The Student Room Group

Massive spider in my bedroom.

I think there's something seriously wrong with me. I was chasing this thing for an hour, my scream woke my mum up who sort of helped me whilst being really angry at me . When I see a spider I cry, shake and feel like I'm going to pass out. I can't find the spider in my room, it's hidden somewhere, so I'm sleeping downstairs on the couch.

I hate being like this. I can sleep here tonight but I only seem to lose the panic when I visually see it gone, so I will probably feel sick about going into my room even if it's left.

I know it sounds pathetic, my parents get really angry at me and shout at me for being so pathetic, but I just can't help it!

Does anyone else freak out as much as me if there is a spider in their bedroom? How do you deal?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My ex girlfriend used to call on me to tell me to travel to her's to get rid of spiders on occasion. So no, you're not alone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't worry and even if it's still in the room, it will hide from you.

Spoiler

Reply 3
This is why cricket bats were invented. Lets hope you find it before it gives birth. (All big spiders are females you know)
I don't mind the little ones so much. If the spider is big, I'll freeze up when I see it and it'll take me anywhere between 1 and 5 hours to summon the courage to get rid of it.

I once went to grab a tissue from a tissue box with my mouth and, on the side facing away from me, there was a spider. Only noticed once I'd bot down. Scary stuff :tongue:

I also get really paranoid about them being around when I think about them :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Does anyone else freak out as much as me if there is a spider in their bedroom? How do you deal?

You put a glass on top of it, you slide a piece of paper under the glass, and you throw the spider out of a door or window. Easy-peasy.

Seriously, if this is a regular problem, just keep an anti-spider kit (glass + paper) handy in your bedroom.
Yep, my reaction sounds pretty similar to that despite typically being about six feet taller than it. I usually throw heavy objects at them whilst running backwards and swearing.
Original post by Pastaferian
You put a glass on top of it, you slide a piece of paper under the glass, and you throw the spider out of a door or window. Easy-peasy.

Seriously, if this is a regular problem, just keep an anti-spider kit (glass + paper) handy in your bedroom.

Er, you think someone that scared of spiders is going to get that close to it in the first place?
Original post by Jackal The
Er, you think someone that scared of spiders is going to get that close to it in the first place?

That's why I favour the Dyson (can't do it at night though) :tongue:

Or, better yet, get someone else to sort it

She said she chased it for an hour, so yes, I do.
Reply 10
Original post by Airfairy
I think there's something seriously wrong with me. I was chasing this thing for an hour, my scream woke my mum up who sort of helped me whilst being really angry at me . When I see a spider I cry, shake and feel like I'm going to pass out. I can't find the spider in my room, it's hidden somewhere, so I'm sleeping downstairs on the couch.

I hate being like this. I can sleep here tonight but I only seem to lose the panic when I visually see it gone, so I will probably feel sick about going into my room even if it's left.

I know it sounds pathetic, my parents get really angry at me and shout at me for being so pathetic, but I just can't help it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The spider is small, cannot harm you and is probably ten times more afraid of you than you are of it. On the other hand, you can kill it and are much bigger. Spiders tend to avoid people and beds they sleep on, so you can sleep calmly in your bedroom. It will avoid you any way it can. When and if you see it, you can throw it out with a piece of paper.
Get your old pal Henry to help out.

Original post by Pastaferian
She said she chased it for an hour, so yes, I do.

Probably throwing stuff at it, I imagine. If it makes her 'cry, shake, and feel like [she's] going to pass out' she's either hugely exaggerating or wouldn't actually get that close to it, dude.
Spiders or ok. It's daddy long legs I don't like as they can fly. Basically look like flying spiders.
That is an actual phobia. I know a lot of people claim to have a phobia of a lot of things, particularly spiders, but that's what an actual phobia is like. You can get hypnotherapy and things like that to help, just so that you can deal with it better.
Probably throwing stuff at it, I imagine. If it makes her 'cry, shake, and feel like [she's] going to pass out' she's either hugely exaggerating or wouldn't actually get that close to it, dude.

Well, until she tries it, we'll never know.
Small ones - no problem. There's one living on the corner of my ceiling quite happily at the moment. Big ones, the hairy ones with the thick legs that move really fast - nopenopenope.
For anyone suggesting the glass method- don't do it unless you're lightening quick.

Reply 18
:biggrin:
Original post by pinda.college
For anyone suggesting the glass method- don't do it unless you're lightening quick.

What the **** is that man? :biggrin:
Original post by desdemonata
That is an actual phobia. I know a lot of people claim to have a phobia of a lot of things, particularly spiders, but that's what an actual phobia is like. You can get hypnotherapy and things like that to help, just so that you can deal with it better.

Yes. There is a world of difference between just not liking 'icky' things like bugs that so many women particularly get hysterical over. Even if you admire spiders for their intelligence, beauty and amazing webs, even if you are not ignorant of them, even if you like everything else with lots of legs and scuttles, if you become paralysed with fear and can't breathe then THATS a real phobia. I can't even kill the tiny ones yet will pick up stag beetles and giant African land snails, play with frogs and stick insects etc

It's debilitating. I cannot go anywhere near overhanging trees or bushes or sit on garden furniture because of the fear of a spider hiding on/in it. I check every room in my house for spiders, particularly the toilet, for 10-30 seconds as I enter etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending