The Student Room Group

Shouldnt I be getting over this by now?

So I started talking to this guy a couple of months ago and we instantly got on really well. He had a gf and I was cool with that because we were just friends. After a while I started geting feelings for him, but I didnt say or do anything because I didnt think it was right with him having a gf and all. We used to text like every day though, and he was always really nice to me.

After we'd known each other for a couple of months he started like flirting with me, not much at first and I just kind of gave generic non-commital answers because he had a gf. But eventually he started saying stuff to me like that I was exactly his type and that he really liked talking to me. And he had said to me (and I had heard him say to others) that he was going to break up with his gf (for reasons that were nothing to do with me).

I waited like another month and he didnt break up with her and kept saying really sweet things to me. I told him by text that I liked him and at first he didnt say anything, only saying that he wasnt going to cheat on his gf (which was not what I was suggesting at all). He never actually siad he liked me back until I next saw him (like a week after I told him I liked him) but hinted at it by text.

So from this point I just assumed he was going to break up with his girlfriend and go out with me. He would say really nice things to me, and led me to beleive that we were going to get together.

But like a month after that he still hadnt broke up with his gf. I asked him about it one night and we ended up getting in a massive fight and him basically saying that he doesnt know when he is going to break up with his gf (although he says he definatley is, which really confused me) and that he doesnt know if hes ready for a relationship when he does. I basically said that I cant keep waiting around for him and I told him that I needed to cut all contact so that I could get over him and now we dont talk. The way I see it he led me on knowing that there was no way that it would ever go anywhere and knowing how much I wanted it to. It made me doubt everything that he ever said to me and it really really upset me.

Although we never actually did anything (like at all) he was the first guy that I properly liked and I was really really into him. Like I say, we talked nearly every day for like 4 months and really trusted him, so now its really hard that we're not talking at all. It's almost like I was a better person when I was around him, like a version of myself that I liked a lot more.

The problem is that I cant seem to get over him. It's been like nearly 3 weeks now and every time I see him or even think about him I feel really horrible. I see him at college all the time, and he often talks to people in my friend-group so its really akward because when one of us speaks the other has to almost leave the conversation. I know that some of that is to do with me feeling lonely and self-concious again, but I do really miss him and everything I do reminds me of him.

Shouldnt I be getting over this by now? I mean it's not like we were actually together or anything. I just dont know what to do to get over him.

Thanks for any help <3
Original post by Anonymous
So I started talking to this guy a couple of months ago and we instantly got on really well. He had a gf and I was cool with that because we were just friends. After a while I started geting feelings for him, but I didnt say or do anything because I didnt think it was right with him having a gf and all. We used to text like every day though, and he was always really nice to me.

After we'd known each other for a couple of months he started like flirting with me, not much at first and I just kind of gave generic non-commital answers because he had a gf. But eventually he started saying stuff to me like that I was exactly his type and that he really liked talking to me. And he had said to me (and I had heard him say to others) that he was going to break up with his gf (for reasons that were nothing to do with me).

I waited like another month and he didnt break up with her and kept saying really sweet things to me. I told him by text that I liked him and at first he didnt say anything, only saying that he wasnt going to cheat on his gf (which was not what I was suggesting at all). He never actually siad he liked me back until I next saw him (like a week after I told him I liked him) but hinted at it by text.

So from this point I just assumed he was going to break up with his girlfriend and go out with me. He would say really nice things to me, and led me to beleive that we were going to get together.

But like a month after that he still hadnt broke up with his gf. I asked him about it one night and we ended up getting in a massive fight and him basically saying that he doesnt know when he is going to break up with his gf (although he says he definatley is, which really confused me) and that he doesnt know if hes ready for a relationship when he does. I basically said that I cant keep waiting around for him and I told him that I needed to cut all contact so that I could get over him and now we dont talk. The way I see it he led me on knowing that there was no way that it would ever go anywhere and knowing how much I wanted it to. It made me doubt everything that he ever said to me and it really really upset me.

Although we never actually did anything (like at all) he was the first guy that I properly liked and I was really really into him. Like I say, we talked nearly every day for like 4 months and really trusted him, so now its really hard that we're not talking at all. It's almost like I was a better person when I was around him, like a version of myself that I liked a lot more.

The problem is that I cant seem to get over him. It's been like nearly 3 weeks now and every time I see him or even think about him I feel really horrible. I see him at college all the time, and he often talks to people in my friend-group so its really akward because when one of us speaks the other has to almost leave the conversation. I know that some of that is to do with me feeling lonely and self-concious again, but I do really miss him and everything I do reminds me of him.

Shouldnt I be getting over this by now? I mean it's not like we were actually together or anything. I just dont know what to do to get over him.

Thanks for any help <3

wow he sounds like a dick, he shouldn't be talking to you like that when he has a gf :frown: what if he did that to you if you two were together?

3 weeks isn't that long, it'll just take some more time. Just act normal and get on with other things...
Reply 2
Yeah 3 weeks ain't that long. Getting over someone is like a cooking a steak.

You had feelings for him for 4 months = its gonna take 4 months for those to **** off.

btw coming for a males perspective he was going for a "I don't want to be with my girlfriend anymore but I don't want to enter into the chasing girls scene again. Oh this girl likes me, maybe shes up for just ****ing if I break up with my girlfriend thus no effort on my part" play.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending