The Student Room Group

Will I get into Med School with only 3 AS subjects

I currenty take maths chemistry and biology at AS level. Im planning on applying to med school(specifically Kings College and Barts). I wanted to do 4 but i really hate physics and there are not many other options in my school. I am an international student btw. So will having only 3 subjects at AS hinder me from getting an admission?
I don't know much about the matter, but I know that Barts operate on UCAS points so the extra AS (up to 60 points) would be crucial due to the competition.
Original post by ekpenyongnsa
I currenty take maths chemistry and biology at AS level. Im planning on applying to med school(specifically Kings College and Barts). I wanted to do 4 but i really hate physics and there are not many other options in my school. I am an international student btw. So will having only 3 subjects at AS hinder me from getting an admission?

The answer quite simply is yes, most if not all unis ask for 4ASs! As an international as well the competition for you is harder so you need the best grades and at least 4 ASs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
you're an international student. use that to your advantage. do another a level in your native language.
Reply 4

Bart's favours applicants with at least 4 AS Levels due to their points system. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smd4std
you're an international student. use that to your advantage. do another a level in your native language.

That won't help. Universities usually exclude this from offers precisely because it is too easy.
Reply 6
Original post by smd4std

my native language is not offered in d exam but i can do french...would this be a good decision or do i just have to man up and take physics
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That won't help. Universities usually exclude this from offers precisely because it is too easy.

my native language is not offered in d exam but i can do french...would this be a good decision or do i just have to man up and take physics

A language is a good 4th, but baring in kind they come with their own difficulties! Just like Physics would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only you can decide that. I'd go for whatever you would get the best grade in, assuming you have 2 sciences including chemistry.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would recommend doing a 4th: more UCAS points, plus only doing 3 might send a message to unis that you can't handle the pressure of 4, which is BAD considering you're applying to an extremely stressful degree. I know it's not true, but that's what they might read into it. Don't take physics if you hate it. You can have any subject as your 4th (though I wouldn't recommend media/business etc)
Reply 11
Original post by carnationlilyrose

well that's pretty much bs
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13

i did a levels in one of my native languages and yet they still accepted it as a full a level :smile:
Original post by smd4std
i did a levels in one of my native languages and yet they still accepted it as a full a level :smile:

Then you were lucky. It is not universally accepted.
Reply 15
Original post by callummj6747
The answer quite simply is yes, most if not all unis ask for 4ASs! As an international as well the competition for you is harder so you need the best grades and at least 4 ASsPosted from TSR Mobile
i checked kings website and the specific requirements for students my country was 3 Cambridge A levels AAA and WAEC. Nothing was mention about having a fourth subject at AS although a fourth subject was included for requirements for citizens and students some from other countries. So is it still necessary to take a fourth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending