Original post by Little Boots
You were wrong pal, just get over it. It's good when people get called out for being wrong because it prevents the spread of misinformation.

It's cool, I just thought he could've been slightly nicer about it, is all.

I'm sorry for derailing the thread.
Reply 9
Original post by Bonoahx
It's cool, I just thought he could've been slightly nicer about it, is all.

I'm sorry for derailing the thread.

Girls ride bikes too you know.
Original post by Juno
Girls ride bikes too you know.

She..

I'm not doing very well for myself, here.
Hi OP,
I've had my moped for just over 2 years now and do not regret it at all! Mine cost around £900 brand new and my insurance was about £200 in the first year and just over £100 this year (might have been cheaper considering it was dual insurance with my dad on it too).
I would advise that you take your CBT first - they can provide a bike- just to see how you get on with it and then, after you've passed, consider buying one.
They're a really cheap, economic way of getting from A to B. My moped had a 5-6 litre petrol tank and I could go to school every day for a week (10-15minute journey) on about 1 tank full.
Hope this helps
Reply 12
I would go for something 20 or so years old and dirt cheap, along with some spanners. I bought mine for £150, CBT was £85, and insurance quotes come up around £50 but I'm a good bit older than you. MOT is £30 a year, tax is £17.

You can get a suitable lid for £30-40, a jacket, gloves and trousers will eat up a surprising amount more.

I would highly recommend getting something with indicators and a brake light. I get by without but car drivers are blinder than you think.

Having saved a heap of cash by following the above, spend some money on more training. I was horrified how little was covered in the CBT.
Reply 13
Original post by 345rty
I would go for something 20 or so years old and dirt cheap, along with some spanners. I bought mine for £150, CBT was £85, and insurance quotes come up around £50 but I'm a good bit older than you. MOT is £30 a year, tax is £17.

You can get a suitable lid for £30-40, a jacket, gloves and trousers will eat up a surprising amount more.

I would highly recommend getting something with indicators and a brake light. I get by without but car drivers are blinder than you think.

Having saved a heap of cash by following the above, spend some money on more training. I was horrified how little was covered in the CBT.

Thanks, can you recommend any good places to get old mopeds? I live in Swindon which is about an hour away from Bristol. I've worked it out and I will probably have a maximum of £500 to spend on a moped but, as you said, if I could get a cheaper moped then I would have more money to spend on extra training which would be very good. Thanks guys, this has proved much help :smile:
I don't know anything about mopeds or bikes, but I think that if you live somewhere where biking is more common, and there are less cars on the road then the chances of injuries would be reduced. Biking in a quiet town as opposed to in a busy town would be far better.
Reply 15
Original post by samjd341
Thanks, can you recommend any good places to get old mopeds? I live in Swindon which is about an hour away from Bristol. I've worked it out and I will probably have a maximum of £500 to spend on a moped but, as you said, if I could get a cheaper moped then I would have more money to spend on extra training which would be very good. Thanks guys, this has proved much help :smile:

Ebay, car and classic (can be pricey but some bargains come up).
I would definatley get a moped
I have one and its just freedom !
Reply 17
mopeds are useless. They are slow, dangerous, slow, crapply made, oh did i say slow?. The problem is everything will be overtaking you so you will be forced into the ditch every three seconds. Also in traffic they have no power so can't get out of you down way let alone fast moving traffic. A death wish. Wait until you are 19 and can afford atleast a 300cc motorbike. Or even better wait until you are 17 and get a car.
Original post by samjd341

I would advise looking for a reputable brand.

Yamaha and Honda being the primary two.
Admittedly it would result in you having to buy used, with the potential of having 10k miles on the clock already; but I can assure you that you're better off doing this, than getting some unknown chinese brand moped, of which would spend far more time (and a lot more money) in the garage. A well looked after Japanese moped, with miles on the clock will last you a very long time.

I'd look on both AutoTrader, and also MCN bikes for sale.
Last resort - Gumtree. (Proceed with caution though.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tg1998
The problem is everything will be overtaking you so you will be forced into the ditch every three seconds.

Why would this be the case? If someone wishes to overtake, you stand your ground and keep your positioning in the road.

Original post by tg1998
Also in traffic they have no power so can't get out of you down way let alone fast moving traffic.

They're rather nippy really. I guess it depends on what roads OP will be using the 'ped on really. If it's merely for a commute/school run on 30 roads, it'd be alright. Anything else would not be advisable though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending