The Student Room Group

using "etc." in personal statement

Should I try to avoid using "etc" in my PS? I've used two instances but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I seem to vaguely recall reading an article saying not to use it, but I'm not sure. I'm also pretty damn close to the limit of 47 lines, so it'll be a lot of work to expand out the etc to words.
Reply 1
Original post by the_chemist
Should I try to avoid using "etc" in my PS? I've used two instances but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I seem to vaguely recall reading an article saying not to use it, but I'm not sure. I'm also pretty damn close to the limit of 47 lines, so it'll be a lot of work to expand out the etc to words.

NEVER NEVER NEVER

Admissions have never met you, so won't understand anything 'etc.'
Reply 2
what if I want to say learning this, that and the other etc. were interesting (for example. not the best line, I know). Should I avoid it in all circumstances?
Reply 3
Original post by the_chemist
what if I want to say learning this, that and the other etc. were interesting (for example. not the best line, I know). Should I avoid it in all circumstances?

etc kind of implies the reader knows what you and the context your about.

Since the PS is personal stuff, then etc wouldnt really work or flow. Just dont use it at all.

Just use a phrase like 'Learning these topics has allowed me....'
Reply 4
thank you :smile:
Don't. Try "...and so on/forth" or something instead. :smile:
etc. is a bit too informal. Just write the first few things in full. If the etc isn't important enough to be mentioned, then leaving it out entirely won't have a negative effect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending