The Student Room Group

Chemistry help! GCSE

I am not bad at chemistry..but still I am kind of having a problem how I should revise for a grade 9! I am currently in summer break for before year 11..should I write huge notes or just read through the books..
Flash cards never work for me..
Please help!
(edited 8 months ago)
Definitely not huge notes! Or just reading through the book. Neither of these methods check if its going into your long term memory.

If flash cards don't work, instead of notes, write yourself questions and answers. Then test yourself on your own questions after a few days.

Also, to nail the 9, go through the specification to make sure you understand every part of the concepts they can test you on. Any you don't, use revision clips on youtube as good tutorials. And do past paper questions. Use the markschemes to teach yourself how they ask questions and what they expect in model answers.
This is an extremely useful free resource: https://cognitoresources.org/
Original post by totallyfine
Definitely not huge notes! Or just reading through the book. Neither of these methods check if its going into your long term memory.

If flash cards don't work, instead of notes, write yourself questions and answers. Then test yourself on your own questions after a few days.

Also, to nail the 9, go through the specification to make sure you understand every part of the concepts they can test you on. Any you don't, use revision clips on youtube as good tutorials. And do past paper questions. Use the markschemes to teach yourself how they ask questions and what they expect in model answers.
This is an extremely useful free resource: https://cognitoresources.org/

Thank you so much! it really helps a lot..Thank you sooo much once again<3
Reply 3
. Use cognito on YouTube as it helps if you’re a visual learner
. CGP Target 8-9 Chemistry Workbook which helps with practicing longer questions.
. Learn where mistakes can be made (e.g are you making mistakes with maths, or missing out on the 6th mark on the 6 markers) and tackle this e.g by practicing more of these question types
. Make flash cards in order to learn common ions. These are the only real time you should need to make flash cards and these should help you memorize them. I recommend using Seneca or Quizlet to save time.
. Practice topic based questions on physics maths tutor and look over mark scheme. Highlight areas where you made mistakes, watch a cognito video on these, and either retry or try different questions.
. Past papers

To be honest I didn’t use flash cards often as a grade 9 student, I saw making them as a waste of time and practiced questions a lot more as this helps with active recall
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by kitty15
. Use cognito on YouTube as it helps if you’re a visual learner
. CGP Target 8-9 Chemistry Workbook which helps with practicing longer questions.
. Learn where mistakes can be made (e.g are you making mistakes with maths, or missing out on the 6th mark on the 6 markers) and tackle this e.g by practicing more of these question types
. Make flash cards in order to learn common ions. These are the only real time you should need to make flash cards and these should help you memorize them. I recommend using Seneca or Quizlet to save time.
. Practice topic based questions on physics maths tutor and look over mark scheme. Highlight areas where you made mistakes, watch a cognito video on these, and either retry or try different questions.
. Past papers

To be honest I didn’t use flash cards often as a grade 9 student, I saw making them as a waste of time and practiced questions a lot more as this helps with active recall

Thank you so much for taking your time to type such a worthy reply..!!!!
I would definitely try it all!
Reply 5
Original post by Supipi Rajapakse
Thank you so much for taking your time to type such a worthy reply..!!!!
I would definitely try it all!

I got my highest score in the sciences from chemistry 157/200 so a grade 9! On paper 2 I got 86/100 which I’m surprised by
Original post by kitty15
I got my highest score in the sciences from chemistry 157/200 so a grade 9! On paper 2 I got 86/100 which I’m surprised by

WOWWW!!!! THAT"S TOTALLY INCREDIBLEEEEE!!!!! well done bestie!!! <3333

Quick Reply

Latest