The Student Room Group

Grade 8 violin help!! How long should I practice?

Hi everyone! So my grade 8 violin exam is in 2 months and I've been really lazy recently with practice but the bill for the exam came in yesterday and it freaked me out because the exam is so soon! How many hours should I practice every day if I want to get a good mark and what should I be practicing ie. should I be doing studies as well as scales and how much time should I spend on scales/ pieces etc. Anyone who plays music please tell me what you do to prepare for an exam. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean - I did my Grade 7 piano recently alongside my year 10 exams (it could have been a lot worse though!) so I started neglecting practice sometimes! Ideally you should be doing about an hour or more a day at this level with the exam so soon, but you've got 8 weeks to get everything sorted so you should be ok. A good thing to do is to do bits and pieces - know what sections in your pieces you have to practise and in between pieces of homework and things, spend 5-10 minutes getting that one bar exactly right. You could easily clock up an hour every day by doing bits of practising like this - and get all the dodgy bars sorted out as well! Similarly, play a scale for 5 minutes continuously in between bits of homework. If you haven't got time to have a full practise session, i.e. playing everything through, don't waste those 5-10 minutes playing a piece through - that won't get you anywhere. Use them to work on the bits you're really not confident on. Remember to do some practise on the sight reading and aural as well if you have time, but you'll get more marks with good scales and pieces, so try to focus on those (particularly as with grade 8 you will have done sight reading and aural 7 times before!) Sorry for the long post but good luck, I'm sure it will be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ChocolateMelody
I know what you mean - I did my Grade 7 piano recently alongside my year 10 exams (it could have been a lot worse though!) so I started neglecting practice sometimes! Ideally you should be doing about an hour or more a day at this level with the exam so soon, but you've got 8 weeks to get everything sorted so you should be ok. A good thing to do is to do bits and pieces - know what sections in your pieces you have to practise and in between pieces of homework and things, spend 5-10 minutes getting that one bar exactly right. You could easily clock up an hour every day by doing bits of practising like this - and get all the dodgy bars sorted out as well! Similarly, play a scale for 5 minutes continuously in between bits of homework. If you haven't got time to have a full practise session, i.e. playing everything through, don't waste those 5-10 minutes playing a piece through - that won't get you anywhere. Use them to work on the bits you're really not confident on. Remember to do some practise on the sight reading and aural as well if you have time, but you'll get more marks with good scales and pieces, so try to focus on those (particularly as with grade 8 you will have done sight reading and aural 7 times before!) Sorry for the long post but good luck, I'm sure it will be fine :smile:

Thank you so much! I love your idea about practicing scales in between homework because sometimes it feels like it's impossible to fit music practice in on top of everything else. I think you're right about making practice more effective as well, I will definitely try all of your suggestions out! Thanks so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Good luck! I have my grade 8 piano and violin this year so I know how you feel! I think it depends on how confident you are for the exam; I know for my grade 8 oboe I left it very last minute - like three weeks before the exam but I was really ready to take it and knew my scales anyway and had done grade 8 Aural tests before. I would really recommend getting a CD for Aural test practice as grade 8 is really difficult. Scales are a definite to get under your fingers, these should be easy marks. I always but names of the scales onto strips of paper and pull them out of a bag and go through them all each day. If I make a mistake I then come back to it at the end and practice until I can play it three times consecutively. And I agree with ChocolateMelody, practice the bits of the pieces you need to practice SLOWLY. I struggle so much with tuning on the violin so if there is a bar that goes out of tune just strip away the rhythm and bowing and play it one note at a time. Just don't panic - eight weeks is plenty of time. What pieces are you playing out of interest? :biggrin:
I think it is the quality of the practice rather than the quantity of it that matters. If you can make practicing enjoyable then that is even better. So how do you make the quality of your practicing count and be enjoyable?

1) Don't make your practice sessions too long. Shorter sessions more often, is better than a long single session. You will concentrate better and it won't seem like a long boring chore.

2) Don't do the same routine every time: i.e. exercises, then scales, then pieces, then sight-reading. Concentrate on a particular area i.e. a hard section of a piece, or the scales you have the most difficulty with.

3) Don't leave all your practicing to the last minute before the exam. You want to be in the position that you won't be nervous because you haven't practiced enough. Being nervous because you are performing is natural but being nervous because you have haven't practiced enough is destructive and it will almost lose you marks.

4) Perform your pieces in front of family, friends etc. Apart from giving you confidence, it will allow you to point out your weaknesses in a way that lone practicing doesn't.
Reply 5
Original post by Europa192
Good luck! I have my grade 8 piano and violin this year so I know how you feel! I think it depends on how confident you are for the exam; I know for my grade 8 oboe I left it very last minute - like three weeks before the exam but I was really ready to take it and knew my scales anyway and had done grade 8 Aural tests before. I would really recommend getting a CD for Aural test practice as grade 8 is really difficult. Scales are a definite to get under your fingers, these should be easy marks. I always but names of the scales onto strips of paper and pull them out of a bag and go through them all each day. If I make a mistake I then come back to it at the end and practice until I can play it three times consecutively. And I agree with ChocolateMelody, practice the bits of the pieces you need to practice SLOWLY. I struggle so much with tuning on the violin so if there is a bar that goes out of tune just strip away the rhythm and bowing and play it one note at a time. Just don't panic - eight weeks is plenty of time. What pieces are you playing out of interest? :biggrin:

Hey! Thanks for all of your help! My pieces are Haydn's Finale, Brahms Andante Tranquillo 2nd movt from sonata in A and Remembrances from Schindlers List :smile: what about you? It's ABRSM by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by GregOrganist
I think it is the quality of the practice rather than the quantity of it that matters. If you can make practicing enjoyable then that is even better. So how do you make the quality of your practicing count and be enjoyable?

1) Don't make your practice sessions too long. Shorter sessions more often, is better than a long single session. You will concentrate better and it won't seem like a long boring chore.

2) Don't do the same routine every time: i.e. exercises, then scales, then pieces, then sight-reading. Concentrate on a particular area i.e. a hard section of a piece, or the scales you have the most difficulty with.

3) Don't leave all your practicing to the last minute before the exam. You want to be in the position that you won't be nervous because you haven't practiced enough. Being nervous because you are performing is natural but being nervous because you have haven't practiced enough is destructive and it will almost lose you marks.

4) Perform your pieces in front of family, friends etc. Apart from giving you confidence, it will allow you to point out your weaknesses in a way that lone practicing doesn't.

Wow! You sound like you know what you're talking about haha thanks so much! Yea scales should be easy marks and having a good foundation in scales makes sight reading so much easier it's just I'm one of those people who keeps putting them off because they aren't really that fun compared to pieces! Also I really need to practice in front of people like you suggested because I get really really nervous before every exam and it affects my intonation and vibrato :frown: thanks to everyone! All answers have been amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi oh_life

If you are finding scales boring. make a load of labels and write a scale or arpeggio on each of them then put them in a bowl and pick one at a time to play. If you play a scale perfectly without mistakes put it on the 'good' pile. If you make a mistake practice the difficult scale aiming to play it three times in a row perfectly. Once you have done that put the scale back into the pot.

Don't just start practicing a piece from the beginning to the end. Start by playing the last bar first. Then play the penultimate bar then the last bar, the the third last bar, the penultimate bar then the last bar, and so on... You will gain better satisfaction by constantly repeating the music you have already practiced and recognise. Keep doing it until you reach the first bar and I guarantee your piece will sound much better. Don't go to the next bar before until you have mastered the current new bar. If you have played the bar after correcting it perfectly three times then continue to the end of the piece then add the new bar.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by oh_life
Hey! Thanks for all of your help! My pieces are Haydn's Finale, Brahms Andante Tranquillo 2nd movt from sonata in A and Remembrances from Schindlers List :smile: what about you? It's ABRSM by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing ABRSM as well. Doing third movement from Spring by Vivaldi and like you Remembrances (which I absolutely love :biggrin: ) Have yet to choose my third piece. Best of luck!!!
Reply 9
Original post by GregOrganist
Hi oh_life

If you are finding scales boring. make a load of labels and write a scale or arpeggio on each of them then put them in a bowl and pick one at a time to play. If you play a scale perfectly without mistakes put it on the 'good' pile. If you make a mistake practice the difficult scale aiming to play it three times in a row perfectly. Once you have done that put the scale back into the pot.

Don't just start practicing a piece from the beginning to the end. Start by playing the last bar first. Then play the penultimate bar then the last bar, the the third last bar, the penultimate bar then the last bar, and so on... You will gain better satisfaction by constantly repeating the music you have already practiced and recognise. Keep doing it until you reach the first bar and I guarantee your piece will sound much better. Don't go to the next bar before until you have mastered the current new bar. If you have played the bar after correcting it perfectly three times then continue to the end of the piece then add the new bar.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Oh cool! So the scales become more like a game than a chore? Nice idea! Your bar by bar method should really help me with the cadenza in Remembrances! Thanks <3 I feel a lot more confident now that everyone's been helping me. I've been trying to do atleast 1-2hours every night doing scales and studies and pieces and I play in an orchestra so I'm taking random sections of our music and trying to sight read them. I have ordered the aural book as well so hopefully I can start them soon as well! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
QUOTE=Europa192;44793859]I am doing ABRSM as well. Doing third movement from Spring by Vivaldi and like you Remembrances (which I absolutely love :biggrin: ) Have yet to choose my third piece. Best of luck!!!

Yes! I know Spring as well because my teacher didn't know which piece to do between it and Haydn and Remembrances is gorgeous! Although every time it gets to that cadenza my heart does beat a little faster haha I'm always so glad to get it over with! If you find it daunting as well read GregOrganist's last comment! It's really good :smile: thank you :smile: good luck with your exam too xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi, same here, I try to practise between one and two hours a day but scales don't seem to improve or only very slowly. I'm 69 nearly so that might be the reason...Pieces improving slowly but not good enough yet. I may take the exam as a dress rehearsal but the price! No time for studies as well. Have trouble with slurred arpeggios and top octaves. So you have a fellow sufferer.
I think around 1 to 2 hours a day. I did my cello grade 7 exam recently and I practised for around 2.5 hours for the last week. Normally I prac for 1.5 hrs. If you think practise is boring, don't do it all in one go- instead, split it up to make it seem shorter. Like do 40 mins in the morning, 40 mins in midday and 30 mins at night (just a suggestion) but you don't need to practise for that long each day. I know a friend who plays violin and practises for 40 mins per day just before her grade 6 violin exam!!!! And she got a A+

Concentrating while practise is most important. If you concentrate, you can prac for a shorter time but still learning more. So do EXACTLY what your teacher says. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Also if you can't get a phrase right, repeat playing it till it's perfect.

Hope I helped! :smile: :smile:
I think around 1 to 2 hours a day. I did my cello grade 7 exam recently and I practised for around 2.5 hours for the last week. Normally I prac for 1.5 hrs. If you think practise is boring, don't do it all in one go- instead, split it up to make it seem shorter. Like do 40 mins in the morning, 40 mins in midday and 30 mins at night (just a suggestion) but you don't need to practise for that long each day. I know a friend who plays violin and practises for 40 mins per day just before her grade 6 violin exam!!!! And she got a A+

Concentrating while practise is most important. If you concentrate, you can prac for a shorter time but still learning more. So do EXACTLY what your teacher says. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Also if you can't get a phrase right, repeat playing it till it's perfect.

Hope I helped! :smile: :smile:

Hope I helped! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Gayna
Hi, same here, I try to practise between one and two hours a day but scales don't seem to improve or only very slowly. I'm 69 nearly so that might be the reason...Pieces improving slowly but not good enough yet. I may take the exam as a dress rehearsal but the price! No time for studies as well. Have trouble with slurred arpeggios and top octaves. So you have a fellow sufferer.

You're working through the grades at 69? You are my ultimate inspiration. I am waiting until I have money to pick up piano again (I emigrated and don't have a piano here yet) and I think I'll actually have to wait until I've finished my degree (starting in January and it lasts for six years) and have worked for a year or two and moved into a house instead of a flat to actually be able to pick up violin/viola. :teehee:
I have six days to go before my violin grade 8 AMEB!! Feeling quite prepared in most areas ...just have performance nerve issues..(any suggestions would be appreciated) I think the last 2 months is the best time to really focus and prepare yourself as we really have no other choice!! I am 42 and this is a lifetime goal for me! I have valued some of the comments above and will use them in next few days! ... Cheers maz from Australia!
I have six days until my violin grade 8 AMEB exam! I am pumped and feel ready... Just a few issues with my nerves ... I have really valued all the comments above and will use some of these suggestions for my final days! I think the last 2 months is the best time to really focus and will yourself to get ready!... I am 42 ...and I have taken this on as a lifetime goal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending